Would you recast any character?

Ingelheim

Sansa...Sophie is good when she acts just with her face but for me she is a terrible choice for her character, I can barely get through her scenes.

Really? I think Sophie nails her part...

Who would you cast instead of her?

Sansa...Sophie is good when she acts just with her face but for me she is a terrible choice for her character, I can barely get through her scenes.

:agree: Couldn't agree more. Sophie Turner looks beautiful, and she can act, don't get me wrong, but for me, she just isn't right for Sansa.

I'm not sure if it's the scriptwriters' fault, but Sophie just hasn't managed to make her character sympathetic. I know there's plenty of forum members who think that she isn't sympathetic in the first place.... but still, I think more could have been done to stress her youth ... It doesn't help that she's so tall -- I know it's not her fault, but, y'know...

does jon have curly hair in the books ? i can't remember i always pictured my book-jon as a younger tv-ned. and book ned as a not-as-old tv-ned.

Jon has brown hair (not curly and not black), a long face and grey eyes in the books, which is seen as "the Stark look". He's supposed to look a lot like Arya, Lyanna and Ned.

Robb, Sansa, Bran and Rickon are supposed to have auburn hair, blue eyes and fine cheekbones like Catelyn, i.e. the "Tully look".

I don't know how old show Ned is supposed to be, but he's certainly not supposed to be as old as Sean Bean was. Actor age =/= character age.

:agree: Couldn't agree more. Sophie Turner looks beautiful, and she can act, don't get me wrong, but for me, she just isn't right for Sansa.

I'm not sure if it's the scriptwriters' fault, but Sophie just hasn't managed to make her character sympathetic. I know there's plenty of forum members who think that she isn't sympathetic in the first place.... but still, I think more could have been done to stress her youth ... It doesn't help that she's so tall -- I know it's not her fault, but, y'know...

Really? I think her acting was often the only thing that saved the show version of the character from terrible writing. And Sansa is certainly sympathetic, as far as I'm concerned.

And what does her height have to do with her being sympathetic? I don't get it. Or do you mean her height makes her look older? You do know that girls stop growing at 14-15, don't you? And that many teenagers are really tall?

Also, Sansa is tall and older-looking in the book, too, though she's a couple of years younger there. She's not supposed to look like a child, there are lots of references to her developing body which...err... also has a lot to do with the reactions of adult males to her.

Jon has brown hair (not curly and not black), a long face and grey eyes in the books, which is seen as "the Stark look". He's supposed to look a lot like Arya, Lyanna and Ned.

Robb, Sansa, Bran and Rickon are supposed to have auburn hair, blue eyes and fine cheekbones like Catelyn, i.e. the "Tully look".

I don't know how old show Ned is supposed to be, but he's certainly not supposed to be as old as Sean Bean was. Actor age =/= character age.

Ned was 35 during AGOT, while Sean Bean was 51 when filming the first season of GOT. Kit was 23.

And Jon is supposed to have dark brwon hair and really dark grey eyes. I'd say he is a "darker" version of Ned.

Ned was 35 during AGOT, while Sean Bean was 51 when filming the first season of GOT. Kit was 23.

And Jon is supposed to have dark brwon hair and really dark grey eyes. I'd say he is a "darker" version of Ned.

I said I don't know how old show Ned is supposed to be. Not 35, because there have been some 17 years since the end of RR, not 14. So I'd say it would make sense for him to be in his late 30s or around 40. But you never know, they had Davos say that Tywin is 67, which was Dance's real age at the time of the shooting, so who the hell knows. It wouldn't make sense for Ned to be 50, for sure, since that would mean that he and Cat waited till they were in their early 30s to marry and have children, in a medieval-like society.

But in any case, some actors are obviously playing much younger than they are because we know their show ages - Robb, Jon, Dany and Gendry were all supposed to be older teenagers when we first saw them, and the actors were all in their mid-20s.

I said I don't know how old show Ned is supposed to be. Not 35, because there have been some 17 years since the end of RR, not 14. So I'd say it would make sense for him to be in his late 30s or around 40. But you never know, they had Davos say that Tywin is 67, which was Dance's real age at the time of the shooting, so who the hell knows. It wouldn't make sense for Ned to be 50, for sure, since that would mean that he and Cat waited till they were in their early 30s to marry and have children, in a medieval-like society.

But in any case, some actors are obviously playing much younger than they are because we know their show ages - Robb, Jon, Dany and Gendry were all supposed to be older teenagers when we first saw them, and the actors were all in their mid-20s.

Oh sorry, my mistake. I didn't read it well.

And yes, they are supposed to be playing younger characters. Although Richard Madden, Emilia Clarke and Kit filmed the 1st season being 23, I think they were supposed to be 17 IIRC.

Really? I think Sophie nails her part...

Who would you cast instead of her?

