ASOIAF crossword: I sent letters about Cersei’s first sexual relationship! (6)

Happy Ent

Oooh, I like "Craster" there, too!; having Cersei there made it easier for me as a newbie!

19. Leave out central promise to Targaryen leader. (4)

Omit. "Omi" is central to the word "promise" and "t" is the "leader," i.e. first letter, of the word "Targaryen." And it means "leave out," of course!

Perfect.

Now you’ve gotten the hang of it you will begin to appreciate that cryptic clues are in many ways easier than standard (non-cryptic) clues: once you have the answer, you don’t really need anybody to confirm it. Each answer is self-checking, unlike entering PARIS for “European capital”, which you’d need to confirm with crossing words.

16 is correct, but

I’d explain it as announcement = advertisement, shortened to ad.

So is 17, but

I sneakily used “sworn” as an anagram indicator, as in “used foul language”, “was blasphemous”. So the wordplay i “REWARDTENTH sworn”, the straight clue is “brother of the night’s watch.”

2. Initially festive, until Gwyneth and Cletus Yronwood's banishment.

Fugacy. "initially"

Festive Until Gwyneth And Cletus Yronwood's, and the straight clue is "banishment."

9. Sellsword captain carried goods, having a change of heart towards early retirement.

Caggo (a captain of the Windblown). Carried goods=cargo, with a change of heart (the middle letter "r") towards early retirement=the first letter of the word retirement. I'm pretty sure that I'm missing stuff with the explanation, since I see that there's also something going on with the "car" and the "go" of "carried goods" (maybe "captain" is meant to apply to them?) and I suspect that there's something else going on with "towards early retirement" but I'm too dense to figure it out. :frown5:

2 and 9 are both correct and correctly analysed.

The wordplay for 9 is arguably “in the wrong direction”, since CAGGO needs to “change his heart towards R”.

An earlier version of the clue had “colourblind at heart” to indicate the change from Red to Green, but this seemed to be too ambiguous.

“change of heart towards” something with G. “Ghis first”?

Suggestions are welcome. The CAGGO clue took a long time and never really clicked.

2 and 9 are both correct and correctly analysed.

The wordplay for 9 is arguably “in the wrong direction”, since CAGGO needs to “change his heart towards R”.

An earlier version of the clue had “colourblind at heart” to indicate the change from Red to Green, but this seemed to be too ambiguous.

“change of heart towards” something with G. “Ghis first”?

Suggestions are welcome. The CAGGO clue took a long time and never really clicked.

Maybe "having a change of heart ahead of Ghis"? Or "having a change of heart in front of Greenguts"?

Also:

1. Heathen ironborn plundered plowed field.

Infidel. But I'm not sure I've got the explanation. Ironborn plundered= taking the "i" and "n" from "ironborn" and "plowed field" indicates anagram of field="fidel"

I've got guesses for a few more, but I'm not sure that I'm getting the clues.

23. Dwarf returned cup-shaped metal object to unknown artisan.

Ironbelly. There's something going on with cup-shaped metal object as bell or iron bell, and the "y" as unknown, but I'm clearly missing something...I don't get the "dwarf returned" at all...

Now this one I need some help figuring out:

25. Hedge knight's coat of ice is surrounded by expression of surprise.

Lorimer? "Rime" is a coat of frost or ice, and while "Lo" is an expression of surprise, what's with the "r" at the end? "Lor" isn't an expression of surprise, is it? Any help understanding would be great!

And also here:

21. Staunch and kingly, after change of allegiance.

So, help me out on this one. I figure it's playing around with "loyal" and "royal" but I don't know enough about the conventions of cryptics to figure out which one it is. I'm guessing it's "loyal" which becomes "royal" i.e. kingly, after a change from l to r, but I'm not sure why a change from l to r is a change in allegiance.

I've got guesses for a few more, but I'm not sure that I'm getting the clues.

23. Dwarf returned cup-shaped metal object to unknown artisan.

Ironbelly. There's something going on with cup-shaped metal object as bell or iron bell, and the "y" as unknown, but I'm clearly missing something...I don't get the "dwarf returned" at all...

I think it's supposed to be "returned cup-shaped metal object" = Iron Bell

So:

Straight clue = Ironbelly, a master smith hired by Tyrion (Dwarf)

returned cup-shaped metal object = Iron Bell

Unknown = Y (mathematical unknown)

My my my my head is hurting and steaming and I need a strong drink now.

Everything correct! Welcome to jr_72!

Analysis for 23:

NORI, a dwarf in the company of Bilbo Baggins in Tolkien’s The Hobbit, reversed, followed by a BELL (a, cup-shaped, metal object) followed, as DNDM points out, by the variable Y, for IRONBELLY, a master smith of King’s Landing. The surface reading tries to make you think of Tyrion, and possibly the chalice used to poison Joffrey.

Analysis for 25:

Lor’! is indeed an expression of suprise, see dictionary.com, e.g.

Analysis for 21:

L (left) and R (right) are allegiances, in politics.

Maybe “change of allegiances” should be “change of hands”. The surface reading is just as good (alluding to Robert using the word, kingly, and actually changing Hands), and “change of hands” is a more standard crosswordism for the desired wordplay.

Maybe “change of allegiances” should be “change of hands”. The surface reading is just as good (alluding to Robert using the word, kingly, and actually changing Hands), and “change of hands” is a more standard crosswordism for the desired wordplay.

I like the double meaning of hand/Hand there!

Archived