(Spoilers) Sons of the Dragon Reading at LonCon Today

Thanks for the report. I just wanted to ask for clarification on one thing. A previous report suggested that Maegor "set aside" Ceryse Hightower and you say he abandoned her. I'm guessing their marriage was never annulled, because that would solve the polygamy issue. Do you have any idea why Maegor didn't get an annulment? I get that the High Septon was her uncle, and thus probably would have refused at first. You'd think he'd annul her marriage after it became clear Maegor was not going to give up Alys Harroway, once he was exiled.

There was no mention. Grrm just said he abandoned her and then returned home to Oldtown. Nothing more was said about her, and as you say - the marriage wasn't annulled.

Speaking of Maegor's infertility problems, or that what pregnancies he did father turned out to be "monsters" with no eyes or too many eyes or bat wings, none of which survived birth...

Where is this from? I don't remember reading that from the first few set of notes.

Mentioned in passing during other readings of Maegor content, not this one.

The last version of the reading ended before this one did. What you're talking about is from one of the leaked worldbook samples we're not supposed to talk about.

King Harren the Red slew "everyone" in Harrenhal. Did that "everyone" include the bride who let him in?

What was the population of Harrenhal domain, and how many marriages normally occurred in a year?

Did the weddings tend to happen on convenient/auspicious days... so that Gargon the Guest would have had difficulties attending all weddings at the same time?

Do women owe jus primae noctis just once, as maidens, or are remarrying widows also liable?

Were any children attributable to Gargon the Guest´s visits?

Listening to the podcast here, thank you! So, Rhaena's birth pushed Maegor down the succession ranks? If that was GRRM's wording, that's interesting and odd (as related to themes discussed by me in this thread)! So.. Rhaena was the heir, nor Aegon? As noted in the podcast, Rhaena's marriage to Aegon was an odd decision. It might have just been a pure mistake, but perhaps succession issues were at work here as well. In light of later succession choices (esp. as made by Jaeharys I and Viserys I), how does Aenys' thinking of the 1000 year Targaryen legacy play out here?

Listening to the podcast here, thank you! So, Rhaena's birth pushed Maegor down the succession ranks? If that was GRRM's wording, that's interesting and odd (as related to themes discussed by me in this thread)! So.. Rhaena was the heir, nor Aegon? As noted in the podcast, Rhaena's marriage to Aegon was an odd decision. It might have just been a pure mistake, but perhaps succession issues were at work here as well. In light of later succession choices (esp. as made by Jaeharys I and Viserys I), how does Aenys' thinking of the 1000 year Targaryen legacy play out here?

Well Rhaena was born first, so as the child of Aenys she would be expected to inherit after Aenys by Andal law - a daughter before and Uncle. So Maegor would be pushed down the line of succession. It wasn't until the first Great Council that we had a female passed over to favour the male

But it is interesting that the Targaryens were following Andal tradition by then and indeed Visenya's journey to Pentos to fetch Maegor could be seen/construed as a move to re-insitute Valyrian succession over Andal custom. Would this aggravate the realms more to rise against Maegor's rule?

Visenya wanted to install her son as king. She didn't care if this was covered by Valyrian custom - about which we don't know anything - or Andal custom.

When Aenys' daughter Rhaena - his first child - was born, a majority of people said/believed that she would come before Maegor in the succession. Visenya intended to resolve that matter in Maegor's favor by marrying him to Rhaena, which would have enabled Maegor to consider himself the heir of Aenys, especially if Aenys would never have any sons - and even with sons, a case could be made that another son of Aegon the Conqueror by his elder sister Visenya married to the eldest child of Aenys would have a better claim than the second child of Aenys, even if he was a son.

But since that marriage never happened, Prince Aegon become second in line to the Iron Throne after his birth, and then Prince Viserys the third (after him would have come Rhaena and Alysanne). Maegor was always the last. When Aenys ascended the Iron Throne, Aegon became his heir. Aenys asked Maegor to rule the Realm with, he never named him his heir.

Questions from Radio Westeros podcast:

• Was it "Sargasso Saan" or "Salassor Saan"? You say in the podcast you have "Sargasso" written down - others in this thread said "Salassor".
  • So it's ABSOLUTELY confirmed, direct statement which you remember clearly, that Aenys had no sisters? (and that earlier report just got confused between Rhaena and Maegor?)
  • "Quentyn Qoherys (died 9 AC) his grandson Gargon practiced first night. A bride he took later let Harren the Red (alleged grandson of Harren the Black) through the gates of Harrenhal. Castrated Gargon and fed his genitiles to the dogs. Harren killed everyone in Harrenhal and then fled to the woods nearby. Later killed by (Bernard Brune?); Harren the Red was he first of the four false kings to rise but the last to be subdued." ---- Spelling of Quentyn and "Gargon" and "Bernard Brune" correct? Did Gargon directly succeed his grandfather Quentyn in 9 AC, or was his father Lord of Harrenhal as well?

• Was Quentyn Qoherys master-at-arms of Dragonstone or castellan? I know he was a retainer of some kind...

• Spelling question: "Harmon Dondarrion"? What was the name of the Princess of Dorne at the time, "Deriah"?

It was a reading. There is no way to spellcheck names.

King Harren the Red slew "everyone" in Harrenhal. Did that "everyone" include the bride who let him in?

What was the population of Harrenhal domain, and how many marriages normally occurred in a year?

Did the weddings tend to happen on convenient/auspicious days... so that Gargon the Guest would have had difficulties attending all weddings at the same time?

Do women owe jus primae noctis just once, as maidens, or are remarrying widows also liable?

Were any children attributable to Gargon the Guest´s visits?

There's no way of knowing any of these just from the reading unfortunately. The stories about the bandits were covered quickly.

Tully advised Aenys to fly to burn Harrenhal as before. Aenys declined and sent a land army.

The land army found nobody but corpses at Harrenhal.

If Aenys had taken the advice to fly Quicksilver to Harrenhal, would it have availed anything, or would he have found Harrenhal empty but for corpses all the same?

Yolkboy, out of curiosity, which word did you say on which Ran based his decision of which passage you got to read? :) or are you not allowed to say that, either?

I really can't!

Sorry :rolleyes:

Better coming from the text than from me anyway. WoIaF should be great.

I really can't!

Sorry :rolleyes:

Better coming from the text than from me anyway. WoIaF should be great.

Can you at least tell us how it looked on kindle? As in, how would you feel about having the kindle edition over the hard copy? (E.g. the art work and stuff)

Archived