Wow, I never noticed that v. 7

Rhaenys_Targaryen

I had never noticed that when you read Cersei aloud near the end of ADwD 54 Cersei I (Dance+ Feast combined 101 Cersei XI) ...

She could not make any sense of this, unless ... "Tyrion lost half his nose in the Battle of the Blackwater. Slashing her face, cutting off an ear ... the Imp's grubby little fingers are all over this."

... we can almost hear how seemingly Littlefinger's trolling her very words.

No roads ran through the twisted mountain valleys where they walked now. Between the grey stone peaks lay still blue lakes, long and deep and narrow, and the green gloom of endless piney woods. The russet and gold of autumn leaves grew less common when they left the wolfswood to climb amongst the old flint hills, and vanished by the time those hills had turned to mountains. Giant grey-green sentinels loomed above them now, and spruce and fir and soldier pines in endless profusion. The undergrowth was sparse beneath them, the forest floor carpeted in dark green needles.

Bran II, Storm

In a land where it snows during summer, shouldn't those grey stone peaks be snow white?

"Up and down," Meera would sigh sometimes as they walked, "then down and up. Then up and down again. I hate these stupidmountains of yours, Prince Bran."

"Yesterday you said you loved them."

"Oh, I do. My lord father told me about mountains, but I never saw one till now. I love them more than I can say."

Bran made a face at her. "But you just said you hated them."

"Why can't it be both?" Meera reached up to pinch his nose.

"Because they're different," he insisted. "Like night and day, or ice and fire."

"If ice can burn," said Jojen in his solemn voice, "then love and hate can mate. Mountain or marsh, it makes no matter. The land is one."

"One," his sister agreed, "but over wrinkled."

Bran II, Storm

So, is the overarching plot of A Song of Ice and Fire headed toward restoring a balance between ice and fire, where too much ice leads to a Long Night and too much fire leads to a doom like the Doom of Valyria?

In a land where it snows during summer, shouldn't those grey stone peaks be snow white?

yes, it makes you wonder.

Not all peaks can be covered in snow. If they are too needle-steep like in the (Swiss/Italian etc) alps - Dolomitey or in Northern Norway there will be some peaks with snow and some will not keep the snow for sheer surfaces and wind blowing it off right away.

Now, what was George thinking of, when he wrote it?

"Yes," Ned said, in words that would brook no argument. "You must govern the north in my stead, while I run Robert's errands. There must always be a Stark in Winterfell. Robb is fourteen. Soon enough, he will be a man grown. He must learn to rule, and I will not be here for him. Make him part of your councils. He must be ready when his time comes."

Catelyn II, Game

There are some pretty wild theories as to why there must always be a Stark in Winterfell. Perhaps the reason is not so complicated...

The Liddle took out a knife and whittled at a stick. "When there was a Stark in Winterfell, a maiden girl could walk the kingsroad in her name-day gown and still go unmolested, and travelers could find fire, bread, and salt at many an inn and holdfast. But the nights are colder now, and doors are closed. There's squids in the wolfswood, and flayed men ride the kingsroad asking after strangers."

Bran II, Storm

Is the secret that Bran and Rickon were not in fact put to death by Theon the worst kept secret in the North?

"The Bastard's boys, aye. He was dead, but now he's not. And paying good silver for wolfskins, a man hears, and maybe gold for word of certain other walking dead." He looked at Bran when he said that, and at Summer stretched out beside him.

Bran II, Storm

And if so do all of the lords and ladies assembled at Winterfell on both sides of the walls know that Bran and Rickon were not in fact put to death by Theon?

And does that mean that nobody other than the men from the Dreadfort, the Twins and possibly Barrowton would actually fight for Roose?

"Stark's little wolflings are dead," said Ramsay, sloshing some more ale into his cup, "and they'll stay dead. Let them show their ugly faces, and my girls will rip those wolves of theirs to pieces. The sooner they turn up, the sooner I kill them again."

The elder Bolton sighed. "Again? Surely you misspeak. You never slew Lord Eddard's sons, those two sweet boys we loved so well. That was Theon Turncloak's work, remember? How many of our grudging friends do you imagine we'd retain if the truth were known? Only Lady Barbrey, whom you would turn into a pair of boots inferior boots. Human skin is not as tough as cowhide and will not wear as well. By the king's decree you are now a Bolton. Try and act like one. Tales are told of you, Ramsay. I hear them everywhere. People fear you."

Reek III, Dance

Is the secret that Bran and Rickon were not in fact put to death by Theon the worst kept secret in the North?

Bran II, Storm

And if so do all of the lords and ladies assembled at Winterfell on both sides of the walls know that Bran and Rickon were not in fact put to death by Theon?

And does that mean that nobody other than the men from the Dreadfort, the Twins and possibly Barrowton would actually fight for Roose?

