DC 2017, Helsinki 2017, Montreal 2017, or Nippon 2017, advocate your preference

Bill, I think it would be a good idea for DC to put someone on the committee who knows about pulling in a diverse crowd -- and then deliver on that goal and be very vocal about those goals. Loncon3 was an absolute delight (seriously, best actual con I've been to since 2006) because it had a much more varied program (going forward, I think every WorldCon needs a dedicated YA track in order to survive financially), and the crowd was full of people that you don't usually see at a WorldCon. Young people. Families. Cosplayers. Non-white people. As much as I love and support the DC crew, Helsinki has as much con-running experience as DC (so, that point is moot in my decision on who to support), but IMHO they have a major advantage in that they're already looking to bring in more than just the same typical WorldCon crowd. And, frankly, I saw exactly zero indication that DC was trying to do much outreach. They had their tent, yes. But KC and Helsinki went out of their way to engage people outside of their core audience (they walked around the fan village and talked to people, came over to the BWB party and engaged the VERY large crowd there, etc). There are, of course, disadvantages to Helsinki, but every bid has its share of good and bad.

Something to think about as you guys make your final push.

Martha,

There are plans in the works behind the scenes, which will be coming out. The committee decided to hold off announcing big things until our Worldcon Chairs are elected. There are discussions of vision, expansion, and new activities. I know the things I want to see... Please note that our committee has members who are experienced in running traditional SFF conventions as well as anime conventions, we have connections into the gaming world as well. DC has the advantage of being a minority majority city. There are discussions to create "scholarships" to help lower income area fans attend. Events will happen, we've bandied about plenty of ideas about doing different activities including having a quiddich scrimmage, bringing in a living history Civil War camp, playing croquet, author D&D, and special gaming campaigns. (none of these are guarantees just points of conversation). I had a discussion with John P. about something I would like to see happen as part of the art show, he liked the idea.

There will be price discussions as we work out the budget to try to guarantee affordability for more fans. About the only thing I think it is safe to say we won't have are pay to play media guests.

One other thing. I know Scott focused DC and Helsinki, but as noted, there are two other sites currently in the running Montreal, and Japan (my apologies, I know they announced a city but I haven't seen it yet). This is important for all the groups in the running and Sasquan. I expect to see a lot of votes and supporting memberships from people who can't attend Sasquan but are interested in the outcome of the 2017 site selection vote. This will be another year where I think that the vote will go through multiple rounds. Second and third choice votes will be important. In truth, everybody claims that this is a race between DC and Helsinki, but I think that is hubris. All four locations have dedicated fans and much to offer, I am bias of course, but I take no other location lightly.

Nippon is the Anglicised version of the Japanese name for Japan, rather than a particular city.

The bid page seems to indicate that the con currently plans to hold everything in the Granship centre, which is in Shizuoka. The 2007 con was in Yokohama. In the grand scheme of things, they're not that far apart, but it's still a couple of hours away from each other.

Scot, Maybe consider editing the title of the thread to list all four cities and the original post to include links to the four websites?

Then we can use this thread to provide information about the bids. And provide information for those not attending next year with information on how they can still participate and vote.

FYI:

http://dc17.org/

http://www.helsinkiin2017.org/

http://www.nippon2017.org

http://www.montrealin2017.ca/

Here's Sasquan's current (pretty bare) info on site selection voting. Lots of info on bid eligibility, not much on the bits actually applying to voters.

http://sasquan.org/site-selection/

There is always on-site voting and mail-in voting, and voting is open to anyone who holds at least a Supporting Membership of the vote-holding Worldcon. (In this case, that's Sasquan, who'll hold the vote for 2017. Supporting rates through August 31st are $40, or free if you voted in site selection in 2013.) I believe that online voting may be offered but is not required. Loncon had it, but I see nothing whether Sasquan will offer it or not.

This is copied from Loncon's site selection page. Sasquan's details will probably change with different rates and voting methods, such as including Military memberships in the eligible voter categories.

To be eligible to vote, you must be a living, natural person and an Attending, Young Adult, or Supporting Member of Loncon 3. (Please note that Child Memberships, Single Day Admissions and Hall Passes are not eligible to vote in site selection.) If you do not yet have a membership, please start by purchasing one before proceeding.

You will also need to pay an Advanced Supporting Membership (Voting Fee) to take part in the site selection process. This fee is $40. This fee will automatically convert to a supporting membership in the winning convention, no matter who you vote for.

Yeah every other one I saw in London did. I liked the Japan tent, they gave me lots of sake.

New Zealand 2020 didn't, but that's because they're still looking at potential venues and haven't yet decided whether it'll be Auckland or Wellington.

I've never bought a supporting membership before, but I'm tempted to get one this time so I can vote for Helsinki.

There are discussions to create "scholarships" to help lower income area fans attend.

Loncon had the Con or Bust program, you could ask them how that went.

going forward, I think every WorldCon needs a dedicated YA track in order to survive financially

mwahahahahahahaha :p

Loncon had the Con or Bust program, you could ask them how that went.

mwahahahahahahaha :P

Detcon, the NasFic actually had a good program for outreach. They have some passalong funds for future groups that want to do this. I expect we will be working with Tammy C. their chair on our own efforts.

Archived