Who do the people from Westeros think is Jon Snow's mother?

Chilli

If Lyanna was Jon's mom, why did Ned tell Cat that Jon was his bastard son?

“Never ask me about Jon,” he said, cold as ice. “He is my blood, and that is all you need to know. And now I will learn where you heard that name, my lady.”

The Ned never actually tells Cat that Jon is his son. He says that Jon is his blood, which is still true with RLJ.

If asked who is Jon Snow's mother, most Westerosi would answer 'who the hell is Jon Snow?'

;)

The predominant opinion from those who know who Jon Snow is would be big shoulder shrug.

I agree with the first part, but not with the second. :)

The predominant part of those who know of Jon Snow pre-AGoT would be the northern lords. A lot of those were, unlike Robert, by Ned's side pretty much the entirety of the RR. They would know that there were timeline and location issues regarding Ned's story, but as the northern allegiance is pretty much to the Starks and no-one else, Ned's version of events would be the version they would support even if they most likely believe otherwise.

And they would never ever speak of those suspicions even among themselves. As we can see in ADwD they are not as stupid as Southrons believe them to be ;)

Think like the US Government, disinformation is key to hiding the real truth, especially when there are only two known people(Ned, HR), or more -septans given someone had to be capable to birth Jon.

Wylla was most likely true as a milk mother. but there has to be some connection of her between house Dayne and Wyman.

Ashara though not proven, seems to be F)Aeagon's Septa, as rooted out by Tyrion. He is usually right on speculation. And the Main reason he should/needs to be the Hand for Dany.

We're talking 3 months.

Which will make a big difference in a baby.

The funny thing is that, except for the Three Sisters inhabitants, many have made the connection with Dorne. But still no illumination...

I'm still waiting for Jaime to have a Eureka moment, he has all the cards : Rhaegar's personnality, Kingsguard at the Tower of Joy (and knowledge of the Kingsguard duty and personnalities, Ned Stark's damn honor... I have given up on Barristan...

Quite apart from the fact that most people simply don't think much about Jon Snow, it's a matter of first impressions. He's introduced as Ned's son; most people will reason from that initial introduction.

I think the rumors circulating the most in Winterfell and other courts is that Lady Ashara Dayne is Jon Snow's mother.. Lady Cately Tully and Queen Cersei Lannister also thinks so.. The story about Wylla seems to be known to the lesser public, mostly by those close to Lord Eddard like King Robert and Lord Edric Dayne.. The Fisherman's daughter story seems to be isolated in the Three Sisters.. I initially though this is why Jon was mostly accepted in Winterfell, because even though he is believed to be a bastard, he is a baseborn son of their liege lord and a highborn lady, much like Edric Storm..

I wonder what Varys thinks. He must have somehow kept an eye on Rhaegar to inform Aerys about his plans. Did Varys know about the prophecy and that Rhaegar needed a 3th head? And Maester Aemon, he must have known about the prophecy? But apparently he never linked it with Jon. What did he think about Rheagar and Lyanna?

Archived