Reek III, Dance

I suppose if the Bastard's Boys had been in the Mountains, the clansmen would have overheard what they were hunting.

Flickering torchlight danced across the walls, making the faces seem half -alive, twisting them, changing them. The statues in the great septs of the cities wore the faces the stonemasons had given them, but these charcoal scratchings were so crude they might be anyone. The Father’s face made her think of her own father, dying in his bed at Riverrun. The Warrior was Renly and Stannis, Robb and Robert, Jaime Lannister and Jon Snow. She even glimpsed Arya in those lines, just for an instant. Then a gust of wind through the door made the torch sputter, and the semblance was gone, washed away in orange glare.

aCoK the night after Renly and Stannis meet at Storms End, Catelyn goes to the nearest town to pray.

I always thought that Tywin had always been "on scene" only when Tyrion was the chapter's POV, but after a reread I realised that there a single occasion when this doesn't happen, namely Asos - Jaime VII.

After rereading the chapter I noticed some little touches that made me appreciate GRRM's work once more:

1 Tywin's greeting is the same.

Lord Tywin Lannister was seated beneath the window, writing by the glow of an oiling lamp. He raised his eyes at the sound of the latch.

"Tyrion." Clamly, he laied his quill aside.

"I'm pleased you remember me, my lord." Tyrion released his grip on Pod, leaned his weight on the stick, and waddled closer. Something is wrong, he knew at once.

ASOS Tyrion I

Lord Tywin was alone, for which Jaime was thankful. He had no desire to flaunt his maimed hand for Mace Tyrell or the Red Viper just now, much less the two of them together.

"Jaime," Lord Tywin said, as if they'd last seen each otherat breakfast.

ASOS Jaime VII

2 Different degrees of perception:

Lord Tywin pushed himself out of the chair, breath hissing between his teeth. "Who did this? If Lady Catelyn thinks-"

Lord Tywin looked away, disgusted.

Firelight gleamed golden in the stiff whiskers that framed Lord Tywin's face. A vein pulsed in his neck, but he did not speak. And did not speak.

Tyrion is incredibly perceptive of his father's emotions, we see it whenever they meet each other.

He always manages to know (or at least to think he knows) what's going on.

Examples: the quoted paragraph from point 1, or when Joffrey throws a tantrum during the small council meeting.

Instead, under Jaime's POV, we only get to see Tywin's external reactions without a single comment or consideration by Jaime.

The Kingslayer is either unreceptive or simply he doesn't really care.

3 Be it with Tyrion or with Jaime, these two sentences are always a classic:

"You are my son-"

"You are not my son."

4 Not even Jaime is immune to Tywin's gaze.

The strained silence went on until it was more than Jaime could endure.

5 As a general tendency, Jaime frequently interrupts his father when he talks, which is unusual with Tywin.

6 My personal favourite:

"We'll have their heads. Every one. Can you use a sword with your left hand? After Varys told me..."

If it wasn't already obvious that Jaime is Tywin's favourite son, here's a little touch.

The amount of details GRRM puts on the interaction between the three Lannisters siblings and their father is astounding.

Possibly one of my favourite things in the whole series.

Still rereading GoT for the first time...In Sansa's chapter about asking Joffrey for The Ned's life, she lists the families who are summoned to bend the knee and swear fealty. It reads like a list of the people who hate the Lannisters. Some things I noticed though: Joffrey/Cersei want Mace Tyrell, his uncles, brothers, sons. Overkill much? They want Lysa and Sweetrobin but not many others from the Vale. Most importantly, it says "Doran Martell, Prince of Dorne, and all his sons." Nobody else from Dorne, unless she didn't hear them. I didn't notice until now that Joffrey/Cersei only want Doran, Trystane and Quentyn. Not Arianne, who is Doran's heir. And, notably, they don't want Oberyn to come and swear any oaths. Given his nature and the history, why not? Would he not be known to be a bigger threat to Joffrey's stability on the throne than Doran or his kids? One would think that they'd want the Red Viper to come so they could try to leash him. That just struck me as odd.

Also, Tywin Lannister is described as bald! Didn't notice that before...not a hair on his head except for his sideburns.

Evidently, Renly and Loras were scheming from the beginning to make Margaery a Queen--while Arya's listening to Varys and Illyrio, they say that Renly and Loras want Margaery shipped to court so she can take Cersei's place. Interesting...

The black goat of Qohor, he knew. Jaime cupped his hands to shout, "You in there! Open your gates or I'll kick them down!"

I'd never noticed until a friend pointed out, but this is from ASOS about 100 pages after Jaime has his hand cut off.

Anguy the Archer bristled at the suggestion of cowardice. "Ask the goat if we've hidden, Hound. Ask your brother. Ask the lord of leeches. We've bloodied them all."

Arya VI, Storm

The Brotherhood without Banners was fighting Roose's (i.e., Robb's) men before they knew of Roose's intention to betray Robb.

Archived