Small Questions v 10086

Stubby

We can't say that no, but we do know for a fact that the Starks have married Andal houses multiple times and we do not know that as a fact for the Boltons. I also think lords often marry the daughters of their bannerman rather than rivals across the regions with lands in the middle, it seems like to me that most Bolton marriages would have been to Umbers, Karstarks, Waynwoods, and their lesser bannermen.

I think the Boltons together with the Umbers , Skagosi , mountain clans , crannogmen are the northerners with most first men blood. I think this has something to do with the flaying , most likely this was a tradition who was widespread in the North. They may also do this tradition on Skagos , i think the flaying think symbolise that the Boltons are true first men , more than the Starks.

I'm confused AF about the Faceless Men. Obviously they have their own end game in mind, which I'll need to look into... But what I'm not getting is this. In Dance, the kindly man says something along the lines of 'it is not for us to choose who receives the gift' and they dont do it for selfish reasons or coin ,or similar , meaning they don't get to choose who they kill, it's the many faced god.

So going back to AGoT, at a small council meeting , there's talk of hiring a faceless man to kill Dany.

So my question(s) are, what the hell is the deal here? Could robert really have just sent an envoy with some gold and ask for them to kill Daenerys? Are they really just hired assassins?

in this SSM the George suggests that the FM are nothing but a guild of paid assassins...

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/The_Cost_of_Faceless_Men

But as I read the books it seems to me that they are more of a religious cult and like any religious cult they most likely have an agenda.

I think the Boltons together with the Umbers , Skagosi , mountain clans , crannogmen are the northerners with most first men blood. I think this has something to do with the flaying , most likely this was a tradition who was widespread in the North. They may also do this tradition on Skagos , i think the flaying think symbolise that the Boltons are true first men , more than the Starks.

What makes you think that? I mean, Skagosi cannibalism kind of makes sense in a First men kind of way (long winters, no food, etc.), but flaying is just torture.

Flaying = First Men?

:shocked: um....

Flaying = First Men?

:shocked: um....

Just a tought I had. It was a theory that suggested the flaying was linked to blood magic practiced by first men before Aegons landing and that the Bolton is the only one who still do this. Thats why I suggested first men = flaying.

Just a tought I had. It was a theory that suggested the flaying was linked to blood magic practiced by first men before Aegons landing and that the Bolton is the only one who still do this. Thats why I suggested first men = flaying.

Blood sacrifice, yes. Flaying, no.

I've seen it suggested that flaying was the boltons trying to figure out skin changing.

You can't say who has more First Men blood, as we don't know who the Boltons married, usually

No, we can't say for sure, but I think I laid out a pretty strong argument as to why they would have more than the Starks.

Has there been a definite explanation of the title, "Protector of the Realm?"

IIRC it came up in TRP and TP&TQ, but I can't remember any details.

It's the person who is charged with defending the realm, usually the king. The wardens answer to him. Baelor Breakspear was Protector of the Realm during the latter part of his fathers rule. Presumably because his father was too frail to lead an army. Aemond took up the tile Protector of the Realm when Aegon II was wounded for the same reason. Daemon was Rhaenyra's Protector of the Realm presumably because she was a woman and I guess they felt shouldn't be fighting (even though she was a dragon rider. Go figure.)

Edit: Just to add, Ned was named Protector of the Realm for Joffrey by Robert. Then Cersei took the title when he was imprisoned.

Has there been a definite explanation of the title, "Protector of the Realm?"

IIRC it came up in TRP and TP&TQ, but I can't remember any details.

I believe its the kings version of warden.

It is one of the many titles associated with the Iron Throne, it appears a lot of times*

AGoT 01 Bran I

AGoT 03 Daenerys I

AGoT 43 Eddard XI

AGoT 47 Eddard XIII

AGoT 49 Eddard XIV

AGoT 57 Sansa V

AGoT 65 Arya V

ACoK 55 Catelyn VII

ACoK 57 Sansa V

ADwD 35 Jon VII

The Hedge Knight

The Mystery Knight

The Princess and The Queen

The Rogue Prince

It is one of the many titles associated with the Iron Throne, it appears a lot of times*

But there are almost no details about it in the main books. TRP and TP&TQ seemed to go somewhat into detail. I don't own either of those stories yet, just read them once.

who was Regent in a A Storm of swords. Tywin was Protector of realm but was Cersei still Queen Regent?

Actually Cersei was both Regent and Protector of the Realm. I don't think Tywin ever claimed that title, oddly.

This might be a big question but,...

Is there any reason to believe that Aerys toyed with removing Rhaegar from the line of succession? Could he do that?

If he was as paranoid/suspicious of Rhaegar, would he put that out as a threat?

Yes, he could do that. There's no indication that he considered it so far. Though we know he didn't totally trust Rhaegar.

Archived