The Relationship between Illyrio and House Redwyne

Mithras

In the end, Tyrion chose a cask of strongwine marked as the private stock of Lord Runceford Redwyne, the grandfather of the present Lord of the Arbor. The taste of it was languorous and heady on the tongue, the color a purple so dark that it looked almost black in the dim-lit cellar.

As he bathed, the girl washed his feet, scrubbed his back, and brushed his hair. Afterward she rubbed sweet-smelling ointment into his calves to ease the aches, and dressed him once again in boy’s clothing, a musty pair of burgundy breeches and a blue velvet doublet lined with cloth-of-gold.

Like his sire, Young Griff had blue eyes, but where the father’s eyes were pale, the son’s were dark. By lamplight they turned black, and in the light of dusk they seemed purple.

“A purple so dark that it looks almost black” is a known phrase of GRRM which is used to describe Targaryen eye colors such as those of Egg, Rhaegar and fAegon.

The blazon of House Redwyne is a burgundy grape cluster on blue, symbolizing the famed wines of the Arbor. The wine Tyrion found in Illyrio’s Manse, which had the same description with Targaryen eye color, belonged to the private stock of Lord Runceford Redwyne.

It is widely accepted that fAegon stayed in Illyrio’s Manse and the clothes given to Tyrion, one of which was obviously carrying the colors of House Redwyne, originally belonged to fAegon.

With so many references to House Redwyne during Tyrion’s chapter with Illyrio, are we supposed to assume that a secret relationship exists between them or is it a foreshadowing for future association of the Redwynes and fAegon?

Olenna Redwyne was almost wed to a member of House Targaryen but she supposedly did everything she could to prevent that. She was born around the same time with the infant son of Aerion, whose claim was passed over by the Great Council of 233.

Very interesting observation. I do remember noticing the Redyne's cask in Illyrio's mansion but have never really thought about it.

Off the top of my head, I remember the Golden Company boasting about having "Friends in the Reach" so there could be something to it. Aside for the best vintage in the all 7 Kingdoms the Redwynes are obviously famous for their fleet. Are Varys and Illyrio secretly plotting with Redwynes and possibly Highgtowers? Have they been promised the Lord paramount position?

The more innocuous explanation would be that Illyrio is an immensely rich man who loves to collect unique objects (and dazzle his guests with them) and has likely access to a black market.

Edit: typo

If there is a relationship with Illyrio and the Redwynes it could be that when Aegon reveals himself, they'll declare for him and rally to his cause. And maybe the reason Illyrio needs the Redwynes is for their fleet.

If there is a relationship with Illyrio and the Redwynes it could be that when Aegon reveals himself, they'll declare for him and rally to his cause. And maybe the reason Illyrio needs the Redwynes is for their fleet.

The thing is though, that the Redwyne's are very much intertwined with the Tyrells so it doesn't seem entirely logical that they would brood something behind their back or try to screw them over. Also why not bring the Tyrells on board as well? Margaery is married to the current king but he needs to be deposed anyway before Aegon takes the throne.

The wine was said to be from the private stock of Lord Runceford Redwyne. In the text, stock is sometimes used to represent genetic inheritance, including the old Valyrian stock.

The girl could not have been more than four. “I’m Ser Aemon Rivers’s Walda, lord great grandfather.” She curtsied.

“How long have you been talking? Not that you’re like to have anything sensible to say, your father never did. He’s a bastard’s son besides, heh. Go away, I wanted only Freys up here. The King in the North has no interest in base stock.”

Roslin had a small gap between two of her front teeth that made her shy with her smiles, but the flaw was almost endearing. Pretty enough, Catelyn thought, but so small, and she comes of Rosby stock. The Rosbys had never been robust. She much preferred the frames of some of the older girls in the hall; daughters or granddaughters, she could not be sure. They had a Crakehall look about them, and Lord Walder’s third wife had been of that House. Wide hips to bear children, big breasts to nurse them, strong arms to carry them. The Crakehalls have always been a big-boned family, and strong.

It is his hair, she told herself. He is not half as comely as Rhaegar was. His face is too narrow, and he has that cleft in his chin. The Velaryons came from old Valyrian stock, however, and some had the same silvery hair as the dragonkings of old.

Paxter Redwyne often seems weirdly in favour of the Greyjoy alliance during his Small Council scenes. Just something to throw in...

I consider that a hint for a potential Asha + Redwyne/Tyrell alliance in the future

Are Varys and Illyrio secretly plotting with Redwynes and possibly Highgtowers? Have they been promised the Lord paramount position?

If I remember correctly the Tyrells fought with the Targaryens, so why would a new Targaryen pick a new Lord paramount?

Olenna Redwyne was almost wed to a member of House Targaryen but she supposedly did everything she could to prevent that. She was born around the same time with the infant son of Aerion, whose claim was passed over by the Great Council of 233.

Olenna was born around the time of Aerys.

The thing is though, that the Redwyne's are very much intertwined with the Tyrells so it doesn't seem entirely logical that they would brood something behind their back or try to screw them over. Also why not bring the Tyrells on board as well? Margaery is married to the current king but he needs to be deposed anyway before Aegon takes the throne.

Lord Redwyne chose to stay loyal to the Targs during the Rebellion, so with another Targ landing with a force, and add the problems in KL as well for the Tyrells, it may be an easy choice for him when Aegon reveals himself. That's if he isn't in with something with Illyrio or Varys.

Lord Redwyne chose to stay loyal to the Targs during the Rebellion, so with another Targ landing with a force, and add the problems in KL as well for the Tyrells, it may be an easy choice for him when Aegon reveals himself. That's if he isn't in with something with Illyrio or Varys.

As did his liege lord. Mace and his niece and nephews have done nothing but good for Redwyne.

I've always wondered if Viserys was actually correct when he said:

"Tyrell, Redwyne, Darry, Greyjoy, they have no more love for the Usurper than I do."

Perhaps there really is a Tyrell-Redwyne-Darry-Greyjoy alliance

Darrys are (were) diehard Targ fans. Greyjoys have no love for Usurper because of their own failed rebellion against Robert. Tyrell and Redwynes were on the Targ side to the bitter end. Euron clearly promised Arbor and Oldtown to his ironmen. Euron defeated the Redwyne ships back in Arbor and he might have sacked the island for all we know. So, I don't think there was ever an alliance between the Greyjoys and the Redwynes.

Darrys are (were) diehard Targ fans. Greyjoys have no love for Usurper because of their own failed rebellion against Robert. Tyrell and Redwynes were on the Targ side to the bitter end. Euron clearly promised Arbor and Oldtown to his ironmen. Euron defeated the Redwyne ships back in Arbor and he might have sacked the island for all we know. So, I don't think there was ever an alliance between the Greyjoys and the Redwynes.

Certainly not with Euron, but what about with Balon Greyjoy?

That may explain his bold (stupid) actions during the war.

Archived