Would you recast any character?

Ingelheim

I think you are talking about Dominic West, but he didn't turn down the show; his agent understood wrong the schedule (he thought Dominic had to spend a few months in Iceland when in reality it was just a few weeks) so he turned it down.

That, seemingly is what happened, West , tho, was not aware of the series at all, I don't know how long it was after the offer his relatives got on him about turning it down.

Seems if casting had of made s better informed offer , or he had sought it out , he might have accepted.

I don't know , tho, if they would have given Mance more screen time.

I love Aidan when he's on form - it'sf when the accent mid sentence goes awry that bothers me on occasion. Michael

I just pretend that the accent breakdown is a deliberate portrayal of Littlefinger's imperfect success at shedding an embarrassing provincial accent.

I just pretend that the accent breakdown is a deliberate portrayal of Littlefinger's imperfect success at shedding an embarrassing provincial accent.

The accent is not nearly such a problem as his habit of talking in a low, growling, threatening voice. That's the exact opposite of how someone like LF would talk and behave. He's supposed to be sly and a great liar and to appear non-threatening enough to people that they are overlooking him all the time.

Renly's my main one, though the writing plays a part. Mark Addy looked more like a walking beer keg than an imposing warrior turned fat, but he pulled off Robert really well. Stephen Dillane is relatively short, thinly built and has a kind face, but he has all the Stannis mannerisms down and can put on a good Stannis face when he needs to. Gethin Anthony's Renly just came across as a giant wimp, which isn't at all like the attractive, confident, charisma king from the books, and there are the obvious physical differences.

One of the (many) great things about Stephen Dillane is he makes a conscious effort to try and sync Stannis' accent with Mark Addy's delivery. You could believe they are brothers.

My problem with Renly in the series wasn't the quality of his performance as the paucity of interactions with Ned in S1 and with his subjects in S2. Just generally the lack of screen time. I think we would have benefited with him being on the King's road (as in AGOT) or even coming north to Winterfell. He possibly was played a little too restrained when he became a King, but I think he didn't get the best material to work with. His holding court as Catelyn arrives at the Tourney ("fool of a fool line etc) was really streamlined.

That, seemingly is what happened, West , tho, was not aware of the series at all, I don't know how long it was after the offer his relatives got on him about turning it down.

Seems if casting had of made s better informed offer , or he had sought it out , he might have accepted.

I don't know , tho, if they would have given Mance more screen time.

Yeah I doubt they would have. Hinds is a great actor even if wasn't first choice (I'm sure plenty of actors weren't first choice actually, especially in the relatively early days before the show got HUGE) and if they were inclined to give the character more screentime at the time they could have. Maybe he even took the role because it was a handy pay cheque with minimal filming time!!

I really hope Mance gets a bit more screentime in S5..himself and Stephen Dillane snarking at each other would be great, if their short interaction in 4.10 is anything to go by.

Renly's my main one, though the writing plays a part. Mark Addy looked more like a walking beer keg than an imposing warrior turned fat, but he pulled off Robert really well. Stephen Dillane is relatively short, thinly built and has a kind face, but he has all the Stannis mannerisms down and can put on a good Stannis face when he needs to. Gethin Anthony's Renly just came across as a giant wimp, which isn't at all like the attractive, confident, charisma king from the books, and there are the obvious physical differences.

Stephen Dillane is a 6'0 guy...I wouldn't call him short. Sure, Stannis is probably 6'2-6'3, but given how tall Mark Addy and Gethin Anthony are, it doesn't really matter.

I wouldn't recast anyone but I'd cast a few missing people...

(Funny that Jon isn't tall. Isn't Rhaegar described as taller than Viserys?)

Well, genetics don't always work that way. My grandfather was 6'1 (being a teenager during Spanish Civil War, with an extraordinary shortage of food happening right here), and my father is 6'0...I just happen to be 5'8, with a better nutrition than any of them, just because my mother is 5'4. Daenerys is also a small girl, and she's 16 (so she probably won't get any taller).

Mel also towers over Jon in the books. People just want a tall hero, shallow but true. I actually like Kit. Can't imagine any other Jon Snow.

Mel towers abover 90% of the males IIRC. She was as tall as Stannis, so she must be 6'2-6'3. Really weird.

Carice wears heels for the show, so maybe she'll be as tall as Kit, maybe even more. And yes, right now Kit is my Jon Snow.

Yeah , I was just joking around. That being said I never pictured Jon as short, just average height for a 14-16 year old kid. Kit is playing a 3 years older version of Jon and every male actor he has a scene with appears to just tower over him.

