DC 2017, Helsinki 2017, Montreal 2017, or Nippon 2017, advocate your preference

If someone tries to hand you a $20, run away.

The KC crew has been making ominous noises at me about that. I fully expect that I will wake up in KC on some morning in August 2016, desperately hungover and covered in $20s, and looking at a flyer that says "Tri-State WorldCon 2026: Con Chair Xray The Enforcer." And I will know that Stephen, Janice, Margene, Paula, Jim, and Tully will have orchestrated it. :commie:

The KC crew has been making ominous noises at me about that. I fully expect that I will wake up in KC on some morning in August 2016, desperately hungover and covered in $20s, and looking at a flyer that says "Tri-State WorldCon 2026: Con Chair Xray The Enforcer." And I will know that Stephen, Janice, Margene, Paula, Jim, and Tully will have orchestrated it. :commie:

2026? you are so cute... 2020 or 2021... You will be holding a Statue of Liberty, while slathered in marinara sauce, covered with $20 bills and SMOFed written on your forehead.

Happy to see so much love for the Helsinki bid! Even if I said elsewhere, that I'm here to answer your questions about Archipelacon, I can probably answer some about Helsinki as well. Like did you know that the city of Helsinki will provide all attending members free tickets for the public transportation? So that you if you can take time to see the city, it will not cost you anything to travel around.

Also there will not be any problems with the air quality in Helsinki, as there might be in DC - the only time air quality is bad in Helsinki is sometimes in the mid-winter. And you don't want to be here at that time anyway...

In the Finnish hotel prices, breakfast is always included (if you don't choose to stay in one of those really cheap automated hotels, where all you get is a code to enter your room). And no-one expects you to tip. So Helsinki is not as expensive as you might have thought! And if you take the time to come to Helsinki, you might want to take the ferry over to Tallinn as well. It would make a great day trip. St. Petersburg you can reach by train.

We have an experienced crew of con runners, we've done several Finncons (largest one was 2009 with 7,500 people) and there is also Worldcon experience, animecons, gaming cons, comic-cons... Did you know Finncons are free to attend? We are planning to apply for several grants for Worldcon as well, to keep the membership prices low.

So let me know if there is something about Helsinki you would like to ask!

Air quality attack? There was one code orange day in DC this year and only a couple even during the hottest days of summer in the last several years. DC offers free bus rides when there is a code red air quality day and I haven't gotten a free ride in years and I bus to work daily.

Of course air quality may really be saying that it can be hot and humid in DC in the summer. OMG! It gets hot in the summer! Yes, it can be hot and humid in DC. But the heat and humidity is very much on par or better than the San Antonio levels. KC has also noted that mid August can be very hot and humid as well. This year over the weekend that Worldcon would be held... highs in the mid 70s F with no appreciable humidity. Will that happen in 2017? I don't count on it, but I didn't expect it this year either. Fortunately, with the hotel and function space connected you don't have to leave the air conditioned comfort of the Marriott.

Yes, you pay for public transportation in DC, but there are tons of free museums once you get there. Or walk down the street a couple blocks and see pandas, tigers, elephants, and gorillas, for free.

One issue that has come up at recent Worldcons is that there have been accessibility issues. Everything is in the Marriott is ADA compliant.

EDIT: I removed a word because I realized it was a little snippy. Also my grammar sucked in one spot to the point of being unintelligible.

Air quality attack? There was one code orange day in DC this year and only a couple even during the hottest days of summer in the last several years. DC offers free bus rides when there is a code red air quality day and I haven't gotten a free ride in years and I bus to work daily.

I brought air quality up since it was something I was told several times in London by different people as one of their reasons to vote for Helsinki, so I think it is something quite a lot of people are worried about. If it is not a serious problem, the DC bid should address this concern. Didn't want to offend - perhaps I should have explained the context already in my first message.

I brought air quality up since it was something I was told several times in London by different people as one of their reasons to vote for Helsinki, so I think it is something quite a lot of people are worried about. If it is not a serious problem, the DC bid should address this concern. Didn't want to offend - perhaps I should have explained the context already in my first message.

I apologize, that is part of the 2017 race the DC group has committed to staying positive, and it gets frustrating when we face a constant whisper campaign to demean our city. The committee will have a response to the "air quality" issue. When I moved to the area in 2000 it was a little concern. I think there were three or four code red days in 2000 and 2001. With low wages at that time, I recall all of the no fare days as $2 extra was noticeable.

Pebble,

Helsinki has Vikings.

What possible thing or things can DC offer to equal that?

Finns were not Vikings. Norwegians, Swedes, and Danes were Vikings. I'm sure there are plenty of Norwegian, Danish, and Swedish decended people in DC. Similar to Helsinki. Heck, you can drive 40 miles and be in Deleware the US State that was created out of the former colony of New Sweden.

I'm sure your comment was ment to be tounge in cheek but it is as acurrate as saying "come to Kiel Germany, we have Vikings, because we're close to Denmark".

Archived