Would you recast any character?

Ingelheim

Am I the only one who pictures Joseph Mawle (played Benjen) as Eddard? He looked far more like him.

He truly looked exactly like i imagined a Stark! but i don't think i'd replace Sean Bean, because he really did an amazing job.

Kit doesn't exactly look like Jon Snow, but i wouldn't recast him, think he is close enough to perfect. I think his acting is getting better.

I don't know. sometimes i feel like i'd recast Dany, but Emilia Clarke can do really well in some scenes. I always imagined the targaryens looking different as well for example i thought harry lloyd as Viserys was perfect. More pointy, slim features.

I'd definitely recast Littlefinger, didn't like him even from season 1 and he has just gotten worse. Even Sophie is better then him, pretty much carries the scene.

I'd recast Mance, as others have mentioned, just ill-suited

The Mountain season 4 was atrocious, id re-recast him with the Mountain from season 1

Don't like show!Margery. There's just something i hate about Dormer's performance...shes so obvious its kinda distracting and completely takes away from her character. plus shes too old

Others: Daario (Huisman is hot...just not Daario), Renly (really bothered me how they changed his character. Thought the actor did well with what he got though), Edmure Tully, Blackfish, new Tommen (why did they make him a teenager?), Thoros, Rorge & Biter.

Ramsay is somehow wrong, he's not quite the bastard from the books and wayyyy too good looking.

Renly's my main one, though the writing plays a part. Mark Addy looked more like a walking beer keg than an imposing warrior turned fat, but he pulled off Robert really well. Stephen Dillane is relatively short, thinly built and has a kind face, but he has all the Stannis mannerisms down and can put on a good Stannis face when he needs to. Gethin Anthony's Renly just came across as a giant wimp, which isn't at all like the attractive, confident, charisma king from the books, and there are the obvious physical differences.

Pretty much this

Mark Addy did a great job, only issue is it's tricky to imagine him as once being a highly powerful, highly attractive hero he was in the books but it doesen't matter too much if they had cast Renly better and made a point of saying Robert was like that

Actor playing Renly did well enough, but he was not book Renly and they really needed to make him out to be how Robert used to be etc. This was important IMO because it was a good example of leadership style clash and a strong contrast to Stannis's uncharismatic style. Pretty ironic that we have a fair few "Stannis the Mannis" fans. Stephen Dillane has done great, and for my part I think that his character has come across more sympathetically in ADwD since his interactions with Jon and then the sample chapter involving Theon and Asha

Outside of that I am happy enough with Ciaran Hinds as Mance Raydar, thought he did great in his scene with Stannis and Jon so far. Haven't seen Domenic West in the Wire or anything

Happy enough with Yarasha, she is pretty much as in the books,

I would have said Alife Allen perhaps in s1 as he doesen't look like book Theon, but that is a hard role to pull off going from cocky,arrogant Theon to terrified Reek but while not quite looking the part I have to say acting and mannerisms wise he has done fantastically, especially the way he started cracking up at Moat Cailin

Mountain season 1 was great

I reckon Gillen has it in him to do Littlefinger well, he is just interpreting it a little innacurately, eg he should come across as harmless but makes it too obvious he is a schemer. The guy playing Varys pulls the trick off well, you think he is everyones friend when in reality he has his own agenda

I think there was a different Illyrio in the pilot, can't remember the actors name but I've seen him in a few things. He would have done quite well

He truly looked exactly like i imagined a Stark! but i don't think i'd replace Sean Bean, because he really did an amazing job.

Kit doesn't exactly look like Jon Snow, but i wouldn't recast him, think he is close enough to perfect. I think his acting is getting better.

I don't know. sometimes i feel like i'd recast Dany, but Emilia Clarke can do really well in some scenes. I always imagined the targaryens looking different as well for example i thought harry lloyd as Viserys was perfect. More pointy, slim features.

I'd definitely recast Littlefinger, didn't like him even from season 1 and he has just gotten worse. Even Sophie is better then him, pretty much carries the scene.

I'd recast Mance, as others have mentioned, just ill-suited

The Mountain season 4 was atrocious, id re-recast him with the Mountain from season 1

Don't like show!Margery. There's just something i hate about Dormer's performance...shes so obvious its kinda distracting and completely takes away from her character. plus shes too old

Others: Daario (Huisman is hot...just not Daario), Renly (really bothered me how they changed his character. Thought the actor did well with what he got though), Edmure Tully, Blackfish, new Tommen (why did they make him a teenager?), Thoros, Rorge & Biter.

Ramsay is somehow wrong, he's not quite the bastard from the books and wayyyy too good looking.

The actor is fantastic, I think the issue there is that they are writing him differently, eg in the books he's a deranged sociopath who can fly off the handle at any moment and even Roose has trouble controlling but not quite so in the show, where he has Daddy approval issues etc

But Iwan Rheon will never live that role down I suspect, a bit like Jack Gleeson as Joffrey

I reckon Margaery in the show is fine, the issue with her character is that she has to be youthful enough to be a young Queen and rival/befirend/mentor to Sansa but she also has to be able to rival and hold her own against Cersei/Lena Headey too so it has worked out perfectly that the age of the Actress is inbetween the two

The actor is fantastic, I think the issue there is that they are writing him differently, eg in the books he's a deranged sociopath who can fly off the handle at any moment and even Roose has trouble controlling but not quite so in the show, where he has Daddy approval issues etc

But Iwan Rheon will never live that role down I suspect, a bit like Jack Gleeson as Joffrey

I reckon Margaery in the show is fine, the issue with her character is that she has to be youthful enough to be a young Queen and rival/befirend/mentor to Sansa but she also has to be able to rival and hold her own against Cersei/Lena Headey too so it has worked out perfectly that the age of the Actress is inbetween the two

Oh don't get me wrong Iwan Rheon i am a fan of...just not sure if he is suited to Ramsay well enough...or maybe it is the script or the way they've changed the character. The thing is, people should hate Ramsay way more than they should Joffrey but i haven't seen much hate towards him as jack gleeson used to get. maybee after this season.

