Sasquan Spokane 2015 Worldcon

12:00pm - Bowl & Pitcher Park: Sitting in lawn chairs staring at the river and occasionally saying "yup" for no apparent reason. Whittling wood optional. Beer mandatory.

2:00pm - Riverside State Park: Floating down the Spokane River on a raft, falling asleep, and waking up somewhere in Idaho.

Yesssss.

For those in Seattle pre-con, anyone interested in the Precon? Prolog(ue) site here.

Also, who wants to hang out in Seattle? I'm travelling from Portland and would love to have a couple of days with BwB before I mosey over to Spokane on Tuesday.

Hi all.

I'm from Spokane (25 mi North). This will be my first Con, since it was in my backyard, I couldn't resist. I'm even booking a hotel for a few days rather than try to drive home late at night after attending one too many parties.

I tried to book the Davenport, but was too late. I booked the Davenport Towers instead. Its new and opens in June.

Here is a tip:

Costco sells $100 gift cards for the Davenport hotels for $80, they are good for food and lodging plus some other stuff. (I don't think they work for drinks). Another 20% on top of the con price is a good deal.

Riverfront park is nice, I'm not sure if the beer garden will be going.

Its not a bad trip from Fairchild to Spokane, there is not much traffic on the roads, so driving is fine. The bus terminal in Downtown Spokane is reasonable close to the Davenport, and there will be shuttles.

Let me know if you have any questions that I can help with.

Ed

I'd skip the floating down the river. It does not flow towards Idaho, but towards Grand Coulee Dam. First though you will need to go over the dam at 7 Mile, just a ways downstream from the Bowl and Pitcher.

During the summer, its a weekly occurrence that someone drowns. The river is dangerous to a extreme. There are some quite stretches where people boat and fish, but the river from Idaho to 7 mile can be dangerous.

So this probably is a dumb question..but I just received all my voting materials and was wondering if there were resources on what to vote for. I know a small bit about the Sad Puppies and I just dont want to accidentally vote/support their cause

So this probably is a dumb question..but I just received all my voting materials and was wondering if there were resources on what to vote for. I know a small bit about the Sad Puppies and I just dont want to accidentally vote/support their cause

OER, there's a ton of information at file770. In addition, they've been doing a bang-up job every couple of days collecting reviews, news and commentary on this whole thing.

There's threads devoted to this in Lit here. (thread I, thread II is on the first page in lit)

The problems with 6 nominee winning John C. Wright here.

Links to all the short stories and novellas available free online here.

If you want to do like I am and read everything, it's really really really hard and you might find the reviews here fun when you need a laugh or a few facepalms. In addition, it looks like this reviewer may have helped getting one of John C. Wright's works disqualified.

Edit: I forgot to add the best article of all from our very own Yagathai. It got both VD and JCW to demand an immediate retraction and apology. :snorts:

GRRM has also posted at length, scroll through his notablog.

If you wanna chat about it, message me on fb.

I was wondering who John C. Wright was, and how he came to get so many nominations. I've never read his books. If I were to restrict my reading to only those who agree with my politics, I would have missed out on some of the best writers.

So, I'm still wondering if his books are good. I don't have to agree with the personal philosophy of as writer to read and enjoy a good story. (as long as its not just a political advertisement)

I was wondering who John C. Wright was, and how he came to get so many nominations. I've never read his books. If I were to restrict my reading to only those who agree with my politics, I would have missed out on some of the best writers.

So, I'm still wondering if his books are good. I don't have to agree with the personal philosophy of as writer to read and enjoy a good story. (as long as its not just a political advertisement)

Go have a look through the threads about this in the lit forum - it will be revealing.

Here is a tip:

Costco sells $100 gift cards for the Davenport hotels for $80, they are good for food and lodging plus some other stuff. (I don't think they work for drinks). Another 20% on top of the con price is a good deal.

Badass! I checked costco.com, and none there, so I assume in person only? Which costco, North or East of town?

Also, who wants to hang out in Seattle? I'm travelling from Portland and would love to have a couple of days with BwB before I mosey over to Spokane on Tuesday.

It looks like there will be a few of us in Seattle before Worldcon. I'm arriving in Saturday evening. So I will be delighted to hang out before making the soujourn over to Spokane. :)

"Are there Hugos hidden in the village? Silver, gems? Is there food? Where is John Scalzi? Which of you village folk helped him? Where did he go? How many men did he have with him? How many women? How many homos? How many were minorities? How are they armed? How many wounded? Where did they go, did you say?"

"Are there Hugos hidden in the village? Silver, gems? Is there food? Where is John Scalzi? Which of you village folk helped him? Where did he go? How many men did he have with him? How many women? How many homos? How many were minorities? How are they armed? How many wounded? Where did they go, did you say?"

Frisco,

That's terrible. Just terrible.

:lol:

This is going to be a fun con. :p

• 2 weeks later...

This is going to be a fun con. :P

YES!

Serious business here. Frisco forgot his Cards Against Humanity. I am a novice at this fine drinking game and frankly I suck at it. I promised to sharpen my skills in the meantime and pick up any of the expansion packs that y'all don't have.

Can we please play?

Edit: Looking at flights out of Spokane. Tuesday is a lot cheaper than Monday. If anyone else is staying until Tuesday, I'd love a roomie. Our suite is only booked through Sunday night. Looks like I'll head out at 5 or 6 Tuesday morning.

YES!

Serious business here. Frisco forgot his Cards Against Humanity. I am a novice at this fine drinking game and frankly I suck at it. I promised to sharpen my skills in the meantime and pick up any of the expansion packs that y'all don't have.

Can we please play?

Edit: Looking at flights out of Spokane. Tuesday is a lot cheaper than Monday. If anyone else is staying until Tuesday, I'd love a roomie. Our suite is only booked through Sunday night. Looks like I'll head out at 5 or 6 Tuesday morning.

My friend made a Cards Against Westeros expansion pack. I will see if I can access the PDF for potential use in WA.

Archived