Jon is actually 17 during ADWD, when he's described as a much shorter guy than Tycho, Stannis and Mel.

Actually, I know many 15 year old who are easily above 6'0 feet. The 90s generation is a really tall one, trust me.

And well, Kit is 5'7, but Richard Madden is 5'9, Maisie 5'0, Sean Bean is slightly taller than 5'10...the Starks are not really tall in the show, except Sophie Turner, who is 5'9.

How is that not a real possibility?

I'd love to see that happening, to be honest.

I'd recast littlefinger's voice with season 1 littlefinger's voice

I could not agree more.

His voice in season 4 bothered me to the point of distraction, and I wondered why it didn't bother me so much before.

I just started rewatching season 1, and figured out exactly why it didn't bother me so much before.

He wasn't doing that weird growly thing.

As I make my way through the seasons, I'm interested to see if it was a gradual change, or if he just suddenly decided, "I'm going to use this voice, now."

I kind of think it was a sudden change, otherwise it may not have bothered me so much.

Maybe he'll go back to his season one voice, and D&D can write in something about LF having had an extended bout with laryngitis? ;)

I'd recast Mance. Ciaran Hinds is a great actor, but I just pictured Mance to be more charismatic and less grim. Let's just say I don't see him playing the lute. I'd recast Asha as well. I pictured her a lot differently. I always got the vibe that she was rather good-looking, and maybe it's shallow on my part. I think the show tried to let you know that Iron islanders aren't too concerned with looks like the southern regions.

I didn't consider Aiden as a poor choice until season 4, re-watching the other seasons, especially season 1, he's perfect. Something went wrong in season 4 and I hope they fix it promptly

Both Asha and Theon were suppose to be very, very good looking, same with Renly, but I feel like these choices were intentional somehow. I don't know, it never really bothered me either way

Actually I'm going to scrub my earlier call re possibly recasting Yara/ Asha. Ok - she doesn't match the physical description of Asha in the books, but has the 'formidable' presence you'd expect for the character. I'm just re-watching The Prince of Winterfell from season 2 and her scene with Theon in the great hall is fantastic - from the "Go on then... warn me" line to the "I wanted to strangle you. Then you looked up at me and you stopped crying. You smiled at me. Don't die so far from the sea". Delivered with real feeling and verve.

I think she was pretty good in her liberate Theon scene in season 4 (pointless though it was!). What let it down was Ramsay hamming it up, not her.

I didn't consider Aiden as a poor choice until season 4, re-watching the other seasons, especially season 1, he's perfect. Something went wrong in season 4 and I hope they fix it promptly

Both Asha and Theon were suppose to be very, very good looking, same with Renly, but I feel like these choices were intentional somehow. I don't know, it never really bothered me either way

Too many beautiful characters and people would think the show was just about hot people, I reckon.

Yeah Asha was meant to be pretty hot, the girl they've got playing her...isn't...

Asha physical description: "Lean and long-legged, with black hair cut short, wind-chafed skin...Her nose was too big and too sharp for her thin face, but her smile made up for it." (ACOK Theon II) Asha is sexually confident and has an attractive personality. She's not the supermodel pirate queen that a lot of fan art imagines.

In any event, this is a matter of writing, not casting. Gemma Whelan, if you see photos of her from outside the show, is quite pretty. The writers have written and styled Yara as far more dour and stoic than the book version, so that's what Whelan delivers. This is the case for a number of the other casting choices debated here, like Hinds as Mance. Hinds is not the free-spirited bard-king that GRRM wrote in the books, but D&D clearly are not writing Mance as that sort of character to begin with, and did not cast Hinds with that character in mind.

I've tried the same. But the growling and the mid-sentence shifts are so grating you can't really chalk it up to that. It's just hammed up acting! ;)

Asha physical description: "Lean and long-legged, with black hair cut short, wind-chafed skin...Her nose was too big and too sharp for her thin face, but her smile made up for it." (ACOK Theon II) Asha is sexually confident and has an attractive personality. She's not the supermodel pirate queen that a lot of fan art imagines.

In any event, this is a matter of writing, not casting. Gemma Whelan, if you see photos of her from outside the show, is quite pretty. The writers have written and styled Yara as far more dour and stoic than the book version, so that's what Whelan delivers. This is the case for a number of the other casting choices debated here, like Hinds as Mance. Hinds is not the free-spirited bard-king that GRRM wrote in the books, but D&D clearly are not writing Mance as that sort of character to begin with, and did not cast Hinds with that character in mind.

Lean and long-legged translates to a Westerosi version of Lena Dunham on tv. So you can understand the disappointment.

Archived