Small Questions v 10086

Stubby

A-knees is another option.

Close. I don't remember if it was SSM or youtu.be interview, but Ae in Valyrian names was supposed to be pronounced ayiee. Like German Ei or Dutch Y as in the words rise or rice ... or the famous "either" not being pronounced anything like "(e)ether". Or as in Valyrian "tomaetos" and "potaetos"...

As for Roy mispronouncing... I would be happy if he got it at least consistent with the names.

Then again, Martin says Lyanna is to be pronounced LIE-anna. Who ever does that?

eta: realising I may have been partly wrong, I found these:

He laughed and said no because he doesn't really know how to pronounce them himself. He did say that the Audio Books do have errors in pronunciation. (Petyr is just Peter, for example.)

Some he did say during the course of the evening:

Cersei = Sir-say

Jaime = Jamie (I think that was obvious but just in case)

Sansa = Sahn-sa

Tyrion = Tear-ion

Brienne = BriennE (pronounced long e at the end there)

Arya = Ar-Ya (Ex, Are ya?)

Daenerys = Dane-err-is

SSM 1372 US Signing Tour (New York City, NY)

I was just wondering how you pronounce some of the charcters names in A GAME OF THRONES.

Is the 'ae' in many Targaryen names pronounced 'ay' ?

yes, in most cases

For example, is Maester 'Master' (like normally pronounced) or is it 'May-ster' or is it 'My-ster') or something else?

may-ster

And what about Cersei? (I say Seer-see)

Sir-sei

Is Lysa - Lee-sa or Ly-za?

Lie-sa

Is Benjen benjen or Ben-yen?

Ben - Jen

Is Tyrion 'Tee-re-yon' or 'Ty-REE-yon' or something else?

tear-ree-on

Various Pronunciations

Still haven't dug up the general AE rule and the Lyanna case, I'll keep digging.

So all I got to try and determine Pia's age in 281 AC is the word "girl"?, now, a lot of ages qualify for that...

That's how I always pronounce it in my head

Yeas... and then, was she not remembering Harrenhal "as a girl" in 281 and in 299-300 is still being called a girl? If it isn't just for her occupation, I'd say she is still well below 30. Jaime personally thinks she is still good-looking for all the mistreatment she received. Wonder if that helps convince us she is still quite young, too. :-/

eta: /nm

He's not glamoured anymore is he? I assumed he went to Winterfell as Mance/Abel, but not glamoured. Now I think on it though, do we actually know that?

While I had been assuming he was neither glamoured nor ruby-remote-controlled anymore; while trying to dig up references from the four Winterfell chapters in ADwD I failed to obtain a description of him, though.

Will have to read it again slowly. Hopefully someone else will know the answer!

He's not glamoured anymore is he? I assumed he went to Winterfell as Mance/Abel, but not glamoured. Now I think on it though, do we actually know that?

I assumed he wasn't glamored anymore, but that's mostly because there's no mention of him wearing a giant ruby around his wrist, which would have been... less than subtle.

Is Rattleshirt "disguised" as Mance or Mance as Rattleshirt?

The man who died in the fire cage/by the arrows was Rattleshirt, disguised by Mel as Mance (which is why he was screaming about magic, and denying his kingship)

The rattleshirt that lives at CB since then is Mance is disguise, glamoured by Melisandre using the bones of rattleshirts armour.

After leaving CB, a disguise might not be necessary anymore. That would depend on the women who went with him.

That Horn of Winter - of Joramun maybe... or maybe he is looking for Rhaegar's high harp. ;)

eta: or the original sword Ice.

I was wondering, is there any passage in the WF chapters mentioning or implying Mance was able to make it into the crypts successfully?

If Jon was born before Ned arrived at the TOJ, who delivered him and took care of him and tended to Lyanna's sickness in the meantime? And for how long?

You shold post that question in R+L=J. You will get a thousand and one responses and spark half a hundred new debates.

If Jon was born before Ned arrived at the TOJ, who delivered him and took care of him and tended to Lyanna's sickness in the meantime? And for how long?

The usual suspects. Who delivered Robb Stark, who delivered Rhaegar Targaryen whilst Summerhall burned to the ground, who Walder Frey? Questions. ...

1) whoever was present a the tower. Besides Ned, only Howland survived the fight, yet they found Ned holding Lyanna. We don't know who the other person(s) or they are, but it being a wetnurse, or a midwife, seems very much possible.

2) Most likely, the same person as above, since there most likely wouldn't be many people at the tower, and the KG had other stuff to dol

3) Though the pinned R+L=J thread mostly believes that Lyanna died of puerpetal fever, and thus died 3 to 10 days after the birth. It should be noted that Lyanna's exact cause of fever hasn't been confirmed. From the Westerland reading during ConCarolinas, we know that the mother of Tywin, Genna, Kevan, Tygett and Gerion died a month after giving birth. The same could technically be possible for Lyanna. Though again, we need more info on Lyanna's exact cause of fever to state anything with certainty.

Archived