Would you recast any character?

Ingelheim

Wait 'SANSA SMASH' isn't what happened next......?

No, I have no concept of the political realities of Asoiaf, either, you are quite right..... :bowdown:

And I absolutely wasn't referring to the way that height can influence the representation of characters in a visual medium like television, rather than what might have actually happened if Sansa had pounded Tyrion into lemoncake...

Oh, so you mean you were trying to say "The audience are idiots and have no concept of the political realities of GoT?"

Shouldn't you then be complaining why Joffrey wasn't played by an actor of the Mountain's size? I mean, that would be the only reason the idiotic show audience who can't see behind the visuals would accept all those big guys would be taking orders from him, riiight? And how did this idiotic audience accept the concept of Tyrion ordering people around while he was acting Hand of the King?

Yes, the whole "OMG she's a giant and she can't be sympathetic or a victim, and she looks like she can Hulk-smash everyone" is just ridiculous.

That's not at all what I was referring to, but thanks for not loading your response to me with dozen patronizing emoticons.

I'd like to have the old Daario back. I thought he was much better.

Me too. He didn't look much like Daario from the books but he was at least somewhat flamboyant and cocky in terms of his appearance and manner and had quite a distinctive look that marked him out somewhat. The new Daario is just a complete non-entity to me - he looks just like any other bearded warrior on the show, and I wouldn't be surprised if many unsullied thought he was just another Westerosi exile like Barristan and Jorah. He seems a bit of a blank slate in terms of personality too, and is far too meek and soft-spoken.

Edit: Hah! I just noticed your username - it's no wonder I agree with you! :)

Asha physical description: "Lean and long-legged, with black hair cut short, wind-chafed skin...Her nose was too big and too sharp for her thin face, but her smile made up for it." (ACOK Theon II) Asha is sexually confident and has an attractive personality. She's not the supermodel pirate queen that a lot of fan art imagines.

In any event, this is a matter of writing, not casting. Gemma Whelan, if you see photos of her from outside the show, is quite pretty. The writers have written and styled Yara as far more dour and stoic than the book version, so that's what Whelan delivers. This is the case for a number of the other casting choices debated here, like Hinds as Mance. Hinds is not the free-spirited bard-king that GRRM wrote in the books, but D&D clearly are not writing Mance as that sort of character to begin with, and did not cast Hinds with that character in mind.

I got the impression from S2 that D&D wanted the Iron Islanders to be more 'grim' and salty tough hewn , somewhat less flamboyant pirate types.

I think the costuming and sets a Pyke speak to that. On the show it does differentiate them from the rest of Westeros.

From the characters that are still alive I would recast Mance. Maybe someone younger? Unrelated to the actor, but I really really disliked how they portrayed him in the show with a "native american" vibe (although tbh I don't remember if that's how it was in the books, I certainly did not remember it that way).

Also, I'd recast LF. I really like the actor in his other work but not in GoT.

From the characters that are still alive I would recast Mance. Maybe someone younger? Unrelated to the actor, but I really really disliked how they portrayed him in the show with a "native american" vibe (although tbh I don't remember if that's how it was in the books, I certainly did not remember it that way).

Also, I'd recast LF. I really like the actor in his other work but not in GoT.

All that would be too jarring now.

With regard to the seemingly volatile Sansa issue, I've had a similar issue with her. I like Sophie. I think she's a phenomenal actress but she's just not Sansa to me. I get that she's tall in the books and men start noticing her, but the character remains convincingly child-like. I know really tall people, really muscular people who still look like big bears and you just want to hug them because they're so "adorable". Like Michael Clarke Duncan in The Green Mile. The dude is big and strong, but the dude can portray innocence very convincingly. That's what I thought Sansa was anyway, the innocence that still shines in a world of corruption, betrayal and all manner of bad things. Sophie fails to do that.

Loras Tyrell. The right looks but a bit more bulk on him would've made him more convincing in his role as a knight of his stature. On a couple of occasions while in full armor and carrying weapons he looked a little unwieldy carrying all that weight on horseback.

Loras Tyrell. The right looks but a bit more bulk on him would've made him more convincing in his role as a knight of his stature. On a couple of occasions while in full armor and carrying weapons he looked a little unwieldy carrying all that weight on horseback.

I think they picked a guy with not a lot of bulk on purpose so he would look closer to the stereotypical perception of how gay people are (effeminate, slim etc). They did the same with Renly at a much larger degree.

Mance Raydar needs to be recast. Ciaran Hinds was never appropriate for the role. I'm sure Dominic West can easily be convinced to take a part now.

I think Ciaran really killed it as Mance in 4x10, honestly.

Loras isn't big and strong in the books, either. He's 16 in AGOT and described as slender.

There's nothing wrong with the casting of Loras. The writing, however...

I think Ciaran really killed it as Mance in 4x10, honestly.

:agree:

Eh, most problems I have with some characters are due to writing (Littlefinger, Tormund, Blackfish, Loras, etc), but the ones I'd recast:

- Renly: For obvious reasons

- Mance: As good an actor as Ciaran Hinds is, the shoe simply doesn't fit

- Asha/Yara: It's not that Gemma Whelan couldn't be good with the right writing, because she totally could, I think. But there are 2 other actresses in the show that could be better fits for Asha, in terms of looks: Natalia Tena and Ellie Kendrick

- Tommen: I'm sorry, but the core essence of that character is how incredibly young and childish he is. I think this is my biggest gripe, casting-wise so far

Jon: He's expressionless and his voice annoys me.

"Yara": The way she was written is totally wrong, the actress is good but, no.

Arya: Only cos the shape of her face bothers me. :dunno:

Theon: He's a great actor IMO, but he doesn't look the part.

Then there are actors I like, but are very overestimated, like Peter, Aidan and Lena. But when they are good, they are awesome.

I'm going to say (and I truly believe this) that I'm probably the only one here enjoying Aidan's performance as Littlefinger.

I'm Spanish, so pretty much everyone has an accent for me, so his voice, which as I can see is probably a problem for native English speakers, doesn't really bother me at all.

And I still think his "Chaos is a ladder" speech is a TOP 10 scene of the show.

Me too. He didn't look much like Daario from the books but he was at least somewhat flamboyant and cocky in terms of his appearance and manner and had quite a distinctive look that marked him out somewhat. The new Daario is just a complete non-entity to me - he looks just like any other bearded warrior on the show, and I wouldn't be surprised if many unsullied thought he was just another Westerosi exile like Barristan and Jorah. He seems a bit of a blank slate in terms of personality too, and is far too meek and soft-spoken.

I find myself agreeing. I do not think they got Daario right at the start, but considering the show has negated a lot of the flamboyant stuff in the books (such as the Bloody Mummers or Strong Belwas), I do at least expect someone portraying Daario as an empty sort of pretty-boy, a guy who thinks he's a rock star. (After all, Daario's supposed to be a sort of anti-Jorah.) The first actor had the pretty-boy quality. The second actor seems to have more daring woman-wooing in his personality, but does not convey the flashiness that Daario has. He's just some warrior guy - like he's Eric Bana's nephew or something.

Archived