Would you recast any character?

Ingelheim

So true, from the movies I've seen with Headey in it, she exhibits a motherly aura which is very suitable for Cat.

If I do recall correctly, Carice was originally going to audition for Cersei but had scheduling issues. Given D&D have turned Mel into an utterly evil promiscuous man-eating harlot which she's played pretty well so far, I have no doubts she'd make a better Cersei then Lena.... if they bothered to stop whitewashing Cersei.

Though none of them really look good as blondes to be honest.

I have to disagree with that.

https://danielgarber.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/movies_movies_z_zwartboek_010773_.jpg

http://www.geocities.jp/artanisjp/pic/BBook14.jpg

They praise her acting but not her face.

I see Maisie very much like I see Gwendoline Christie

Neither look like super models but I would not describe either of them as being ugly or unattractive.

Maise is cute and is definitely not a bad looking girl

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/12/16/2412C1A200000578-0-image-m-63_1418690063160.jpg

http://i0.wp.com/fashioncow.com/flowerpower/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/maisie-williams-by-ben-toms-for-dazed-magazine-springsummer-2015-8.jpg?resize=770%2C1005

I also think Gwendoline Christie very attractive.

So true, from the movies I've seen with Headey in it, she exhibits a motherly aura which is very suitable for Cat.

If I do recall correctly, Carice was originally going to audition for Cersei but had scheduling issues. Given D&D have turned Mel into an utterly evil promiscuous man-eating harlot which she's played pretty well so far, I have no doubts she'd make a better Cersei then Lena.... if they bothered to stop whitewashing Cersei.

Though none of them really look good as blondes to be honest.

Personally, I think they have Carice and Headey in the right roles. Carice has a slight accent when she speaks. How much of that is natural and how much of it is her acting, I can't say, but it adds to the exoticness and "something's just a little off" feeling of her character.

Headey plays Cersei with a smug self-assuredness which I think is very true to her book form. Her little smirks and arrogance that she brings to the character is going to make her downfall this season all the more enjoyable to watch, just like it was in the books when Osney confesses and Cersei tries to run. (I think I read that part about 5 times in a row.)

Anyway, the point being I think the two actresses are in the right roles, Headey much more so than Carice, although I'm fine with her too.

Um... Here's where we'll disagree. ;) D&D didn't do that. GRRM did. Mel may be more sexed up, but it's not like she didn't offer herself to Jon and Davos in the books, just less subtly. Tweedle Dee and Dum can't do subtle.

Um... Here's where we'll disagree. ;) D&D didn't do that. GRRM did. Mel may be more sexed up, but it's not like she didn't offer herself to Jon and Davos in the books, just less subtly. Tweedle Dee and Dum can't do subtle.

Yep, I would say she is not significantly changed save for being less subtle than her book counterpart. Also, you forgot Mance - she has most likely had sex with him in the books too

I agree.

There is a difference between trying to seduce someone with words vs making out and humping one guy completely naked in some BDSM like fashion and rubbing your tits in another's face. Subtly would be the Renly and Loras stuff because although we don't see them crossing swords in the book, it's clearly evident from the dialogue as well as GRRM's SSM that they are doing it.

Of course Cersei should be the one with Mel's appetite this season, but I guess like Saint Tyrion and the Rapist Jaime; D&D are making her to be something she isn't .

• 3 weeks later...

So I finally looked up Jennifer Ehle, and I can at last concur she is a better physical match. However, I still think Michelle is a pretty good physical fit, if for an older Catelyn than we get in the books. And of course, she does a brilliant job in her portrayal of Cat, and off screen seems to have a thorough understanding of the character too. I've not seen (that I am aware of) Jennifer Ehle in anything before, so I can't speak to her acting abilities. Google images has her in quite a lot of fancy dresses though, so am I correct in assuming she has played the part of a Lady before?

I am pretty much OK with Michelle Fairley in the role of Catelyn and I think she did a fantastic job, but I'll forever be a wee bit bitter about losing Jennifer Ehle in the role. I've seen several things that Ehle has done and she's absolutely marvelous. She can do just about everything you could ask for onscreen, and she imbues this magnificent warmth and vulnerability to her performance that I adore. I will admit here that I'm not a big Cat fan in the books, and I know that Ehle would have finally succeeding in making me love Cat. Fairley did make me at least not despise the character, but, yeah, Ehle would have made me love her. I really wish we'd gotten to keep her in the role. She is just so wonderful.

The one character I would absolutely recast is Shae. Yes, the writing for her storyline was atrocious too, probably the worst bit of an excellent series. But here I feel that another actress might have delivered even those flawed scenes more credibly, and would have been more authentic as the woman Tyrion falls head over heels for. In general, though, I think this series has thoroughly excellent casting and with a few exceptions, has been quite adept at making the characters even look like they just leapt off the page. This is all criticism on the highest level as far as I'm concerned.

I agree so completely. I tend to not dog D&D pretty much at all for their changes on the show. They are streamlining a massive amount of material into 10 hours over the course of a handful of seasons, so I cut them a lot of slack and I think the show is damn fine quality television. However, the one instance of character change that I could not countenance and I do not get... mostly because they didn't change the freaking ending which made all of the character change make no sense! was Shae. Why make it seem like she was a good guy? Why make it seem like she was genuine, like she genuinely loved Tyrion... if she was going to wind up in Tywin's bed, betray him at the trial, blah, blah, blah after all just like in the books anyway? It made no sense.

Which leads to... had they cast a better actress then maybe the character changes might have been salvagable. I mean, we might have been able to see some scheming, some hesitancy, some depth there in the performance that would have shown conflict. But nope, all we got was seductress-mode, flouncing, pouting, seducing, more flouncing, pouting, whining, seduction attempts, more pouting, more flouncing, more whining, wash, rinse, repeat. Just awful. And all-throughout the actress offered up a blank expression with nothing going on behind the eyes, no nuance, nada. So disappointing.

