(Spoilers) Sons of the Dragon Reading at LonCon Today

Jaak,

Aegon could have taken dragons with him on his progresses from time to time, but essentially half the court traveled with him, so they would have used horses, not dragons.

Leaving dragon behind would have meant he was just a man with a retinue, with no special ability to protect his retinue.

Leaving dragon behind would have meant he was just a man with a retinue, with no special ability to protect his retinue.

Jaehaerys and Alysanne went North with half the court and 6 dragons..

Why wouldn't Aegon be able to do the same with half his court? Aegon could have flown a dragon, nowhere was it stated that Aenys did as well.

And since Alys could jump on Vhagar while Aemond was riding the dragon, why couldn't Aenys get a ride from Aegon?

Jaehaerys and Alysanne went North with half the court and 6 dragons..

Why wouldn't Aegon be able to do the same with half his court?

Um, because he did not have 6 dragons. 3 total, then 2 after losing Meraxes, then back to 3 as Quicksilver grew.

Aegon could have flown a dragon, nowhere was it stated that Aenys did as well.

He did get strong as Quicksilver did.

Um, because he did not have 6 dragons. 3 total, then 2 after losing Meraxes, then back to 3 as Quicksilver grew.

What? Jaehaerys and Alysanne flew with 6 dragons to the north, and took half the court with them. So dragons and horses combined, sounds logical to me.

If they can do that, then Aegon can do the same with fewer dragons. His court ahorse, he on Balerion, with either Aenys on the back of the dragon (when he was young, on Quicksilver when older), or with Aenys on a horse.

I don't see the problem.. The two situations are very much comparable.. the only difference is the number of dragons, but seeing as there would have been more horses needed than dragons in both situations..

Speaking of Maegor's infertility problems, or that what pregnancies he did father turned out to be "monsters" with no eyes or too many eyes or bat wings, none of which survived birth...

...what are we to make of "Silver Denys", one of the "Dragonseeds" in The Princess and the Queen who claimed to be a bastard son of Maegor?

When he attempted to mount Sheepstealer it rejected him and bit off his arm at the shoulder, then as his sons were trying to staunch the wound the Cannibal came and ate all of them.

Nonetheless, while he failed and no one could verify his parentage, it was noted that he certainly had classic Valyrian features of silver hair and purple eyes.

Silver Denys died about 80 years after Maegor did...meaning that if he was his bastard son he had to be an old man...though this is not outright impossible (or he could have meant bastard grandson, and the story got conflated).

In any case, if Maegor was so infamously infertile (due to his incest genes screwing up) why would anyone think it plausible that he was a bastard son of Maegor?

COULD Maegor have actually fathered a bastard, as a complete fluke, and ironically never realized it?

Or, more likely, was Silver Denys just the bastard son of a minor Targaryen (like one of Jaehaerys I's many sons, or Aenys's other sons) and no one ever claimed him?

Regardless of fertility, it is just about impossible that Silver Denys was Maegor's bastard son. That would make him...probably older than Jaehaerys?

ETA: Well by the Dance of Dragons we have gone through...2 Kings since Maegor, both of whom died fairly old

Regardless of fertility, it is just about impossible that Silver Denys was Maegor's bastard son. That would make him...probably older than Jaehaerys?

ETA: Well by the Dance of Dragons we have gone through...2 Kings since Maegor, both of whom died fairly old

The last possible year of birth for a child of Maegor would be 49AC (9 months after Maegors death). In 129AC, that would make him 80.

Not particularly. Old King Jaehaerys, minus his wits, died age 69. Viserys was 52. Aegon I was 63 or so, Aegon Dragonsbane 37, Aegon Unworthy about 50.

Then again, late Lord Frey passed 90, and Maester Aemon 100.

Not particularly. Old King Jaehaerys, minus his wits, died age 69. Viserys was 52. Aegon I was 63 or so, Aegon Dragonsbane 37, Aegon Unworthy about 50.

Then again, late Lord Frey passed 90, and Maester Aemon 100.

I've ammended to highly unlikely. As R_T said, at very best Silver Denys would need to be 80

Keeping count of dragons:

By around 28 AC there were "half a dozen hatchlings" on Dragonstone, not including Balerion, Vhagar, and Quicksilver.

In 37 AC, two new dragons hatched - just after Aegon died, and Maegor helped put down all of the initial revolts which broke out against Aenys. Many hoped that two dragons hatching was a sign of future harmony between the two brothers. These *might* have been Vermithor and Silverwing, who were a breeding pair later on (mounts of Jaehaerys I and Alyssane). Given that Vermithor is described as "almost 100 years old" in 131 AC, it seems probable that this was him.

We know from Rhaena of Pentos that not all dragons who hatch survive to maturity, sometimes they can be runts who get sickly and die (it probably didn't help that the dragons were becoming as inbred as the Targaryens).

Some dragons might not be accounted for because they didn't live until the Dance of the Dragons (by dying violently; I'm fairly sure Balerion is the only one old enough to die just from old age like he did).

We know that Jaehaerys I and Alyssane rode a flight of six dragons to Winterfell - which must have included at least Vermithor and Silverwing.

Sheepstealer was "hatched when the Old King (Jaehaerys) was young", and the Cannibal was even older than Sheepstealer.

Vermithor was three times the size of Tessarion. Vermithor was also the largest dragon during the Dance after Vhagar died.

Dreamfyre was ridden by Jaehaerys I's sister Rhaena.

The other bigger, older ones during the Dance were Caraxes, Syrax, Meleys...I got the impression that Sunfyre was fairly young, while beautiful (not juvenile, just not huge).

Similarly, Tessarion is said to be a third the size of Vermithor, and that Tessarion vs Seasmoke was pretty much an even fight. So those two probably weren't that old either. It's also said that Vermithor was as big as Tessarion and Seasmoke put together....so Seasmoke may have been twice the size of Tessarion, but still not too big of a size disparity.

All of the others that were ridden were only just capable of bearing a mount.

So the older once during the Dance we know about were: Vermithor, Silverwing, Dreamfyre, Meleys, Syrax, Caraxes, as well as Sheepstealer and the Cannibal (though those two had no previous riders).

It is directly stated that after Vhagar died, Vermithor was the oldest and largest remaining dragon in Westeros -- not the oldest and largeste "after Vhagar", mind you, as so many other large dragons had already died by that point (Dreamfyre, Meleys, Syrax, and Caraxes who died with Vhagar). Vermithor may have been slightly older and larger than Silverwing, if they did indeed hatch relatively soon after each other early in Aenys's reign.

Not sure how many of these dragons could have flown north to Winterfell as part of the six: big ones from around Jaehaerys I's reign, who had riders, were Vermithor, Silverwing, Dreamfyre, Meleys, Syrax, Caraxes, Vhagar, and Balerion (who died late in Jaehaerys I's reign)....making for about EIGHT "heavy hitter" major dragons alive during his reign. Some may have stayed behind because they had no rider yet or were still very young.

Archived