Small Questions v 10086

Stubby

If this is a repeat, I'm sorry, but here's my question:

At some point in aGoT, Jon thinks about the wolves and about how Sansa's wolf is dead. How did he know that? The only logical explanation I can think of is that Arya sent him a raven about it, but there's no mention of that, and at any rate it seems like it takes a very long time for news to get to the wall... is this a tiny plot hole or have I missed something?

Possible.answers:

1) Plot hole

2) It was in.the letter Robb sent.about Bran waking.up

3) A warg subconciois connection to the wolves of.his siblings.

ETA: we.need an FAQ of small questions in the OP :p

I'm confused AF about the Faceless Men. Obviously they have their own end game in mind, which I'll need to look into... But what I'm not getting is this. In Dance, the kindly man says something along the lines of 'it is not for us to choose who receives the gift' and they dont do it for selfish reasons or coin ,or similar , meaning they don't get to choose who they kill, it's the many faced god.

So going back to AGoT, at a small council meeting , there's talk of hiring a faceless man to kill Dany.

So my question(s) are, what the hell is the deal here? Could robert really have just sent an envoy with some gold and ask for them to kill Daenerys? Are they really just hired assassins?

I'm confused AF about the Faceless Men. Obviously they have their own end game in mind, which I'll need to look into... But what I'm not getting is this. In Dance, the kindly man says something along the lines of 'it is not for us to choose who receives the gift' and they dont do it for selfish reasons or coin ,or similar , meaning they don't get to choose who they kill, it's the many faced god.

So going back to AGoT, at a small council meeting , there's talk of hiring a faceless man to kill Dany.

So my question(s) are, what the hell is the deal here? Could robert really have just sent an envoy with some gold and ask for them to kill Daenerys? Are they really just hired assassins?

I think what he means by "it's not for us to choose" is that a Faceless Man is not supposed to say "oh there's that guy who killed my father, lemme kill him while I'm here." They're only supposed to kill people they are ordered to kill, and never anyone they know.

They definitely take contracts, just ask the waif. The thing is it seems what they want as payment is what you hold most precious, not necessarily just money. I don't know what they would have asked for as payment from Robert. The contents of his wine cellar?

They are hired assassins. The thing is, as RumHam says, that given both Robert and Dany's importance and rank, the price would've been ridiculous.

Did Robb Stark have a hand of the King ?

No, not officially. The Hand of the King was an office created by Aegon I, the Kings in the North didn't have a Hand.

That said, Robb did have meetings with his high lords, those he trusted, like Brynden Tully, with whom he discussed issues. Together, these lords occupied a position that can be compared to the office of Hand of the King.

:ninja: ed by Rumham

Not that we know of. The position of Hand was invented by Aegon I. I think Robb was modeling himself more on the old Kings of Winter.

Yeah, he didn't have seven Kingsguards either. But for the most time, I think the Blackfish could've been considered Robb's hand practically, if not on paper.

Yeah, he didn't have seven Kingsguards either. But for the most time, I think the Blackfish could've been considered Robb's hand practically, if not on paper.

Or the Greatjon... Well, I guess the Blackfish can be considered the Hand of the King and the Greatjon the (Strong) Right Arm of the King :)

I always thought his "Battle Companions" or whatever he called them, Theon and the Karstark boys and all, were kind of akin to a Kingsguard, in battle at least.

Do we know what is the highest peak in Westeros (and how high) or the highest mountain range?

Probably Frostfangs, as GRRM said they're his Himalayas. Dunno, maybe he said that because of its cold climate and stuff but they look tall in TLOIAF.

They are smaller from Bone Mountains in Essos though. I imagine The Bones as incredibly gigantic.

Im inclined to say yes, given their lower status they probably never married outside of the North and thus would have never married into an andal family.

The Stark family tree we saw shows, at least since the Dance of Dragons, the Starks only married outside of the North a few times. Can't check the link, but I remember once was a Blackwood, once was a Royce, both of whom are First Men houses

The Stark family tree we saw shows, at least since the Dance of Dragons, the Starks only married outside of the North a few times. Can't check the link, but I remember once was a Blackwood, once was a Royce, both of whom are First Men houses

Yes, but the Tullys aren't, to my knowledge, nor are the Manderlys.

Yes, but the Tullys aren't, to my knowledge, nor are the Manderlys.

Do we know there is no Bolton-Manderly marriage though? Afterallm there are only so many houses in the North.

And yeah, completely forgot/disregarded the current generation...my bad...

Do we know there is no Bolton-Manderly marriage though? Afterallm there are only so many houses in the North.

And yeah, completely forgot/disregarded the current generation...my bad...

We can't say that no, but we do know for a fact that the Starks have married Andal houses multiple times and we do not know that as a fact for the Boltons. I also think lords often marry the daughters of their bannerman rather than rivals across the regions with lands in the middle, it seems like to me that most Bolton marriages would have been to Umbers, Karstarks, Waynwoods, and their lesser bannermen.

Archived