Point as to why Arya would even want to be a Faceless man?

Wavey Sauce

I'd just add that however skilled she may become, she will never forget who she is. And she'll never go all the way into the order, she'll return to Westeros.

It was already pretty scary that she had forgotten everything about her past including her mom and dad etc, until she saw an old face she wanted to kill. And she had not even been there super long, dont think more of this mind control training could some how shape a complete forget everything?

It is also possible the person in training only forgets past life until they complete training then maybe are able to learn who they once were I suppose?

Arya's already learned that to lie is a skill. But, to lie is never enough. Every lie must become truth.

Varys has to have been an FM. His ability to lie seems to be proof.

His 'little birds' are others like Arya. He has them living in darkness on the 4th level of dungeons. Hasn't Arya received training in how to live without eyes, by using other senses? They're all been trained to live without their ears too. It's why they can repeat precise words back to Varys. They have trained senses in short. They can all use daggers. Little birds live in the walls.

Basically, Arya's getting the skills she needs to cross off those still on her list.

What may dawn on Arya is that her wolf-dreams are with Nymeria. She's not made that association yet. It's not something she would reveal to anyone. That's her escape should No One come after her.

Without realising it, so it seems, she's even said that's a happier place she'd like to be..... and be afraid no more (IIRC).

This may seem unlikely on first reading, Arya defeats Robert Strong (aka The Mountain). Give it thought. While Arya's receiving her training, she's building up her weaponry. Poisons and potions can be classified as weapons. How does she do it? I have a theory.

In the event that Varys requires mercy, No One answers. Who'd be better to become Varys' successor? Going the opposite way, the face goes on about how large their member is, even though half's been bitten off.... and it's still bigger than anyone else's.

Arya's already learned that to lie is a skill. But, to lie is never enough. Every lie must become truth.

His 'little birds' are others like Arya. He has them living in darkness on the 4th level of dungeons. Hasn't Arya received training in how to live without eyes, by using other senses? They're all been trained to live without their ears too. It's why they can repeat precise words back to Varys. They have trained senses in short. They can all use daggers. Little birds live in the walls.

Basically, Arya's getting the skills she needs to cross off those still on her list.

What may dawn on Arya is that her wolf-dreams are with Nymeria. She's not made that association yet. It's not something she would reveal to anyone. That's her escape should No One come after her.

Without realising it, so it seems, she's even said that's a happier place she'd like to be..... and be afraid no more (IIRC).

This may seem unlikely on first reading, Arya defeats Robert Strong (aka The Mountain). Give it thought. While Arya's receiving her training, she's building up her weaponry. Poisons and potions can be classified as weapons. How does she do it? I have a theory.

In the event that Varys requires mercy, No One answers. Who'd be better to become Varys' successor? Going the opposite way, the face goes on about how large their member is, even though half's been bitten off.... and it's still bigger than anyone else's.

I

What?????

Arya wants to gain the FM skills to achieve her goals, but also just for their own sake. The same reason she wanted to learn to fight with a sword before her family was overtaken by calamity. She hates her weakness, hates being a sheep and not a wolf or a cat. She hates the idea of being a proper little lady like Sansa. She hates having been dragged helpless around the Riverlands so many times. Apprenticing with the FM is way to ensure that, no matter what else happens to her, she'll never again be a sheep.

Any info that Varys "little birds" are trained to kill though? Seems more or less they are just trained to be silent and to sneak around and steal secrets and info

Any info that Varys "little birds" are trained to kill though? Seems more or less they are just trained to be silent and to sneak around and steal secrets and info

The epilogue from 'Dragons':

“A child emerged from a pool of darkness, a pale boy in a ragged robe, no more than nine or ten. Another rose up behind the Grand Maester’s chair. The girl who had opened the door for him was there as well. They were all around him, half a dozen of them, white-faced children with dark eyes, boys and girls together.

And in their hands, the daggers.”

This is after Ser Kevan walks in to discover Pycelle slumped over at his table. Varys has just loosed a bolt into Ser Kevan. Varys tells him he's in the wrong place at the wrong time, basically. IIRC - If only it wasn't you.

The children show all the attributes of anyone held in a dark place for a long time.

Cast your mind back to when Varys is aiding Tyrion's escape. “This is the fourth level. Give me your hand, my lord. It is safer to walk in darkness here. There are things you would not wish to see.” Without saying so, this is clearly where his 'Little Birds' roost. Where else can he keep them? Who else goes down there? No One.

Many people not in the FM do know who they are though, even early on Little Finger offers to just hire a FM to take care of Dany.

Especially in Bravoss isnt it pretty well known that guild, or at least something like that exists? Jaquen had no trouble bringing up what a "FM" was compared to a Water Dancer

Well they have to know at least who they are, what they're capable of, and how to contact them or else the FM would never get business. That's different to knowing how their inner workings and methods behind their face changing.

The epilogue from 'Dragons':

“A child emerged from a pool of darkness, a pale boy in a ragged robe, no more than nine or ten. Another rose up behind the Grand Maester’s chair. The girl who had opened the door for him was there as well. They were all around him, half a dozen of them, white-faced children with dark eyes, boys and girls together.

And in their hands, the daggers.”

This is after Ser Kevan walks in to discover Pycelle slumped over at his table. Varys has just loosed a bolt into Ser Kevan. Varys tells him he's in the wrong place at the wrong time, basically. IIRC - If only it wasn't you.

The children show all the attributes of anyone held in a dark place for a long time.

