Renly was about to defeat Stannis, right?

Ser Yo of House Lo

There's too many factors at play in the Battle of Agincourt to make a comparison based on the simple fact that Renly has lots of knights and the French had lots of knights.

Really the only real comparison to be drawn is that Stannis is fighting from a prepared position and not a favourable one at that, with Storm's End to his rear.

True. But most military historians attribute the loss to two main points: the Welsh Longbowman and the sludge the heavily armored French knights had to fight in.

True. But most military historians attribute the loss to two main points: the Welsh Longbowman and the sludge the heavily armored French knights had to fight in.

Neither which Stannis has to assist him.

Which Stan the Man doesn't really have. Cat says that it has been raining but that's worlds away from a freshly ploughed field and the woodland that guarded the English flanks isn't there , also considering that Tarly is present I would imagine the cavalry would be kept in good order and utilised well unlike at Agincourt.

But the real killer here is that Stannis had nowhere to go, 20,000 men is a large army. If the initial assault fails, they can break off and rengage or under more dire circumstances break off and send riders to summon the hosts at Bitterbirdge.

I also don't see Stannis pulling off some Battle of the Golden Spurs esque defences under the nose of the garrison at Storm's End and in view of Renly's scouts in the time that he is there.

I insist, if the fight is close to the sea, Stannis 200 warships with huge scorpions and cataplts could ve turned the fight to his side.

:thumbsup: Those good old, reliable medieval naval artillery batteries that accurately support allied ground forces at considerable range through state of the art land/naval communication.

:thumbsup: Those good old, reliable medieval naval artillery batteries that accurately support allied ground forces at considerable range through state of the art land/naval communication.

Just aim for the guy in green armor with golden antlers

I insist, if the fight is close to the sea, Stannis 200 warships with huge scorpions and cataplts could ve turned the fight to his side.

Stannis does not have battleships that can pound a fortress into the ground or tear up a battlefield with salvos of high explosives.

He has a fleet of galleys or sailboats that can engage other warships or land an army as on The Blackwater.

The fleet would not have been a factor in the battle at all (which is why it's never mentioned before or after).

The other idea mentioned here - that Stannis had 20,000 sailors to match Renly's 20,000 cavalry and so wasn't outnumbered is a mixture of pure conjecture as to the number and pure invention as to the effectiveness of putting sailors in tunics in front of heavy cavalry.

Stannis had his available forces in front of Storm's End and the idea that Stannis intended to fight made Renly laugh.

I don't see the problem here with acknowledging that Stannis would have lost the battle in quick time because that isn't what happened - Mel simply won it for him before it even started.

Stannis does not have battleships that can pound a fortress into the ground or tear up a battlefield with salvos of high explosives.

He has a fleet of galleys or sailboats that can engage other warships or land an army as on The Blackwater.

The fleet would not have been a factor in the battle at all (which is why it's never mentioned before or after).

The other idea mentioned here - that Stannis had 20,000 sailors to match Renly's 20,000 cavalry and so wasn't outnumbered is a mixture of pure conjecture as to the number and pure invention as to the effectiveness of putting sailors in tunics in front of heavy cavalry.

Stannis had his available forces in front of Storm's End and the idea that Stannis intended to fight made Renly laugh.

I don't see the problem here with acknowledging that Stannis would have lost the battle in quick time because that isn't what happened - Mel simply won it for him before it even started.

If anything, those 20k sailors are going to defect to Renly when they see the heavy cavalry preparing for a charge.

I've said this many times: Stannis should thank the gods he lost at the Blackwater. If he had won, either Tywin or the Tyrells would have killed him if they had been late to the battle.

I'm not too sure. Once he takes KL, he's in a much better position and has the advantage of being behind the walls even if the numbers are fewer.

I've said this many times: Stannis should thank the gods he lost at the Blackwater. If he had won, either Tywin or the Tyrells would have killed him if they had been late to the battle.

Your only considering military strength not politics. Once Cersei and her bastard children are dead then there is no reason to fight for them, the Tyrells would not have had any reason to join in.

Your only considering military strength not politics. Once Cersei and her bastard children are dead then there is no reason to fight for them, the Tyrells would not have had any reason to join in.

Tommen was already hidden away, hence the Lannister cause was not done.

Also, they could have installed someone else not related to the Baratheon line on the Throne, the Tyrells seem to want anyone but Stannis.

Archived