(Spoilers) Sons of the Dragon Reading at LonCon Today

Can you at least tell us how it looked on kindle? As in, how would you feel about having the kindle edition over the hard copy? (E.g. the art work and stuff)

I just read a single page - it looked like a standard text page. Having just discussed this lavish book with around 150 pieces of colourful coffee table book style art with Ran/Linda - let's just say I will be going for the hard copy.

I saw no art on the kindle - i don't know if it was the official pdf or just a working copy i was reading. The dummy copy of WoIaF I saw with HarperVoyager representatives was just the two covers - so no way of knowing what the art inside actually looks like first hand. But given the work that's gone into it, I'm sure it will be nice on the eyes.

Yolkboy, out of curiosity, which word did you say on which Ran based his decision of which passage you got to read? :) or are you not allowed to say that, either?

He obviously said 'sword' :p

I wouldn't know, but I guess it looks pretty good.

On Quicksilver and Harrenhal:

I guess the dragon was already pretty big by then - Aenys took the throne at the age of 30, and it seems that he bonded with Quicksilver at the age of three. He may have been as large as Syrax during the Dance, perhaps even larger, considering that Quicksilver seems to have been ridden quite often, and was not kept in the Dragonpit, which was not yet built. He should have been able to torch the rebels, especially since the vastness of Harrenhal really gives the advantage to the dragonrider...

It's a pretty long way from Riverrun to Harrenhal - Aenys could have been a lot quicker there on dragonback, and I'd have been surprised if Harren had already left the castle by then. Surely he only left Harrenhal when he learned that Aenys and the Tullys marched towards the walls of Harrenhal...

I just read a single page - it looked like a standard text page. Having just discussed this lavish book with around 150 pieces of colourful coffee table book style art with Ran/Linda - let's just say I will be going for the hard copy.

I saw no art on the kindle - i don't know if it was the official pdf or just a working copy i was reading. The dummy copy of WoIaF I saw with HarperVoyager representatives was just the two covers - so no way of knowing what the art inside actually looks like first hand. But given the work that's gone into it, I'm sure it will be nice on the eyes.

Ah well, thank you anyway :) I was planning on getting the hard copy, but was curious to know how the e-book looked.

Well I know the spelling difference between "Gargan" and "Gargon" are hard to tell verbally, I just meant if anyone else who was there distinctly recalled it sounding one way or the other.

But in particular, the one that I was curious about was the pirate Saan: one said "Sargasso" the other said "Salassor" - those are more than just a spelling difference. What did you have, Lord Varys?

I'd go for the hard copy in any case. You should not really be able to appreciate the art on an ebook reader, or an a bigger screen. Although I most likely will be an ebook version to have a mobile copy of it.

I think everyone is getting much too excited about "Davos Baratheon" - unless it's just an out of universe excitement. In-universe many names are common - I mean how many characters are named "Robert" or "Robb"?

Yeah, but most of those are dynasty names or people (like Robb) who are named after someone their parents had a special relationship with. Last time I checked, Davos isn't part of the Baratheon dynasty and I highly doubt that his old man knew Davos Baratheon well enough to name our onion knight after him.

So, you could say that in universe it was written in the stars that our favourite smuggler would be a Baratheon man to the bone. Most of the excitement is just out of universe fan excitement though.

He should have been able to torch the rebels, especially since the vastness of Harrenhal really gives the advantage to the dragonrider...

How much wood had Qoherys been able to rebuild, seeing that he did not have whole Riverlands to chop off weirwoods?

It's a pretty long way from Riverrun to Harrenhal - Aenys could have been a lot quicker there on dragonback, and I'd have been surprised if Harren had already left the castle by then. Surely he only left Harrenhal when he learned that Aenys and the Tullys marched towards the walls of Harrenhal...

I´d not been surprised. Quite possibly it was Harren who was surprised to not see Quicksilver in sky.

Since Aenys was on his royal progresses, slowed down by half his court, the news of his movements travelled ahead of him... so Harren the Red had a rough idea where Aenys and Quicksilver were. Getting dogs to eat Gargon´s genitals would have taken just a few hours, and the news of Harrenhal´s fall had to travel to Riverrun before Aenys even took flight.

Dorne had shown the Six Kingdoms that dragons could be killed, and that dragonriders could be defeated and frustrated even if they could not be killed. Did Harren take that lesson?

Yeah, Yeah, I had out-of-uninverse fan excitement about that too. But I mean, we've even got a "Rhaegar Frey" what with all the copycatting lesser families do.

And maybe it was written in the starts, dammit (that's a good way of phrasing it)

I don't know about you, but I was superexcited by Rhaegar Frey :D It was just so tacky and shameless. And it got even better when it was revealed that his son was named Robert :lol:

The baddest mofo will be Savage Sam Tarly.

Personally, that was my favorite piece of info from this reading :D

Getting dogs to eat Gargon´s genitals would have taken just a few hours

I'm far too amused by the idea of someone trying to convince dogs to eat this guys genitals over a period of hours. I think they probably would have just eaten them right away, if they were hungry.

Yeah, but most of those are dynasty names or people (like Robb) who are named after someone their parents had a special relationship with. Last time I checked, Davos isn't part of the Baratheon dynasty and I highly doubt that his old man knew Davos Baratheon well enough to name our onion knight after him.

So, you could say that in universe it was written in the stars that our favourite smuggler would be a Baratheon man to the bone. Most of the excitement is just out of universe fan excitement though.

Isn't Davos from the Stormlands though? Of course his father would name him after a Baratheon.

I wouldn't be surprised at the many Brandons running around in the North highborn and low born named after a Stark.

Archived