Sasquan Spokane 2015 Worldcon

My fiance and I will be there! It's two weeks before our wedding... but screw it! I'll just have to be very organized. We'll be arriving late Thursday night and leaving Sunday.

Is anyone coming to Seattle first?

OK Sasquan Hive Mind, despite my years of lurking both here and Con communications, I haven't gotten a sense of something very important.  Are there any wardrobe requirements other than comfortable, summer in Spokane, lots of walking clothes - and maybe a swimsuit?  For example, is there an expectation for any dressier events?  Are there costumes?  I'm sure most people "Come as you are, or who you want to be" - but it's good to know what the usual types of events are.  (I saw mention of bathrobes and PJ's - something that the BWB does...? Only the cool kids in the BWB?)  Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

OK Sasquan Hive Mind, despite my years of lurking both here and Con communications, I haven't gotten a sense of something very important.  Are there any wardrobe requirements other than comfortable, summer in Spokane, lots of walking clothes - and maybe a swimsuit?  For example, is there an expectation for any dressier events?  Are there costumes?  I'm sure most people "Come as you are, or who you want to be" - but it's good to know what the usual types of events are.  (I saw mention of bathrobes and PJ's - something that the BWB does...? Only the cool kids in the BWB?)  Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

It seems like at all times, comfy clothes are appropriate and most common, but some people dress pretty for parties or the Hugo ceremony.  And there are scattered people in costume, and there's a masquerade.  Pretty sure the Davenport has a pool, and if you're wanting to come on the Spokane River float trip on Thursday, you may want a bathing suit or shorts/tank top and some closed-heel shoes you don't mind getting wet.

Bathrobes would not feel out of place, either.  Neither would tiaras or fursuits.

Thanks!!!  Would you kindly let me know about the masquerade?  Is it traditionally like Comedia Del arte, or 17th century ball type, or just whatever costumes with masks?  OR...?

This is all very helpful.  This is really helping me figure things out. :cheers:

Forgive the double post but I'd like to thank the kind soul who took pity on my shocking and embarrassing ignorance and contacted me privately to let me know the masquerade is the cosplay competition. I have the feeling this is just the first of many humbling lessons for this trip. :D

SSW,

I'm already out on the West Coast to visit my family and have packed pretty light.

I'll reiterate that most of us dress for comfort, jeans and tshirts.  I brought a couple of  dresses for hostessing.   I group costume a day or two with a couple of the others.   I also packed one really nice dress for the Hugos.  Pajamas are just handy for having roommates, for mixed company in the rooms at odd times, for running back and forth after you thought you were going to bed, for getting a decent cup of coffee before you try to work out the shower, or for relaxing after a hectic day.  In addition, once I turned 40 I decided I'd wear my bathrobe whenever I damn well felt like it.  Turns out that's actually a lot more often than not.

Archived