(Spoilers) Sons of the Dragon Reading at LonCon Today

Viserys was one of Aenys's sons and Maegor's squire. He was long tortured (for 15 days) and finally killed by Tyanna of Pentos/The Tower after the Battle under God's Eye. He was 13 when he was killed.

Ahh, Targaryen family values!

We are getting a very clear picture that they more or less repeated this intra-dynastic squabbling throughout their entire history in Westeros.

Wait a moment!!! What about this:

There was some controversy as the boys grew as to whether they would maintain the Valeryian tradition of intra-family marriage. Memory fails a bit here, but I think Aenys married outside the family, for political reasons, and Maegor married one of his half-sisters (a full sister of Aenys). However, Aenys' soon had a daughter and many argued that succession should go through Aenys and then his daughter, before reaching Maegor. Meanwhile, Maegor (who had been married at 13 to a 16-17 year old and had proclaimed the day afterwards that he had created a son on his wedding night) had no children. Nor had he bonded with a dragon, claiming none were worthy.

What happened to this part of story? It was re-written?

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/83614-bubonicon-45/

Thanks very much to those reporting on this. I have a slightly spotty report on a reading of "Sons of the Dragon" from 2013-08-23 at Bubonicon 45. Is this the same material? Has it been revised? That one mentioned that Maegor married one of his half-sisters at one point. I know he had several wives in the end. Do we get a full list?

ETA - DanaKz beat me to it.

The six children of Aenys and Alyssa, we learned today, are -

- Rhaena, born 23AC

- Aegon, born 26AC (the year after Maegor married Ceryse Hightower)

- Viserys [if a birth year was mentioned, I didn't note it down]

- Jaeherys, born 34AC

- Alysanne, born 36AC

- Vaella (sp?), born approx 39AC, but died in the cradle.

Wait a moment!!! What about this:

What happened to this part of story? It was re-written?

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/83614-bubonicon-45/

I think the only possibly conflicting thing here is that Maegor married Aenys' daughter Rhaena (thus his half-niece) rather than his half-sister which could understandably have been confused in the earlier report. Although it's also possible that there was another Targ sibling in the Maegor-Aenys generation that has only been mentioned in these readings. (Confirm anyone?) Maegor is reputed to have had up to eight or nine wives, only three of whom have been named afaik.

Maegor didn't bond with a dragon until after his father's death, when he took Balerion.

The six children of Aenys and Alyssa, we learned today, are -

- Rhaena, born 23AC

- Aegon, born 26AC (the year after Maegor married Ceryse Hightower)

- Viserys [if a birth year was mentioned, I didn't note it down]

- Jaeherys, born 34AC

- Alysanne, born 36AC

- Vaella (sp?), born approx 39AC, but died in the cradle.

Nice! So Maegor killed Aegon (and Viserys too if I understand correctly) and then married Rhaena, presumably to cement his claim?

Aenys - born in 7AC, he cried all the time and had spindly limbs. He spat out the teats of all his wet nurses and would only nurse at his mother's breast. He once screamed for a fortnight. There were many that claimed he could not be Aegon's son, but had been fathered by one of the many favourites with which Rhaenys surrounded herself.

When his mother died, Aenys was three. After her death, he went back to crawling around as if we was a baby again. It was only after he became Quicksilver's rider that he grew strong [not clear when this happened, I have a hard time believing that it was at this point in his life].

In 11AC, Visenya announced she was pregnant. Maegor was born in 12AC - he was twice the weight of his brother at birth.

The brothers were never close during childhood. Aegon kept Aenys at his side at proto-King's Landing, with Visenya and Maegor living on Dragonstone.

Maegor was given his first sword at age three, and his first act with it was to butcher a cat. He was trained by Ser Gallen Corbray, the Master of Arms (of Dragonstone?). Aenys was trained by his father's Kingsguard, but lacked his brother's size and strength. From time to time his father would place Blackfyre in his hand.

There were six high Septons between 11AC and 37AC. Aegon the Conqueror worked with each one to keep them sweet and maintain relations with the Faith.

During all that time, the High Septons never spoke out about the Valyrian custom of brothers marrying sisters, which was common amongst Valyrian families, especially dragon riders, to keep the bloodlines pure. It was emphasised that the High Septons neither spoke for OR against it, so the issue remained unresolved. The lower orders of the Faith (septons, septas, wandering brothers, etc) did consider it unlawful.

GRRM also mentioned "sorcerer princes" of Valyria that would take multiple wives.

It seems that whenever a Targaryen king has children from two different wives, chaos will ensue. I'm talking to you Aegon, Viserys I and you too Unworthy Aegon. So stick to one Targs.

Thank you again

Yeah, and, don't forget Rhaegar as well. Well, if R+L=J is true, and he was planning to get 3rd head from another woman

2 wifes = shitloads of problems.

There were six high Septons between 11AC and 37AC. Aegon the Conqueror worked with each one to keep them sweet and maintain relations with the Faith.

During all that time, the High Septons never spoke out about the Valyrian custom of brothers marrying sisters, which was common amongst Valyrian families, especially dragon riders, to keep the bloodlines pure. It was emphasised that the High Septons neither spoke for OR against it, so the issue remained unresolved. The lower orders of the Faith (septons, septas, wandering brothers, etc) did consider it unlawful.

GRRM also mentioned "sorcerer princes" of Valyria that would take multiple wives.

Is there anything else about the Faith and their opinion on polygamy?

Well isn't Aenys just a hilarious baby?

Thanks for the thread and the great notes, everyone. Looking forward to Lord Varys' notes!

I have many questions but I'll hold off, with a few exceptions, until the rest of the notes are in.

Was this Lord Qoherys the one who "first nighted" the woman who helped Harren the Red get into Harrenhal? Any more about Qoherys or Harren?

I believe we heard that Orys Baratheon was slain at Harrenhal during this Harren the Red episode but that was not certain. Anyone catch that?

:D I am pleased that I was right. My theory was that Visenya had possibly killed Aeny but I added Maegor to the mix. Still I thought she had it in her to kill him.

It was certainly implied that Visenya finished off Aenys I. He was on Dragonstone, with "loose bowels and cramps" when he saw the realm in rebellion against him. Maesters couldn't do anything to help him, Visenya offered to take over, and [three?] days later Aenys was dead.

An hour after his death, or an hour after his cremation (my notes by this stages are Tolkien-esque illegible] Visneya flew off on Vhagar to Pentos, and when she returned, she had Maegor with her on his Balerion. Maegor having been exiled to Pentos by his brother King Aenys for five years after Maegor's sudden, unannounced, second wedding to Alys Harroway in approximately 39AC.

Archived