Varys = Haviland Tuf?

the_scream

Recently, GRRM mentioned the actor playing Varys on GoT would also make an excellent Haviland Tuf.

For those of you unfamiliar with this character, he is a large, bald, genius from GRRM's sci fi Tuf Voyaging.

The interesting thing about this observation is that Tuf may slightly resemble Varys. Tuf secures a spaceship that can essentially reengineer entire ecosystems on planets. Throughout the book, we watch a brilliant, and often underestimated genius, ignore short term goals and political aspirations with the aim of ensuring sustainable planets.

I was wondering if we might find out Varys is indeed acting truly for the 'good of the realm', using his spys and influence to reengineer Westeros? It's been implied that Varys may be a Blackfyre or may have an ulterior motive. What if, like Tuf, he is simply playing out a logical method for ensuring peace and continued prosperity without emotion or distraction?

• 1 month later...

I agree that he is definitely shaping the world as he sees fit; whether that's for altruistic reasons or for self gain(which seems highly unlikely) is unknown at this time. I think he is doing what he thinks is right, but for the 'greater good', which has always been a really tricky motive.

Aye you're definitely onto something scream, though I don't know how many cues we can take as to his relevance to the story. However I do think morally there is a connection. Varys is anything but pure evil, and a lot closer to possibly the single kindest person in Westeros in some ways, while also being one of the most uncaring of certain folks, namely noblemen and women.

Archived