As for recasting a part this struck me while reading the thread.... I didn't have a problem with Renly particular before, but after going through this I get your points... and I've thought of a really good recast for the role: Tom Ellis. He was in Doctor Who, Merlin and is in the new show on Fox this fall Lucifer. I think he would fit all the requirements perfectly.

That picture kind of proves my point. I'm not happy with her appearance and I feel that her likeness to Lyanna will be important.

Um, right.. You have a picture of Lyanna in your head and Maisie doesn't look similar so she's not the right actor for her role? Well that's logical.

Actually I think she fits the classic role of a beauty who starts off as a bit of an ugly ducling (I never saw her as ugly though but she was a boyish little girl in the beginning) and grows up to be a beauty instead of being a beauty all her life and depending on that as her only "skill". Very good casting then in my opinion.

Oh, yeah, I would've done some switching around:

Natalie Dormer as Cersei

Lena Headey as Cat

Nathalie Emmanuelle or Amrita Acharia as Arianne Martell

Natalia Tena as Asha/Yara Greyjoy

Gemma Whealan as Osha

Ciaran Hinds as Qhorin Halfhand or Doran Martell

Mark Killeen as Euron Greyjoy

Iain Glen as Jon Connington

Michelle Fairley as Barbrey Dustin

Mark Stanley as Beric Dondarrion

Richard Dormer as Kevan Lannister

Roxanne McKee as Val or Margaery Tyrell

Gethin Anthony as a slightly younger version of Mance Rayder

I was doing my write-up for best and worst casting and realized who I would have cast for Daenerys: Holliday Grainger.

She did The Borgias (which actually began the same time roughly as GOT), but she would have been SO MUCH better as Daenerys -- even though I loved her on TB. Anyway, she had everything that the role of Daenerys called for... devastating beauty, brilliant talent, mind-blowing charisma *and* she wore a very pale blonde wig on The Borgias and looked flawless in it (and she would have been 20 when they started Game of Thrones so her age would have been fine since they aged Dany up anyway especially since she looked younger). If you're not familiar with how she looks, here are some pics/gifs (these are from when she was on TB).

Still pics --

https://fashionbride.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/holliday-grainger-lucrezia-borgia-15.jpg
http://40.media.tumblr.com/fed7885228c140d0bf98f98af078ce21/tumblr_mill23faEn1qib0lto1_500.png
http://41.media.tumblr.com/2981486c399f19f7cf9a1d744ec46d50/tumblr_n7wr4imt4Y1qib0lto1_500.png
http://www.andreazuvich.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/lucreziaTheBorgias.png

Some gifs --

https://33.media.tumblr.com/6c5b0bd8da86a50c8a573246d8dd209a/tumblr_mlluskdpkJ1qe4kyho1_r1_500.gif
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ma7gpgpUCj1qe4kyho1_500.gif
http://25.media.tumblr.com/97d57567cca768be6feb9e788a6047c5/tumblr_mua58ifOOs1ryiagzo2_r1_500.gif
http://data1.whicdn.com/images/132627939/large.gif

I probably would recast Bran now that the actor is older, but I'm not sure who would be a better fit. Isaac was a good fit for young Bran back in season 1 though.

Also Renly. Somebody earlier suggested Liam Hemsworth for the role of Renly and that seems logical to me. If only they'd written the character to better match book Renly, as he was a very likeable character for me in the books, and not so much in the show.

Not sure why, but I liked the guy they chose to play Jory Cassel in season 1. I also like Jory as a character in his own right, and I don't know why.

As for recasting a part this struck me while reading the thread.... I didn't have a problem with Renly particular before, but after going through this I get your points... and I've thought of a really good recast for the role: Tom Ellis. He was in Doctor Who, Merlin and is in the new show on Fox this fall Lucifer. I think he would fit all the requirements perfectly.

I've never seen him act in anything but wow, that is a very good call, not only in terms of appearance, but in the general cheerful, charming, Renly-ish vibe he seems to exude, even in still pictures.

The only problem is that he would 'overshadow' Mark Addy's Robert. Gethin Anthony (who, for the record, I think did well with a badly-handled part) at least looks like he could be Addy's younger brother. A Tom Ellis Renly would almost make Robert look like he was the 'runt of the litter', which of course, he certainly wasn't. Obviously, many people would want to re-cast Robert as well though (which I'm a bit ambivalent about, as despite his physical shortcomings his performance was excellent).

Hah, I didn't even realize that Tom Ellis was that much taller than Mark Addy, LOL! Wow, 6'3 to his 5'11. Yeah. Ah, but he would have been such a perfect Renly. Ah well. I do agree that Mark Addy gave such an excellent performance though. Not that it matters anyway.

Out of the main cast: Emilia Clarke.

Countless times I've told myself she can improve or once she gets to face another MC she'll be more than average. Turns out she can't, she's not a "bad" actress by all means but there's a gap clearly. It's distracting not in a good way because the casting/acting make 50% of that show imo. Last time she was good was with Harry Lloyd and Jason Momoa... 4 years ago. Compared to Kit Harington who turned 180° somewhere between season 3 and 4 and gets even better it's kinda disappointing.

Selyse Baratheon- I think Kate Dickie (Lysa Arryn) would have been great for the role (even though I liked her as Lysa despite looking nothing like book-Lysa.)

Mance Rayder was a bit too old- I'd have liked Henry Ian Cusick- Ciaran Hinds would have been a good Greyjoy brother

Archived