Would you recast any character?

Ingelheim

He fit the role of show!Renly. It's just that show!Renly is completely different from book!Renly.

Yeah, that's the case with a lot of the discussions of "recasting". Gethin Anthony is not Renly Baratheon, the younger Robert, social butterfly, ladies' man, man's man, and enthusiastic tourney participant. But that's not who Renly Baratheon is written to be on the show; the character has been reconceptualized as a quasi-modern man who seems genuinely indignant about much of the feudal system (hence, his big scene yelling at Robert) and is kind of pushed into seeking the throne by powerful interests (and also dislikes the sight of blood).

Much like Ciaran Hinds is not playing Mance as a jovial bard-king, and is probably not a good choice for such a role, but that isn't the role he was cast to play.

Seriously ?

Maisie Williams is in my opinion one of the best castings in the show !

All in all I think they have done very well in the casting for the show.

I agree she's a very talented actress.

But I hate Arya and would like her to be better looking(to lessen my hatred) or poorly acted(she'd have less fans and screentime). :lol:

I would have Justin Bieber play joffrey coz I hate Joffrey and if he was played by probably the most hated singer right now it would be convincing LOL! And the best part? They both have the same initials JB(he might be a lannister in truth but his official last name was Baratheon)

:agree: Couldn't agree more. Sophie Turner looks beautiful, and she can act, don't get me wrong, but for me, she just isn't right for Sansa.

I'm not sure if it's the scriptwriters' fault, but Sophie just hasn't managed to make her character sympathetic. I know there's plenty of forum members who think that she isn't sympathetic in the first place.... but still, I think more could have been done to stress her youth ... It doesn't help that she's so tall -- I know it's not her fault, but, y'know...

5 ft 7..

I agree she's a very talented actress.

But I hate Arya and would like her to be better looking(to lessen my hatred) or poorly acted(she'd have less fans and screentime). :lol:

I think Maisie Williams is sort of hot..(I'm the same age as her so it's not weird me saying that).

I'm going to say (and I truly believe this) that I'm probably the only one here enjoying Aidan's performance as Littlefinger.

I'm a little late in this response but I'm enjoying his performance, as well. From my reading, the Purple Wedding is where Petyr crosses his "too many items to juggle" line, and though he needs to portray himself as this ineffective, hardly noticed guy he is starting to realize that people are picking up what he's putting down. So I see the change in voice in the show, along with the difference in his treatment of Sansa/Alayne as in line.

I totally understand if his delivery is throwing people off, though.

I would recast Trystane. I look at that kid and see Dave Franco. His role on Scrubs bothered me so much I dislike him as an actor. Irrational, I know.

The "she can't be sympathetic because she's tall" argument from the post you quoted remains one of the most bizarre arguments I've seen on this forum.

Well apparently season 4 has displayed that argument with Brienne so..

But no really, while I agree that visual representation and whatnot does play an important role, at least subconsciensly, this remains a silly argument

I definitely agree with Renly, and I can see why Margaery, but Sansa?! Why? That's one of the best casting decisions they've made.

:rofl:

I have an irrational argument for recasting Sansa actually. But I think Sophie is a phenomenal actress, as I've said countless times.

Which one? :idea: :lol:

To be honest, I don't even know which of them is the worst.

When I first read through the book series, I actually thought of Dominic West (thinking of his role in 300), when they introduced Daario Naharis. Probably would have been quite the age gap. But, I would probably recast that character, but that likely has more to do with the image I formed in my head.

While on West, him as Mance never occured to me, but that would have been a nice character. Also, not on the subject of recasting, but just give West the role of the Crow's Eye, I think that would be a good one.

Lets see, I definitely pictured Stannis differently, but mostly just regarding his appearance, I like the acting, for sure.

Jojen is probably one I would recast. I just couldn't get on board with Jojen (didn't hate him, just wasn't my favorite). BUT, I guess that doesn't really matter now.

If we are going to argue that actors should be recast because of the difference between their height and that of the character they are playing, then Carice van Houten is the most glaring example. Kit Harington is a few inches shorter than Jon Snow is supposed to be; Carice is more than half a foot shorter than the Melisandre from the books.

When I first read through the book series, I actually thought of Dominic West (thinking of his role in 300), when they introduced Daario Naharis. Probably would have been quite the age gap. But, I would probably recast that character, but that likely has more to do with the image I formed in my head.

While on West, him as Mance never occured to me, but that would have been a nice character. Also, not on the subject of recasting, but just give West the role of the Crow's Eye, I think that would be a good one.

Lets see, I definitely pictured Stannis differently, but mostly just regarding his appearance, I like the acting, for sure.

Jojen is probably one I would recast. I just couldn't get on board with Jojen (didn't hate him, just wasn't my favorite). BUT, I guess that doesn't really matter now.

I would recast Jojen too, but sadly it doesn't matter now. :frown5:

If we are going to argue that actors should be recast because of the difference between their height and that of the character they are playing, then Carice van Houten is the most glaring example. Kit Harington is a few inches shorter than Jon Snow is supposed to be; Carice is more than half foot shorter than the Melisandre from the books.

Mark Addy as Robert is also a glaring example.

BTW, Sophie Turner as Sansa is NOT an example, since book!Sansa is also supposed to be tall. In this case, as with Kit Harington, people are complaining that the actors don't match the image they created in their heads despite those images not having much to do with the character description in the books. Our hero Jon must be tall, right? Except he's just average height in the books. Sansa should be a tiny, frail-looking thing so she would fit the image of "damsal" and so we could bring ourselves to feel sorry for her while she's being abused by powerful people while she's a hostage! Except she's described as being much taller at 13 than her aunt was at 21.

If we are going to argue that actors should be recast because of the difference between their height and that of the character they are playing, then Carice van Houten is the most glaring example. Kit Harington is a few inches shorter than Jon Snow is supposed to be; Carice is more than half foot shorter than the Melisandre from the books.

Nope, just one inch, maybe two. Jon Snow is short in the books as well. Both Stannis and Tycho towered over him. In my Spanish version, it says Stannis was nearly 6 inches taller than Jon, but that's probably made up and a bad translation. But either way, Stannis must be around 6'2-6'3. And Tycho, 6'3-6'4.

Kit is 5'7.5, while Jon is probably 5'8-5'9. But Stephen is a weak 6'0, so actually, there's a chance Show Jon looks taller around him than he should. Also, he's 17 at the end of ADWD. He still has 3-4 years of growing.

Archived