Margery is just different on the show. I don't think it is necessarily better. I think the best part of Margery from the books is that Cersei's rival behaviour towards her came from her paranoia rather than have an actual basis to them. I feel like show Margery gives Cersei a reason to be paranoid.

What's wrong with Mance?

The common criticism is that he's not the rogue bard from the books but just an old patriot in the show. Personally I think that the actor's great and we just haven't seen the best of what show Mance has to offer yet. Although I agree that Dominic West would have probably been the better Mance.

I think there was a different Illyrio in the pilot, can't remember the actors name but I've seen him in a few things. He would have done quite well

You mean in the original unaired pilot? Have you seen it? Is it available anywhere?

Yes, he was played in the original pilot by Ian McNiece. http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Illyrio_Mopatis?file=Ian_McNeice_as_Illyrio.jpg

I would have liked to see that, and Jennifer Ehle as Cat.

"Even Sophie"?! :huh: Sophie is great, why would you say that?

Pretty much this

Mark Addy did a great job, only issue is it's tricky to imagine him as once being a highly powerful, highly attractive hero he was in the books but it doesen't matter too much if they had cast Renly better and made a point of saying Robert was like that

Actor playing Renly did well enough, but he was not book Renly and they really needed to make him out to be how Robert used to be etc. This was important IMO because it was a good example of leadership style clash and a strong contrast to Stannis's uncharismatic style. Pretty ironic that we have a fair few "Stannis the Mannis" fans. Stephen Dillane has done great, and for my part I think that his character has come across more sympathetically in ADwD since his interactions with Jon and then the sample chapter involving Theon and Asha

Though, as mentioned before, attractiveness is a matter of taste, I find it funny that I find show!Stannis to be more attractive than show!Renly, he's the most attractive of the Baratheon bros when he's supposed to be the one lacking his brothers' good looks.

Also, it was funny, when someone posted a pic of a younger Stephen Dillane with long hair, I thought he looked a bit Renlyesque: http://31.media.tumblr.com/04c7882a1b553b9af69590c91dde1cde/tumblr_n9k0utG7fx1togugro1_1280.jpg

Happy enough with Yarasha, she is pretty much as in the books,

Yara is nothing like Asha, though that's mainly the writing. They've made her stern and dull, when she's one of the sassiest characters in the books.

Oh don't get me wrong Iwan Rheon i am a fan of...just not sure if he is suited to Ramsay well enough...or maybe it is the script or the way they've changed the character. The thing is, people should hate Ramsay way more than they should Joffrey but i haven't seen much hate towards him as jack gleeson used to get. maybee after this season.

The main problem is that they've cut so many of the terrible things Ramsay did, or given them to other characters - because they cut his entire ACOK storyline: Lady Hornwood, the miller's boys/being the devil on Theon's shoulder, turning on the northmen/Ser Rodrik; and the burning of Winterfell was done off-screen. In season 3 he's only tortured Theon, which was horrible, but sadly, quite a few people didn't mind it since they already hated Theon. In season 4 he did do terrible things to other people, but his and Theon's storyline was in the background. Hopefully in season 5 they don't hold back, because you can't have a satisfying northern ADWD storyline without Ramsay being terrible to fArya and Theon and in general.

The main problem is that they've cut so many of the terrible things Ramsay did, or given them to other characters - because they cut his entire ACOK storyline: Lady Hornwood, the miller's boys/being the devil on Theon's shoulder, turning on the northmen/Ser Rodrik; and the burning of Winterfell was done off-screen. In season 3 he's only tortured Theon, which was horrible, but sadly, quite a few people didn't mind it since they already hated Theon. In season 4 he did do terrible things to other people, but his and Theon's storyline was in the background. Hopefully in season 5 they don't hold back, because you can't have a satisfying northern ADWD storyline without Ramsay being terrible to fArya and Theon and in general.

:agree:

If you compare how i felt reading about Ramsay (book Ramsay made me sick) and show Ramsay (yeh...he's a little evil) they are vastly different reactions.

i really hope fArya is in...ill be devastated if she isn't.

The only thing physically i disaprove of with Iwan Rheon's Ramsay is the fact that he doesn't disgust me which he should.

A lot of the reasons for.these recastigs seem more a problem with writing that the actual actors. For example, Renly.and Mance. Even the best actor couldn't have made him into "young Robert" with the material available. (not intended as a show bashing post).

Similar issue with YarAsha

The issue with Mace for me is just that he is underused. Hopefully that will chanfe come S5

The common criticism is that he's not the rogue bard from the books but just an old patriot in the show. Personally I think that the actor's great and we just haven't seen the best of what show Mance has to offer yet. Although I agree that Dominic West would have probably been the better Mance.

Maybe worth mentioning for the 3rd or 4th time that Dominic West was offered the role.

Even if there was some kind of miscommunication or other reason, West turned it down.

Archived