If Wynafryd Manderly becomes Lady of White Harbour who is a suitable match for her?

naseridrl

Show me an example of a female heiress marrying at all in Westeros. The only two I can think of is Lady Hornwood and Spotted Sylva, and neither of those are exactly volountary.

The only other examples I could think of would be Lysa and "Lady" Hayford. Lysa barely counts. She's not actually related to the house except through marriage (LF's possible relationship to SR not withstanding). Hayford can barely walk.

Actually, I sort of suspect that it will be Jon. I don't think he will take the IT, or even that the North will be still a part of Westeros. If Rickon is the ruler in Winterfell, would he still be Warden of the North, or for that matter, King of the North?

Manderly has been a character since Book 1, and when his heir, a young woman, suddenly made an appearance it was as if we suddenly had a Checkov gun situation. And there are not a lot of possibilities for her.

Actually, I sort of suspect that it will be Jon. I don't think he will take the IT, or even that the North will be still a part of Westeros. If Rickon is the ruler in Winterfell, would he still be Warden of the North, or for that matter, King of the North?

1. Jon is a member of the Night's Watch. Remember that oath ? Yeah.

2. Even if by some weird and cheap stretch, Jon somehow got free of the oath, why on earth would whoever is Lord of the North allow that marriage? You're literally creating a revolt against your rule by putting someone with a bastard's claim to the title into the hands of the most powerful vassal.

If such a marriage had even been a possibility, Jon would have been betrothed before the books started. But it wasn't because Ned and Cat knew that it would spell trouble for not only Robb but his descendants for generations to come.

Eh, ten years or so. Sylva Santagar marries a man that's what, 50 years her senior ?

14, Wynafryd is 19 and Rickon is 5. Also there is a great difference between the man being older and the woman been older.

Show me an example of a female heiress marrying at all in Westeros. The only two I can think of are Lady Hornwood and Spotted Sylva, and neither of those are exactly volountary. Point is, we have a lot more information from our world than has been provided by GRRM.

Which means any conclusion will be speculation. I base my speculation on our world, what's yours based on again ?

Lady Hornwood and Lysa were not Ladies in their own right. Ermesande, Anya Waynwood, Rohanne Webber most likely Lyessa Flint and so on were.

Manderly has been a character since Book 1, and when his heir, a young woman, suddenly made an appearance it was as if we suddenly had a Checkov gun situation. And there are not a lot of possibilities for her.

There are way too many possibilities for her. Every second son is a possibility but Jon is out of the question.

Realistically it seems to me heiresses are better off marrying second sons because that way there is no wrangling over names and which child gets what and where they live. Also I think second sons would probably like marrying an heiress and being able to live a nice life in a great seat and not having to make their own way. In Wynafryd's case at least she isn't a only child so she has a sister to fall back on and any extra kids Wylla has could then be in line after Wylla.

• 3 weeks later...

House Manderly is an ancient, powerful and very wealthy house who rules over one of the five major cities in the kingdoms.. The family also has deemed worthy in becoming consorts to the Lords of Winterfell - twice, that is more than any Northern house in recent record history.. Wynafryd Manderly, being heiress apparent to White Harbor would have chosen a young man from a venerable family who share her family's sentiments - highborn, honorable and loyal to House Stark..

My money would probably go to Lord Hoster Blackwood, the "bookish and geeky" third son of Lord Tytos Backwood, Lord of Raventree Hall.. The Manderlys and Blackwoods apparently share many things in common - both are an ancient line, honorable, utterly loyal to House Stark and both share the same hate to House Frey..

Aurane Waters also seems to be a possibility, granted if he is still loyal to Stannis and is legitimated by him as Aurane Velaryon.. Aurane can surely manage the new built Manderly Fleet..

Aurane Waters also seems to be a possibility, granted if he is still loyal to Stannis and is legitimated by him as Aurane Velaryon.. Aurane can surely manage the new built Manderly Fleet..

Even legitimised Aurane is still a bastard and 7 yo Monterys is the Lord.

A cousin Manderly (maybe a son of Marlon) to carry the surname.

It is boring, but I agree this is probably the most likely and sensible match for Wynafyrd as well as one she'd likely be happy with. It was somewhat implied that the Manderlys have a decent sized extended family in White Harbor both by the presence of Lord Wyman's cousins Marlon (who is old enough and holds the status to support adult children of his own) and Donella and the unnamed knight wearing the Manderly arms with Wyman at Winterfell. Allowing distant cousins to marry back into the main line every other generation or so is arguably not a bad thing for the unity of a rich stable House like the Manderlys.

Finally such unknown Manderly cousin has probably grown up with Wynafyrd at White Harbor and she knows him very well. Also having grown up as a household knight he's likely to be content to letting his wife (rightly) be the ruler while he is her right hand man. Wynafyrd probably already has one of her cousins in mind...

It's hard to find a suitable consort for a lady of an old, respectable and powerful house. Given the current political situation, I guess pretty much everyone down of the trident is a solid no.

I would say Manderly's allegiance can be paid by marriage to a second son of House Stark, but Rickon is too young, Jon is a bastard and Bran is not only young but unable to walk and way beyond everyone's reach.

A Blackwood could be another option given that both families have strong ties to the North and have a mutual hatred for Freys and Lannisters. Umbers are also a possibility given their also fierce allegiance to the Starks, but maybe it could be considered a lesser house even if they are as old and respectable as Manderlys.

Even legitimised Aurane is still a bastard and 7 yo Monterys is the Lord.

Legitimated bastards, are not considered bastards anymore but official members of the house and can inherit lands and titles.. House Velaryon itself has been continued by a bastard line when Queen Rhaenyra Targaryen legitimated Addam of Hull as Addam Velaryon and become Lord Corlys Velaryon's official heir.. He later became Lord of Driftmark and presumably continued on the Velaryon line.. And granted Patchface's prophecy of seahorses and mermaids, the foreshadowing is quite palpable..

House Stark itself is presumed to have been continued by a bastard line from Bael the Bard who had a son with Lord Stark's daughter.. That son said to have continued the Stark line..

Legitimated bastards, are not considered bastards anymore but official members of the house and can inherit lands and titles.. House Velaryon itself has been continued by a bastard line when Queen Rhaenyra Targaryen legitimated Addam of Hull as Addam Velaryon and become Lord Corlys Velaryon's official heir.. He later became Lord of Driftmark and presumably continued on the Velaryon line..

House Stark itself is presumed to have been continued by a bastard line from Bael the Bard who had a son with Lord Stark's daughter.. That son said to have continued the Stark line..

1. Monterys's children would be heir.

2. Bale is BS.

1. Monterys's children would be heir.

I know Monterys is the current lord and his descendants will rule Driftmark.. What i mean is once Aurane is legitimized, he'll be an official member of House Velaryon and is presumably worthy enough enough to marry Wynafryd Manderly.. Wynafryd as Lady of White Harbor would also no choose an heir of a current ruling lord.. Heiresses tend to choose second sons of lords or distant cousins as consorts.. So regardless if Aurane Velaryon is lord of heir to Driftmark is out of the question, its his standing as part of the preeminent House Velaryon is what is important..

Archived