DC 2017, Helsinki 2017, Montreal 2017, or Nippon 2017, advocate your preference

On 1/28/2016 at 7:08 PM, DaveAx said:

Yep, rates are going up this weekend....

And they still have not set up a PayPal (or equivalent) system, despite multiple promises in the past to do so. For those who want to make a dollar-denominated purchase, this is a pain in the ass. [The Holvi system they are using is Euro-focused (which isn't unreasonable in and of itself), but it also asks for more personal info than I'm willing to provide.]

Now, I am aware that LonCon had issues with PayPal, and that this is a major factor. But the Helsinki team has known of those issues for well over a year.

Despite that, they promised PayPal at the Fannish Inquisition at last year's SMOFCon. They told me last October it would be available "real soon now". As of early this month, they were going to use Stripe instead, and have it available by 17 January.

As David Byrne once sang, "I'm still waiting."

And all y'all can be damn sure that if it's not available at the time of the rate increase, I will be raising a stink.

I am pleased to report that:
1) A Stripe (PayPal-like) payment system is now available.

2) The rate increase has been postponed until 14 February.

The combination of which has allowed me to convert to an attending membership this afternoon.

Thanks to those who offered to assist...

• 2 months later...

Starting to do some pre-planning for next year.  Thinking about doing Moscow for 3 days, St Petersburg for 3 days, then Helsinki for 4 days, taking the train between each.  I may add a day later (depends on vacation for my wife), but could chop one of the cities, or switch to other cities in Europe.  

Never been to any of those 3 cities (but am in London all the time, and going to Paris in 2 months), so any feedback would be great.

Ditto for me St Petersburg wise. Easy to hop across from Helsinki so looking to go across there. How easy is it to get to Moscow from St. Petersburg? Didn't think of going across there. Might make the faff of a Russian visa worth it if I hop to Moscow as well.

I was also looking at doing Talinn and Riga as apparently they're doable daytrips from Helsinki, if people have any feedback on those. :D

I think its a 4 hour train ride between St Petersburg and Moscow on the Saspan high speed train, with 10 trains leaving per day.   I think its about same time to get from St Petersburg to Helsinki via train as well. 

• 2 months later...

Since flights open up in 30 days, I'll post random deals from the US to fly over if I spot any.  

First if you have an AMEX, can get $200 off $1000 or more spending on Delta. Valid through 9/30, so assuming you sign up for the deal, then book flights around the end of September 2016 for August 2017, when the schedule opens up, could be a decent deal.  Not sure if gift cards will work (it did last year).    Obviously would work for KC as well if you're not booked yet. 

• 3 weeks later...

Flights booked. Wife and I are a go.

Will decide between airbnb and hotel. Tons of airbnb available close to the city center for around $100.   Probably way too far out to decide on which hotel or location, but would be good for all the BWB folks to stay near a spot (hotel/airbnb) if someone knows where to stay please let us know! 

Archived