If Wynafryd Manderly becomes Lady of White Harbour who is a suitable match for her?

naseridrl

Where do the Manderly's fit into things in terms of who is considered marriage material for them? Would a second son of a Lord Paramount be the right rank for someone like Wynafryd? Or would it be someone slightly lower ranked? I know she had her Frey betrothed but that was about revenge and pies. If she does become the Head of House Manderly who is a suitable match for her?

The way this is going, anyone who is alive and withing 50 years of her own age. Ok that's an exaggeration, but I think a lot of good marriage prospects are going to be killed off. She may have to marry someone a good deal older or even younger than herself.

If Rickon survives the series, any girl would be lucky to get him as he may end up Lord of Winterfell. Robert Arryn is also a good catch if he lives (sickly children sometimes go on to be perfectly healthy adults) and he actually has a possible claim to the Iron Throne.

Otherwise a nice Riverlander might do for Wynafred. And if Arianne doesn't die she'll rule Dorne which would leave Trystane available (assuming Myrcella dies per Maggy's prediction).

There are pitfalls for a house when it comes to marrying heiresses. She certainly wouldn't want to marry above her rank in any case, as the Manderlys would be effectively ended as a line if she had Stark children (say, in Rickon's case).

While I'm not sure if Westeros even -has- matrilineal marriage (considering the RIDICULOUS longevity of lines and houses, it must have at the very least a variant), marrying up is good for prestige, but it would irk someone with the survival of their name as a primary concern.

The way this is going, anyone who is alive and withing 50 years of her own age. Ok that's an exaggeration, but I think a lot of good marriage prospects are going to be killed off. She may have to marry someone a good deal older or even younger than herself.

If Rickon survives the series, any girl would be lucky to get him as he may end up Lord of Winterfell. Robert Arryn is also a good catch if he lives (sickly children sometimes go on to be perfectly healthy adults) and he actually has a possible claim to the Iron Throne.

Otherwise a nice Riverlander might do for Wynafred. And if Arianne doesn't die she'll rule Dorne which would leave Trystane available (assuming Myrcella dies per Maggy's prediction).

Sweetrobin is as good as dead, and he'd be a horrible husband. Even if he's healthy, he has other issues. He also has absolutely *no* claim to the IT.

You want to know what SR would be like as a ruler? Go look up Charles II

Rickon Stark, Lord of Winterfell.

If she inherited White Harbour she wouldn't marry someone higher than her, it would be pointless for both families.

They would need someone to either take the Manderly name OR at least have the children keep the Manderly name.

Now, if Rickon does not inherit Winterfell (Robb's Heir, Bran, Sansa) then perhaps Rickon makes sense, but not if he is the Lord of Winterfell

If she inherited White Harbour she wouldn't marry someone higher than her, it would be pointless for both families.

They would need someone to either take the Manderly name OR at least have the children keep the Manderly name.

Now, if Rickon does not inherit Winterfell (Robb's Heir, Bran, Sansa) then perhaps Rickon makes sense, but not if he is the Lord of Winterfell

Nonsense. There's plenty of examples of female heirs marrying above themselves. Eleanor of Aquitaine is perhaps the most famous example, as she did so twice, to Louis VII of France and then Henry II of England.

All that would happen is that their second son would inherit the Manderly lands and set up a new cadet house like the Karstarks.

I think that northmen of her age are few and far between, so maybe a southron? Tytos Blackwood has sons doesn't he and they worship the old gods, so would fit in well in the north (I know the Manderlys worship the Seven but still). An Ironborn isn't actually a bad suggestion, to help get rid of the bad blood between the north and the II and he could be in charge of the northern fleet, he should be happy close to the sea. Or a wildling to help cement relations there? She would definitely be marrying beneath herself but maybe that's going too far.

Nonsense. There's plenty of examples of female heirs marrying above themselves. Eleanor of Aquitaine is perhaps the most famous example, as she did so twice, to Louis VII of France and then Henry II of England.

All that would happen is that their second son would inherit the Manderly lands and set up a new cadet house like the Karstarks.

Show me an example of in Westeros.

Why would the Manderlys want the head of their House living in Winterfell and not running things in White Harbour? Why would the Starks want to take away the person who is supposed to running their largest city and profit center?

It makes more sense for both families if the married other people.

The only way it really makes sense if it was two separate regions marrying to unite, but White Harbour already is part of the North.

Are you absolutely sure of this? Predictions can be made to happen, and made to not happen. They are usually said as a warning, before they're said as prophecy. For a prediction to become a prophecy qualifying factors need to be met. When this takes place, and that occurs, then whatever will be could be.

It seems to be more about who Cersei's offspring would become. There is no clear mention of having a son, a daughter, and another son.

'Gold shall be their crowns, and gold their shrouds.'

Death is too literal. Their ascension makes most would jump to an assumption from. What gives them away, for those who decide to look more closely, is their golden hair. Hair is called someone's crowning glory when they have a distinctive shade, or style. It represents undoing all the best plans Tywin and Cersei had. That's how I see it.

