Sasquan Spokane 2015 Worldcon

Well, I imagine that not EVERY room will be on a party floor. But I suppose there's always the elevator issue. Looks like a pretty sweet hotel, though. It's on the National Register of Historic Places, and it's the birthplace of the Crab Louis!

Thanks Aiofe!!!

As a points whore, I'll mention Hilton points aren't fantastic, and generally you can't use points for the con hotel (tried last year). There's a marriott across the street, but generally room rates are low in Spokane, so not worth using points.

I'd totally stay at the Davenport, since it looks awesome. I don't know how rough the walk is. In San Antonio it was nice to be super close so if you got a slot of shitty panels, you can head back and go to the pool (well I did, no one else did).

As for flights, 6 months out is probably the best. Flight schedules open up 11 months out, and if you're using miles to fly, you usually want to book that shit the day it opens up. Keep in mind non-stop prices will probably go up first, especially on prime days (IE day convention ends). Spokane mostly has direct flights through West Coast cities, but I think Seattle to Spokane flights are relatively cheap, and BA flies nonstop from Heathrow to Seattle. Carpooling from Seattle could be the cheapest option.

Looks like a pretty sweet hotel, though. It's on the National Register of Historic Places, and it's the birthplace of the Crab Louis!

I just wonder how this ended up as the party hotel. Have you looked at the pictures of the rooms? I keep looking at the pictures of the standard furniture in the rooms and wondering how the hell we are going to be able to take apart the beds to hide them in the bathroom or protect the ornate headboard and other furniture, etc. for the party suites. Ah well that is a year off so we will worry about that next year.

I's rather stay at a Marriott or Hilton but I will probably stay at the party hotel. As I tend to stay at those pretty late I don't want to have to go wandering around Spokane in the early hours of the morning to get back to another hotel.

As I tend to stay at those pretty late I don't want to have to go wandering around Spokane in the early hours of the morning to get back to another hotel.

This is my thinking as well. God forbid I run up on a sparkly vampire in the wee, wee hours of Spokane.

Or is that the wrong town? :/

Well, I imagine that not EVERY room will be on a party floor. But I suppose there's always the elevator issue. Looks like a pretty sweet hotel, though. It's on the National Register of Historic Places, and it's the birthplace of the Crab Louis!

Frisco you will be there??? EEEEEE!!! I'm going, got my membership when I bought LonCon membership. I will be there for sure even if I have to walk.

Frisco you will be there??? EEEEEE!!! I'm going, got my membership when I bought LonCon membership. I will be there for sure even if I have to walk.

I'm overdue for a trip to the PNW--already looking forward to it!

I know this may be a dumb question but what can I expect at a worldcon? This will be my first one

Oh sweet summer's child, what do you know of winter WorldCon.

There should be many, many panels/discussions about speculative fiction and all matters relating to it. There are signings and readings by whichever authors are attending and wish to do them.

There will be a dealers' room and art show. Dealers' room features lots of vendors (mainly books, comics, Tshirts, posters, some memorabilia).

Some folk dress in costume for part or all of the Con. there will be a Masquerade - a costume competition - on one night.

The Hugos for 2015 will be awarded in a semi-black tie event on the Sunday night of the con.

There will be parties, lots and LOTS of parties. Hosted by venues that are trying to garner support for future cons; hosted by some fan organizations; hosted by the WorldCon itself.

I have an attending membership and will be in Spokane, barring the unforeseeable.

Sasquan website indicates there will be a shuttle between the Davenport and the convention center. Knowing what hours that will be running BEFORE the hotel bookings open would be very helpful.

Archived