DC 2017, Helsinki 2017, Montreal 2017, or Nippon 2017, advocate your preference

Insistence on Labor Day? Say what?

The next two Worldcons are not on Labor Day weekend.

Sasquan is August 19-23.

Kansas City is August 17-21.

And, of the four bids for 2017, only one is proposed for Labor Day weekend -- the one in Japan.

Dave, thanks for the info. The only Worldcon I've been to was Chicago two years ago, which was a Labour Day weekend, and the ones I'd looked at attending before then had the same general date range.

Filippa,

This is what Angalin said:

Just letting them know that DC, apparently, has some Moomin action too.

Urgh multiquote. Scot, I meant that Moomins might help Helsinki win the thread, though not necessarily the bid. :)

FYI:

From what I hear the Sasquan party suite request will go live at the same time as the room block opens. So our fearless party leaders be prepared, although I doubt it is first come first served, the reservation should be made sooner rather than later. This is pretty early compared to recent worldcons.

EDIT: clarified which Worldcon.

• 8 months later...

To everyone voting: there hasn't been a Worldcon bid recently for early August. Please consider voting for it because a lot of people can't make the later dates due to having kids in school and the dates overlapping with the beginning of the school year. I don't have kids, but I haven't been able to attend Worldcon for all the days for the last few years. This includes dates that coincide with US Labor Day. Montreal in 2009 and Denver in 2008 were both early August cons, but since then the dates have all been mid-later August, as Spokane and KC will be.

Let's just hope the Sad Puppies don't realize they get to vote for site selection and troll us all by sending us to Japan.

You have to pay an extra fee to vote in site selection, that should put them off.

DC 17. We have BWB on the con commitee.

Silly question, if I'm a friend of the DC 17 bid do I still need to pay the "voting fee."

Yes. The voting fee is your supporting membership to 2017.

You have to pay an extra fee to vote in site selection, that should put them off.

The extra fee is a supporting membership to the 2017 Worldcon. If they plan to have an ongoing campaign, the $40 is not a concern.

To everyone voting: there hasn't been a Worldcon bid recently for early August. Please consider voting for it because a lot of people can't make the later dates due to having kids in school and the dates overlapping with the beginning of the school year. I don't have kids, but I haven't been able to attend Worldcon for all the days for the last few years. This includes dates that coincide with US Labor Day. Montreal in 2009 and Denver in 2008 were both early August cons, but since then the dates have all been mid-later August, as Spokane and KC will be.

New Orleans hasn't nailed their dates down, I'll mention this. The benefit of a mid-august date for us is that we can sell it as a bookend to DragonCon or to Southern Decadence weekend (we'd be earlier). I always miss DragonCon because of Southern Decadence. (Who in their RIGHT MIND leaves this town on Labor Day Weekend?)

Kat, Helsinki's dates aren't really early enough for me. That year I'm supposed to be back on the 14th at 8am.

Let's just hope the Sad Puppies don't realize they get to vote for site selection and troll us all by sending us to Japan.

They are plugging for the vote, so far just starting. Japan's not even on their radar.

I'd be delighted with any of the locations, but Japan is probably out of my budget for next year. Early August is much better for me for an overseas trip.

I've got DC first and Helsinki second. If it's DC, I'll have to cut it short. Two years in a row of missing the first week of work is NOT going to be easy to write off as "professional development". I have it this year.

I've got DC first and Helsinki second. If it's DC, I'll have to cut it short. Two years in a row of missing the first week of work is NOT going to be easy to write off as "professional development". I have it this year.

I might be completely misunderstanding but this bid is for 2017. We are in KC next year. August 17th to the 21st apparently.

Archived