(Spoilers) Sons of the Dragon Reading at LonCon Today

Considering that Silver Denys was most likely born on Dragonstone, Maegor would most likely have to father him prior to 37, since he afterwards seems to have moved permanently from Dragonstone to KL - as Aenys' Hand - and then to Pentos, and eventually back to KL via Dragonstone. I doubt that 'the Prince on Dragonstone' spent all that much time on the island after he took the Iron Throne.

If that's true, then Silver Denys would have to be even older.

If the successful and failed dragonseeds did have any recent infusion of Targaryen blood, I'd suspect mostly young Aenys. It has been said that he was popular with the women, and he would spent plenty of time on Dragonstone with his father, since he apparently lived half the year on island throughout his reign. Thus he could have fathered a bunch of unacknowledged bastards, before and after his marriage to Alyssa. Considering that she was pregnant often, he may have been in need of other company from time to time. This could be a good explanation for the success of Ulf the Sot and Hard Hugh - they claimed to dragons who once belonged to Aenys' children.

My guess is that Quicksilver was one of the six hatchlings - the correct phrasing was something like 'half a dozen dragons had hatched on Dragonstone since the Targaryen Conquest of Westeros'. Aenys only chose Quicksilver around 10/11 AC. My guess is that Jaehaerys' visit to Winterfell was early in his reign - in the 50s or 60s - since Alysanne was apparently bored by the talk in Winterfell, and adventurous enough to leave the king behind and explore the North and the Wall on her dragon. That suggests (relative) youth. I also guess the custom of the royal progresses eventually declined and died during Jaehaerys' reign - Viserys ruled the Realm from KL only, it seems.

I need to check the exact wording given in "The Rogue Prince" - I remember being annoyed that it wasn't specific about how old Syrax was. But I don't have my copy on hand.

There is nothing specific (seems I misremembered the passage, oh well), but we know for definite Syrax was young when Rhaenyra was 7:

Though only six when her father came to the Iron Throne, Rhaenyra was a precocious child, bright and bold and beautiful as only one of dragon’s blood can be beautiful. At the age of seven, she became a dragonrider, taking to the sky atop the young dragon she named Syrax, after a goddess of old Valyria.

She names the dragon Syrax, though it isn't clear whether she names her when she becomes a rider, or before this. However, we do at least know Syrax was a young dragon in 104 AC. I personally think Rhaenyra hatched Syrax's egg, but that is just speculation on my part.

Question: am I the only one for whom Google Chrome crashes every time you start typing a reply? I've had to start writing replies in Notepad, then quickly copy-pasting them in here and clicking "send" to get them through.

Anyway:

Ahhh, thanks, good, good, that confirms it then. Syrax was young and named by Rhaenyra, her only rider.

What throws me at times is the relative age/size of dragons. Look at how fast Daenerys's grew. A very young dragon can reach about the size of one warhorse, JUST big enough to carry a rider, after a few years of life, like 3-4.

Balerion was over 100 during the Conquest, Vhagar around the same age and size (which correlate) during the Dance. Vermithor was nearly 100.

So your 80-100 year olds, they're the big heavy hitters (Balerion must have been a true monster during the Faith Militant uprising, with another forty years of growth on him).

But even a 20-30 year old dragon is still relatively "young", but much more massive than we've seen in Daenerys's up to this point (the basic rule of thumb I'm working on is that Balerion's body-core was about the size of six warhorses, while their body-core needs to be at least the size of a warhorse to ride -- though their wings are MUCH more vast, in order to generate lift for such a heavy body.

So we can't tell if Syrax was a hatchling early in Viserys's reign or maybe 10 years old or so - maybe she spent some time "wild" before getting a rider and behind named.

...but this is just minutiae. We don't know if Rhaenyra raised her from an egg, but in the grand scheme of things the important thing is "she didn't have a rider before that". But Syrax would still be a "middleweight", large weapon of war, by the time of the Dance thirty years later...Good.

So that brings the "old big ones" who could have gone north to Winterfell to SEVEN:

Balerion, Vhagar, Vermithor, Silverwing, Dreamfyre, Meleys, Caraxes.

...I'm starting to suspect that while older than Syrax, Caraxes wasn't as old as Dreamfyre. I don't have my copy on hand, new computer: how big did TPATQ say that Caraxes was?

(Though it is possible that they simply didn't take all living dragons to Winterfell with them for that trip)

Just a few things I noticed. It appears to me that there may be a massive amount of dragonspawn seeds in dragonstone and on high tide. They have been there for at least 200 years. Before that it was a Valyrian outpost. Most of the proclaimed "seeds" could essentially have fathers and mothers that were seeds. Due to politics, I bet perhaps a lot of the sons were not allowed to marry perhaps in order to keep the family power in place. Silver Denys could just be three fouths Targaryen because all of his great grandfathers were Targaryen.

Everyone on that island dis probably half targaryen.

The Targaryens have been doing incest for a thousand of years. Perhaps its part of the "magic" or they've been good at getting rid of killer recessive genes. Appears they've acknowlged any risks they were putting themselves in a long time ago.

Has anyone noticed this part resembles a few Norman kings and queens before and after the invasion?

BTW, George can always pull the card that since Dany's three didnot grow in confinements (at least Drogon), they grew bigger than past Targaryen dragons of same age. I also assume that hunting makes a dragon fiercer and probably bigger. Syrax was a "fat" dragon because she didnot hunt by herself for a very long time.

The other bigger, older ones during the Dance were Caraxes, Syrax, Meleys...I got the impression that Sunfyre was fairly young, while beautiful (not juvenile, just not huge).

Caraxes, Syrax and Meleys were older and bigger than Sunfyre, but Rhaenyra also was older than Aegon, and Daemon and Rhaenys were older than Rhaenyra.

BTW, George can always pull the card that since Dany's three didnot grow in confinements (at least Drogon), they grew bigger than past Targaryen dragons of same age. I also assume that hunting makes a dragon fiercer and probably bigger. Syrax was a "fat" dragon because she didnot hunt by herself for a very long time.

Yeah, pretty sure he said something to the effect of "they'll grow as big as they need to grow". So I wouldn't assume they are going to grow the same pace other dragons we've heard of did.

indeeed, especially after the five-year gap was dropped.

Too bad TRP doesn't tell us when Jaehaerys and Jaehaera's eggs hatched.

It looks like a Maegor was needed to keep the Realm together and defeat the rebel lords, not an Aenys. And a Jaehaerys is needed to clean the mess the Maegor created.

I think Dany will be the new "Maegor with teats" (a title invented for her parallel Rhaenyra) and Jon will be the new Jaehaerys to clean the mess after the civil wars and the Long Night.

On top of that, Dany's dragons hatched in a magical event. GRRM can use that to explain their rapid growthspurt.

indeeed, especially after the five-year gap was dropped.

Too bad TRP doesn't tell us when Jaehaerys and Jaehaera's eggs hatched.

King's Landing, I assume. Since Jaehaerys and Jaehaera lived there.

Oh, wait, we don't know that their dragons were hatched by them do we....well I would still stick with KL, because it seems a bit odd if the hatchlings to be moved from Dragonstone to KL

Archived