Do many famous Writers that view George RR Martin and Song of Ice and Fire with Contempt?

paramount

With LOTR, my advice is to read the 150 first pages to be sure, because the pacing changes dramatically once the Hobbits meet Strider. So, if the reader isn't hooked once they arrive at Rivendell, they should drop it. If they aren't hooked because of Hobbit and Bombadil and want to stop before they even hit Bree, better to read a few more dozens of pages.

Frodo goes West because it's the only place where his pain can recede. But the Undying Lands don't give immortality - contrary to what Sauron told the Numenoreans -, the land is immortal because the Valar live there, it's the other way around. This also means that you're care-free, don't get any illness or other unpleasant surprises of life in Middle-Earth, but you age normally and die.

Besides, as said, like many Elves, Frodo will stay in the island right in front of Valinor. He isn't supposed to die early either, that'd be Bilbo for obvious reasons. Heck, Sam goes West at the end of his life, and odds are that he's supposed to meet Frodo (though I'd expect Frodo to die shortly afterwards).

Theme theme theme. Why are people so obsessed with the notion of 'theme' as the measure of the literary value of a work? Why is that inherently more valuable than a story that is written just to be beautiful, or to deliver an emotional experience, or explore the depths of a character or two or, hell, just to be a ripping good yarn?

This !!!!

blood meridian is good example of a text that can be read solely for linguistic art at the sentence level.

A few lines that really struck a chord:

"...and split the head of Jon Joel Glanton to the thrapple"

The kid stumbling around hungover and naked looking for his mule with the hairless tail.

"Don't you know he'd have taken you lad? Aye, like a bride to the altar!"

The judge whipping out his "pizzle" and the company mixing it in with the charcoal and bat shit.

All of those make me weep a single tear of literary beauty.

Edit: his autocorrect lay blasted and abbrogate before them on the plain

Archived