Cast your mind back to when Varys is aiding Tyrion's escape. “This is the fourth level. Give me your hand, my lord. It is safer to walk in darkness here. There are things you would not wish to see.” Without saying so, this is clearly where his 'Little Birds' roost. Where else can he keep them? Who else goes down there? No One.

I figured I would see the part where they killed Kevan, aside from that, anything else where they are trained in that? Seems were following a simple order more or less when it was like 10v1

Well they have to know at least who they are, what they're capable of, and how to contact them or else the FM would never get business. That's different to knowing how their inner workings and methods behind their face changing.

Agreed, thats my point, not like they are some illumanati type where some people dont know if really exist or not

Faceless man kill only the ones they're hired to kill, but who said she had to abide by this rule? It's not like she will lose her powers if she ever does what she pleases. I think though that she will be sent to westeros on a mission by the temple, but will kill people from her list on the journey.

Because even with the play she was doing she should have easily been reminded of Ned, Cat, Robb, Joffrey etc, and she remembers or doesnt even think of 1 of them.

I think she just forced herself not to think of them? I remember her multiple times unintentionally acting starkish then quickly trying to think of something else. Like "First I complete my training as is asked, then I'll decide of who I really am". I don't believe she completely bought into their relegious stuff.

Also, welcome to the forums! (Sorry couldn't resist it)

Yeah, another great point by Pod the Impaler, and also a quote responded to by Lady Flandrensis that I agree with, especially this point:

Arya does think she has nothing left to live for.

That is something that I always come back to and also believe.

We as the readers know it is not true. We have a mother looking for her. Other people that don't have agendas that do. Jon hoped it was her with the fake Arya stuff. Bran and Rickon are alive. And from my opinion, I believe Gendry would be happy to know she is okay after the Hound debacle. And even the Hound, once he busts loose, I believe would help and probably feels just as bad about her as Sansa at this point. This is where I personally have high hopes for that whole BWB, Jaime, Brienne, Stoneheart, Gendry, Hound, orphanage, EB, web thingie that seems to be welding close together. Well, that thing has other issue/things to accomplish too, but with so much fuss and screen time, I'll be damned if someone of that ilk doesn't run into the Sansa or Arya arc and play a role.

This is where a single instance or a combination will come into play. I am not sure first off if it will be an event, or a run in with people, news she hears, or just she reaches a point thinking and deliberating, or perhaps feeling things, or through experience, or dissatisfaction with what she is doing that is the exact triggers or catalyst(s) to return Arya to Westeros.

But I think it is not just: Return to Westeros. The catalyst comes first, and then Westeros. Then there might be the "reinforcements."

So basically, my trying to deduce scenarios for what is the catalyst that makes her come back to Westeros:

- She's had it with the FM?

- She hears about Jon?

- She is more in tune with Nymeria?

-She dreams something?

-She hears about BWB and/or knows they would help her and goes back, hears about Stoneheart being her mother, something about Gendry?

-Bran, or another sibling "reaches" her?

-She hears news that a sibling or someone is in trouble?

My troubling one is below:

-She is sent on an FM mission/fleeing the FM? - Not sure. She may part with them before. I still see her as honorable as Jon and single-minded. To me, I see her focus and dedication being on wherever her concentration and drive is. This is the weakest one for me. I don't see Arya telling the FM, "Okay, ready for your mission", and in turn she is really trying to get to Westeros to do her Stark business. Now, it could very well be and it is only my opinion of how I see Arya, but I believe she would try to have a clean break, or I hope, so she can focus on only that. I am now leaning on that because I don't' see her getting an assignment from FM and reconciling that with her big KILL LIST. Even in a literary sense, it is just too much for one person to do. Even though, we know very well, that she was thrown a few favors, and the author had some on her list dead not by her hand.

I have to think, I can articulate that last one a bit better….sorry, but I am still thinking on the more I have to say.

Surely there are more.

But right now I am leaning towards one of the catalysts above, and then she decides to go to Westeros….

And it is right before this that we know she is a girl with her mind made up…this is when she retrieves Needle. This moment is Rocky Balboa reaching the steps in Philly. Once she gets Needle it is all about her return to Westeros. Needle obviously has to happen before Westeros.

And she could be up against the same crap she's always been. The odds, bad luck, misfortune, nothing goes her way, nothing works out, and then….somehow Nymeria. I still feel that with Needle and Nymeria, she can do anything. That is her heart, her identity, her old life, her family….and maybe much more.

Faceless man kill only the ones they're hired to kill, but who said she had to abide by this rule? It's not like she will lose her powers if she ever does what she pleases. I think though that she will be sent to westeros on a mission by the temple, but will kill people from her list on the journey.

I think she just forced herself not to think of them? I remember her multiple times unintentionally acting starkish then quickly trying to think of something else. Like "First I complete my training as is asked, then I'll decide of who I really am". I don't believe she completely bought into their relegious stuff.

Also, welcome to the forums! (Sorry couldn't resist it)

But there was numerous situations where she didnt just try to avoid thinking of the past, she had often forgotten almost everything who she was 99.9%. Forgot mother, father, house in general, only remembered a face that she wanted to kill

Well, there's the rub…that's the rough part. I don't know.

She has to take Needle back before returning to Westeros.

What Needle means is finding herself again, her past, who she is , her identity, really…getting past all the FM time crap.

So, in a way, I can't reconcile her going on missions and changing her face and becoming others to do questionable deeds, with, er, Needle ON HER and all that symbolically means.

This is my short answer. I have to articulate this ind depth.

Archived