Football LXXXII: It begins with the Community Shield

Mexal

The way Legia have been booted out is so, so harsh. UEFA have apparently ruled that the second leg counts as a 3-0 win for Celtic (standard default result) which means they go through on away goals.

Those two penalties Legia missed at home are looking fairly significant now...

ETA: Harsh in the sense that it's entirely their own fault, but you know what I mean

What do people think of the apparantly impending UTD signing Juan Cuadrado?

Not so much about what he should cost, but who has actually seen him play outside of a few WC games with Colombia where he looked alright but not special ( to me). Is this a great player? Does UTD need him?

Ah, being shit, losing and yet advancing in the competition because of a clerical error. This is the stuff football dreams are made of.

There's only one thing for it. Have to win it all now.

I know there's a new manager, but this has still been a bit shocking.

The way Legia have been booted out is so, so harsh. UEFA have apparently ruled that the second leg counts as a 3-0 win for Celtic (standard default result) which means they go through on away goals.

Those two penalties Legia missed at home are looking fairly significant now...

ETA: Harsh in the sense that it's entirely their own fault, but you know what I mean

Is Legia getting knocked out official or is investigation in progress?

What do people think of the apparantly impending UTD signing Juan Cuadrado?

Not so much about what he should cost, but who has actually seen him play outside of a few WC games with Colombia where he looked alright but not special ( to me). Is this a great player? Does UTD need him?

Cuadrado did do very well in the World Cup and was a major part of Colombian team.

His stats at Fiorentina are not bad either.

That being said, I'm very skeptical of World Cup sensation players in general.

I mean, Fiorentina is hardly an unknown team, and his exploits should be very well known before the World Cup even to us who don't really follow Serie A closely.

He's well known in Serie A though, and Fiorentina hasn't been in CL so it isn't that strange that he isn't more known.

ETA: Don't know what UTD is in the market for, but Cuadrado topped the league for successful dribbles last year.

He's well known in Serie A though, and Fiorentina hasn't been in CL so it isn't that strange that he isn't more known.

I understand that, but if he constantly played like he did in the World Cup, he would get more attention even if he did it in Serbian league, let alone Serie A.

EDIT:

I mean, we all knew of Zlatan when he played in Serie A and I didn't watch it then either ;)

Cuadrado was getting mega-hyped before the world cup, to be fair, even though he is unproven at CL level and that.

The thing is though that even though he's probably an improvement on all of our wingers, we're not playing with wingers right now. And if Van Gaal does want to play with wingers, then a Vidal type and probably another CB are more important than another actual winger in the short term.

I understand that, but if he constantly played like he did in the World Cup, he would get more attention even if he did it in Serbian league, let alone Serie A.

EDIT:

I mean, we all knew of Zlatan when he played in Serie A and I didn't watch it then either ;)

You would have to add another 30 mil to get a Zlatan his age, and Zlatan was playing in CL, and he won titles every single year.

We need a winger! And though it's hard to grasp, he could probably manage to challenge Steven Pienaar.

Now, all we need to do is convince someone that £36m really is the same as £3,6m, and we're good to go!

I'm quite sure that walkover means that even if you won first match 20:0, then 3:0 disqualification in next match still rules you out. This 3:0 is more like generic number to put.

So even if Vrdoljak had been scored those two and Legia won 6:1 still Celtic would go through.

No, that's not the case. The 3-0 scoreline applies for that match only. So the tie could still have been won if Legia had scored another goal in the first leg.

No, that's not the case. The 3-0 scoreline applies for that match only. So the tie could still have been won if Legia had scored another goal in the first leg.

Those two missed penalties look expensive (literally) now...

Today's two previews - these are the final ones for the other Top 7 teams and it's a North London derby...

Arsenal Part 2 - With the mighty Arseblog

Tottenham Part 2 - With Tottenham's Top ITK Jack Hussey (tehtunktv - funny, funny animated Spurs videos)

Archived