Electing a Lord Commander

Lord_of_Japes

I'm a bit confused with something. When electing a new Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, I know the commanders from the other two castles come and cast all of the votes for their brothers left behind. Do the two commanders make lists of who their brothers want or do they all just vote for their commander? If the latter is true, then that would mean the Shadow Tower or Eastwatch commander have a better chance at being elected Lord Commander, right? They are quaranteed a lot of votes after all. And throughout the process some votes change until someone has 2/3 votes, but the brothers at the other 2 castles have no choice in the matter and are forced to vote for their commander. This is how I look at it, but it just seems weird and not a completely free way to vote.

The people coming down from Eastwatch and the Shadow tower indeed cast votes for the men they leave behind. Though it seems a bit unfair at first, 2/3 of all votes or more are needed to be chosen as Lord Commander. In addition, IIRC, more than 1/3 of all members are stationed at Castle Black, so more than 1/3 of the brothers get to cast their own votes.

• 4 weeks later...

It is unfair. It would seem that those in the other castles really don't have a say other than what the leader of their castle wants. That's why sam was such a genius to get the other leaders to vote for someone other than themselves. That was a whole ton of votes.

• 4 weeks later...

I dont think the commander counts for all the votes, i think it is like that every man left behind chooses a man who leaves to be his voter and hold his vote. We never hear of cottor pyke that he casts 50-60 arrowheads in the pot afterall.

Maybe they send ravens with word of the votes, new candidates and candidates that drop. Then ST and EWbtS send back word of their votes? Nobody said it's done in a day.

Actually, Jon was chosen within a day of being named as candidate. Ravens would take a couple of days to get to the castles, and a couple of days to get back. So that wouldn´t work.

Perhaps there indeed is a maximum amount of votes you are allowed to cast in the name of others.

Archived