SweetRobin is being systematically destroyed. Of that, can anyone have any doubt? He's being administered copious amounts of sweetsleep, to control his fits (and temper his outbursts). If the washing doesn't get you, the rinsing sure will. One way or another, he's on his downward spiral.

To wed him would possibly bring together....? I can see someone having a lot to say on that.

Rickon, when he re-emerges, may not be on Skagos. It makes no sense to head there, especially considering a boat is need, and to cross stormy seas. Think as Osha thinks, as a wildling thinks. I'm going with somewhere with water, to drink, rather than to cross. Somewhere that's got fairly easy pickings. Methinks also, he'll be more wilding as well.

There's already a Manderly backed mission to find Rickon. Davos certainly would need his smuggler skills to get close to where I'd say Rickon can be found. Osha is the only person Rickon will trust.

The more you think about Rickon, the less of a match he becomes, due to other factors.

Harrold Hardying - LF has designs on him, perhaps for Sansa (or Alayne).

Aren't there others, like eligible Waynwoods? Morton was at The Eyrie while Tyrion & Bronn were there. Donnel is the new Knight of The (Bloody) Gate having succeeded Blackfish. Wallace, the younger of the brothers.

Wouldn't this fit in with LF's plans? Maybe someone else can clarify status of those brothers. I can't find where they have wives.

Sweetrobin is as good as dead, and he'd be a horrible husband. Even if he's healthy, he has other issues. He also has absolutely *no* claim to the IT.

You want to know what SR would be like as a ruler? Go look up Charles II

And yet as good as dead isn't dead. Other issues can be overcome. Actually the Targaryens married one of their princesses to an Arryn lord, so it's quite possible that he DOES have a claim.

I see no indications that SR would end up like Charles II.

Are you absolutely sure of this? Predictions can be made to happen, and made to not happen. They are usually said as a warning, before they're said as prophecy. For a prediction to become a prophecy qualifying factors need to be met. When this takes place, and that occurs, then whatever will be could be.

It seems to be more about who Cersei's offspring would become. There is no clear mention of having a son, a daughter, and another son.

'Gold shall be their crowns, and gold their shrouds.'

Death is too literal. Their ascension makes most would jump to an assumption from. What gives them away, for those who decide to look more closely, is their golden hair. Hair is called someone's crowning glory when they have a distinctive shade, or style. It represents undoing all the best plans Tywin and Cersei had. That's how I see it.

SweetRobin is being systematically destroyed. Of that, can anyone have any doubt? He's being administered copious amounts of sweetsleep, to control his fits (and temper his outbursts). If the washing doesn't get you, the rinsing sure will. One way or another, he's on his downward spiral.

To wed him would possibly bring together....? I can see someone having a lot to say on that.

Let's go over the literal aspects of Maggy's predictions, shall we?

1. You shall not marry the prince, you shall marry the king. Check.

2. Three children for you, sixteen for him. Check and probably check.

3. Gold shall be their crowns. Two down, one to go.

4. And gold their shrouds. Joffrey's already dead, and Tommen is likely next. Some have theorized that Myrcella may already be dead.

Not to mention the fact that while crown could be taken to mean hair, shroud is pretty clearly referring to burial.

And you think death would be too literal?

Sweetrobin's being poisoned doesn't necessarily mean he will die. Sansa may well keep him alive. Really, some of you people should be more open to the possibility that the author might have something up his sleeve with that subplot.

We're talking about who she could marry, not who would be best to marry. If Sweetrobin lives, he'll likely be available. And he may be one of the few males living and single. At the end of the coming wars there won't be a lot of options.

And yet as good as dead isn't dead. Other issues can be overcome. Actually the Targaryens married one of their princesses to an Arryn lord, so it's quite possible that he DOES have a claim.

I see no indications that SR would end up like Charles II.

Other than the obvious mental and emotional developmental issues?

The marriage to the Targaryen family was 150+ years ago and completely irrelevant to "modern" Westeros. Every single living Martell and Baratheon have a *substantially* better claim. The percentage of "dragon blood" is so minute that any claim to the throne would be based on conquering. No one is going to sit him on the IT and claim it's because he's distantly, distnatly related to the Targaryens. There are probably people in Essos who are more Targaryen than him, Blackfyres aside.

There's Lord Harrion Karstark, or one of the Greatjon's sons, for the latter it would be the right match of brains and brawn. Or if she wants to marry someone from the riverlands, there is Partek Mallister, heir to Seagard. She has a lot of options.

Show me an example of in Westeros.

Show me an example of a female heiress marrying at all in Westeros. The only two I can think of are Lady Hornwood and Spotted Sylva, and neither of those are exactly volountary. Point is, we have a lot more information from our world than has been provided by GRRM.

Which means any conclusion will be speculation. I base my speculation on our world, what's yours based on again ?

Archived