I don't have anyone specific in mind. She is just too smug...she gives off this vibe like she belongs in MTV show about rich girls not as daughter of Eddard and Catelyn

Script certainly isn't helping, but some characters are written in even worse ways and actors do a much better job there because at the very least the casting is inspired

As for how tall she is - it's a problem sometimes, her height made that LF kissing scene even more ridiculous than it was

Well, I have to say that I usually don't go for short men, but Kit Harington is perfect at Jon Snow. I can't really imagine any other actor in the part now. That's pretty much the way I feel about all of the main characters and actors (with very few exceptions).

As for how tall she is - it's a problem sometimes, her height made that LF kissing scene even more ridiculous than it was

How? You do know that LF is supposed to be a really short guy in the books? And it's not like that kiss was supposed to look romantic or sexy (dear gods).

Sophie has been doing great even when given shitty writing (as in season 3).

And she's been saving the scenes with LF, since AG is giving one of the worst performances in the show.

Really? I think her acting was often the only thing that saved the show version of the character from terrible writing. And Sansa is certainly sympathetic, as far as I'm concerned.

And what does her height have to do with her being sympathetic? I don't get it. Or do you mean her height makes her look older? You do know that girls stop growing at 14-15, don't you? And that many teenagers are really tall?

Also, Sansa is tall and older-looking in the book, too, though she's a couple of years younger there. She's not supposed to look like a child, there are lots of references to her developing body which...err... also has a lot to do with the reactions of adult males to her.

To an extent, I do agree that the way she is written is pretty poor, but I can't discount other things.

Well, yes, I think her height makes her look a lot older; as with Richard Madden's Robb, it makes some of her more immature decisions make less sense in the show. I know she is tall in the books, but not, I think, as statuesque as Sophie - I think Sophie's age, as well as height, count against the performance of such a young girl (although granted her bumped up age in the show may be a necessary evil given the content...). For example, in the show's version of her wedding's consummation , you get a sense that if Tyrion had tried touch her she could have been like 'SANSA SMASH!' :box: , *rampages through KL knocking down Red Keep*

And no, your'e absolutely right, I have no idea about how people grow or height....what is this thing of which you speak? Who is teen-ager? What is yeeeaaar? :shocked: :dunno:

To an extent, I do agree that the way she is written is pretty poor, but I can't discount other things.

Well, yes, I think her height makes her look a lot older; as with Richard Madden's Robb, it makes some of her more immature decisions make less sense in the show. I know she is tall in the books, but not, I think, as statuesque as Sophie - I think Sophie's age, as well as height, count against the performance of such a young girl (although granted her bumped up age in the show may be a necessary evil given the content...). For example, in the show's version of her wedding's consummation , you get a sense that if Tyrion had tried touch her she could have been like 'SANSA SMASH!' :box: , *rampages through KL knocking down Red Keep*

Because Tyrion is physically stronger than Sansa in the books, right? Oh, wait...

If you think that Sansa's problem in the books was that she couldn't physically overpower Tyrion, rather than, uh, I don't know, that she was a hostage of the Lannisters and if she tried to do "SANSA SMASH", Meryn Trent, Boros Blount and Osmund Kettleblack would be bursting through the door and Cersei and Joffrey could do order them to just about anything to her... all I can say it: :bang: :bang:

I guess you also don't get why all those big men with swords followed Joffrey's orders? Or why Tyrion, a dwarf, was the only one with enough authority to stop the beatings of Sansa in season 2/ACOK? I mean, obviously the tallest, biggest person has the most power! :rolleyes:

Because Tyrion is physically stronger than Sansa in the books, right? Oh, wait...

If you think that Sansa's problem in the books was that she couldn't physically overpower Tyrion, rather than, uh, I don't know, that she was a hostage of the Lannisters and if she tried to do "SANSA SMASH", Meryn Trent, Boros Blount and Osmund Kettleblack would be bursting through the door and Cersei and Joffrey could do order them to just about anything to her... all I can say it: :bang: :bang:

I guess you also don't get why all those big men with swords followed Joffrey's orders? Or why Tyrion, a dwarf, was the only one with enough authority to stop the beatings of Sansa in season 2/ACOK? I mean, obviously the tallest, biggest person has the most power! :rolleyes:

Wow...this isn't what this poster was saying at all.

I guess you also don't get why all those big men with swords followed Joffrey's orders? Or why Tyrion, a dwarf, was the only one with enough authority to stop the beatings of Sansa in season 2/ACOK? I mean, obviously the tallest, biggest person has the most powe

Wait 'SANSA SMASH' isn't what happened next......?

No, I have no concept of the political realities of Asoiaf, either, you are quite right..... :bowdown:

And I absolutely wasn't referring to the way that height can influence the representation of characters in a visual medium like television, rather than what might have actually happened if Sansa had pounded Tyrion into lemoncake...

Wow...this isn't what this poster was saying at all.

Well, then tell me what they were saying and what was the hidden meaning of "Sansa could have totally smashed Tyrion and defended herself in the show if he had tried anything"? Because I'm at a loss.

Archived