DC 2017, Helsinki 2017, Montreal 2017, or Nippon 2017, advocate your preference

I might be completely misunderstanding but this bid is for 2017. We are in KC next year. August 17th to the 21st apparently.

Yah, yah. I'm sleepy. I'm coming home late this year and cutting worldcon short next year.

OK...I'm a little confused.

To vote for the Hugos AND to vote for the 2017 WorldCon location, I need to purchase supporting memberships to both World Cons? Am I reading that wrong?

OK...I'm a little confused.

To vote for the Hugos AND to vote for the 2017 WorldCon location, I need to purchase supporting memberships to both World Cons? Am I reading that wrong?

To vote for this year's Hugos and the 2017 Site Selection, you need a membership in this year's Worldcon, Sasquan (either supporting or attending). When you vote for Site Selection, you pay for an "advanced supporting membership" in whoever wins for 2017. (We used to call this a "voting fee," but since it gets you a supporting membership in the winner, we changed what we call it.) You can convert this to an attending membership for an additional amount of money.

With a membership to the 2017 Worldcon, you will be able to nominate for NEXT year's Hugos (for works published in 2015), nominate and vote for the 2017 Hugos (for works published in 2016), nominate for the 2018 Hugos (for works published in 2017), and vote in the 2019 Site Selection if you pay the "advanced supporting membership" fee.

Thanks Perrianne Lurie!

So I will be purchasing my supporting membership for Sasquan this weekend and getting the supporting membership for voting on site selection for 2017 in a couple of weeks.

This is my question: Does my supporting membership for a particular site for 2017 count as a membership to the 2017 WorldCon?

Now I am really confused...I signed up for a supporting membership to Sasquan and received a registration page back saying 'No payment required. Thanks.' I don't recall signing up for any memberships at CapClave 2013 or ConCarolinas 2014. My name is definitely not listed as a member.

eta: This is apparently an intermittent issue according to the pre-convention team.

eta: Also, the voting package for Sasquan is supposed to contain 'The Three-Body Problem' and 'The Goblin Emperor'. Does the voting package have the novels in full or just excerpts?

Now I am really confused...I signed up for a supporting membership to Sasquan and received a registration page back saying 'No payment required. Thanks.' I don't recall signing up for any memberships at CapClave 2013 or ConCarolinas 2014. My name is definitely not listed as a member.

eta: This is apparently an intermittent issue according to the pre-convention team.

eta: Also, the voting package for Sasquan is supposed to contain 'The Three-Body Problem' and 'The Goblin Emperor'. Does the voting package have the novels in full or just excerpts?

It has excerpts for Ancillary Sword and the Dresden book, and the full novels for Three Body Problem, Goblin Emperor, and the Kevin J Anderson one.

This is my question: Does my supporting membership for a particular site for 2017 count as a membership to the 2017 WorldCon?

Once you vote in 2017 site selection, you are a supporting member for the 2017 Worldcon. Who you vote for does not matter. Your voting fee is the supporting membership.

Presupporting one of the bids "may" get you more. Many bids autoconvert presupporters that donate more than $150 dollars if the person votes in site selection as well. It depends upon the bid's individual choices. DC17 will be autoconverting their $150 or more donors that vote.

Even if you aren't a presupporter, as a voter, you can convert to a full attending membership at the best rate once the site is determined.

AB

• 4 weeks later...

With pre-apologies to AB, the Helsinki people really have it together. Archipelacon was super fun and went off without any visible hitches. And Finland (at least the island parts) is really nice. You should really consider this bid. I like cons in the U.S., but remember that this is supposed to be a worldwide convention. The Nordic fans are great and I was impressed with their fandom. This now goes beyond the date issue and people I see in Spokane, expect to be proselytized about the glory of Finland.

With pre-apologies to AB, the Helsinki people really have it together. Archipelacon was super fun and went off without any visible hitches. And Finland (at least the island parts) is really nice. You should really consider this bid. I like cons in the U.S., but remember that this is supposed to be a worldwide convention. The Nordic fans are great and I was impressed with their fandom. This now goes beyond the date issue and people I see in Spokane, expect to be proselytized about the glory of Finland.

Sadly, I could not be there to see it. I can only ask that people look at all of the bids and what is presented to compare them.

In the DC area we've hosted a very successful World Fantasy Convention last fall, and two Nebula Awards Weekends not too long ago. Plenty of convention running experience on the bid committee and promises of staff support from 5 other area conventions. Plus some of our younger committee members have some great ideas that planned to be implemented.

We'll match our facility against any current and past bid and, I believe, come out on top. For those with accessibility issues, we can guarantee access to the hotel nearest to the convention space, its in the hotel. The hotel has hosted large Anime conventions and knows fans. The room rate is the same for one person or four people, and actually better than those in Texas in 2014. I can't speak to all of the things to do in other locations, but even taking two weeks, a person can't visit everything in the DC area. There are more than enough suites for parties. Exhibits... ideas, many ideas... evil laugh.

There are three major airports in the area, two are international BWI and Dulles. Amtrak connects directly to the red line which go to our facilities at Union Station.

Laoise and I will vote for Helsinki. All of our international travel in the last eight years has been to the USA, so we want to see somewhere different. Having missed London and our planned Euro adventure last year, this is a perfect compromise.

I think we can just assume that people who are only able to make it to one or the other are going to vote for that site. People who can make both/neither should research all options and decide what's best for them/WorldCon without us pressuring them.

Let's not turn brother against brother and sister against sister--did we learn nothing from the Dance of the Dragons? :P

Archived