If Wynafryd Manderly becomes Lady of White Harbour who is a suitable match for her?

naseridrl

Always got the weird idea one of Davos's living sons will marry a Manderly. He's a ship-fairing man by nature, hand of a potential king(even if Stannis dies, he'll likely still be key in the remaining faction), and he is an adamant follower of the faith.

I see Davos as Stannis's bloodrider. Stannis will die hence Davos must die.

Always got the weird idea one of Davos's living sons will marry a Manderly. He's a ship-fairing man by nature, hand of a potential king(even if Stannis dies, he'll likely still be key in the remaining faction), and he is an adamant follower of the faith.

As much as i love Davos, i don't Lord Wyman will ever allow a marriage between one of Davos' son to marry his granddaughter Wynafryd or even Wylla.. A son of the Lord of Rainwood would still be quite too lowborn for the heiress of White Harbor.. Davos was born a smallfolk, and his sons were born from very humble beginnings while the Manderlys are a ancient proud house, the most powerful house in the North and one of the wealthiest house in the Seven Kingdoms..

As much as i love Davos, i don't Lord Wyman will ever allow a marriage between one of Davos' son to marry his granddaughter Wynafryd or even Wylla.. A son of the Lord of Rainwood would still be quite too lowborn for the heiress of White Harbor.. Davos was born a smallfolk, and his sons were born from very humble beginnings while the Manderlys are a ancient proud house, the most powerful house in the North and one of the wealthiest house in the Seven Kingdoms..

If the Lord of the Rainwood rules the Rainwood (we don't know since Stannis probably made up the title) House Wylde and House Mertyns are sworn to it.

It isn't.

But if they go for anybody remotely in their own weight category or better, they would need a Tyrell, Martell, Hightower or Redwyne. Limited amount of those and they aren't exactly loyal to House Stark.

Manderleys are not a Tyrell or a Martell. They are closer to Redwyne than Hightower. However how the Blackwood are weaker? For all we know they are one of the Tully's strongest bannermen.

I think Manderly wants to marry Rickon to Wylla, the younger sister, who's closer in age. Wynafryd remains heiress, and I wonder if she isn't the one who is actually calling the shots in White Harbor in Wyman's absence.

Normal candidates are falling like flies due the war, so it's possible for Wynafryd to marry below her station. There are also plenty of pretenders within a few days of travel from White Harbor: a yet unknown cousin, some minor lord in service to White Harbor, one of the Flints of Widow's Watch, maybe a member of House Magnar depending on how Skaggos enters the fray and the aftermath.

We may never know, though. I don't think Wynafryd's marriage prospects are going to be playing a role in the story. Most likely, it would be a "fifteen years later" epilogue, which may not happen.

Manderleys are not a Tyrell or a Martell. They are closer to Redwyne than Hightower. However how the Blackwood are weaker? For all we know they are one of the Tully's strongest bannermen.

The Manderlys are the Starks strongest bannermen. They rule a city. They are building a navy from scratch for the entire north.

The Blackwoods don't have a city. They are equal in power to the Brackens, and both of them lost their castles to the mountain's raiding party. It'd be a long shot for them to be even half as powerful as the Manderlys.

Because the Hightowers, Redwynes and Manderlys are the strongest non-Lord Paramounts by a large margin. 15,000-20,000 men compared to an average of 3,000.

The Blackwoods should have a maximum of about 4,000-5,000, give or take.

But what do the Blackwoods contribute to House Manderly? They are at the other side of a huge swamp, there doesn't seem to be a lot of trade between them, they do not contribute to a meaningful military alliance, etc. The Graftons of Gulltown might make more sense if looking beyond the North.

The Manderlys are the Starks strongest bannermen. They rule a city. They are building a navy from scratch for the entire north.

The Blackwoods don't have a city. They are equal in power to the Brackens, and both of them lost their castles to the mountain's raiding party. It'd be a long shot for them to be even half as powerful as the Manderlys.

Yet you forget that we are talking about two different situations. For all we know the Blackwoods are one of the Tully's strongest bannermen.

Because the Hightowers, Redwynes and Manderlys are the strongest non-Lord Paramounts by a large margin. 15,000-20,000 men compared to an average of 3,000.

The Blackwoods should have a maximum of about 4,000-5,000, give or take.

No idea what are you talking about. As I said ^ you forget that we are talking about two different situations.

But what do the Blackwoods contribute to House Manderly? They are at the other side of a huge swamp, there doesn't seem to be a lot of trade between them, they do not contribute to a meaningful military alliance, etc. The Graftons of Gulltown might make more sense if looking beyond the North.

Why they have to contribute anything in order not to be weaker than them?

The Blackwoods may not be as rich as the Manderleys but they have something the Manderleys lack of, history and most probably prestige.

Yet you forget that we are talking about two different situations. For all we know the Blackwoods are one of the Tully's strongest bannermen.

The Blackwoods may not be as rich as the Manderleys but they have something the Manderleys lack of, history and most probably prestige.

Does it matter? We know who the strongest bannerman to the Tully was. It was the Freys.

The Manderlys are the richest and most powerful bannerman to the Starks. Prestige is great and all, but money and power tend to trump that.

Besides it's not as if the Manderlys aren't prestigious in their own right.

I would not say, that the Manderlys lack either history or prestige. GRRM said, that the Mander was named for House Manderly, so House Manderly is one of the oldest houses in Westeros. Sure, they had to relocate a 1000 years ago, but they only seem to have gotten stronger because of it. The only thing, that works against the Manderlys is that the other Northern lords still see them as Southerners, but marrying a Blackwood would not help that problem.

Does it matter? We know who the strongest bannerman to the Tully was. It was the Freys.

The Manderlys are the richest and most powerful bannerman to the Starks. Prestige is great and all, but money and power tend to trump that.

Besides it's not as if the Manderlys aren't prestigious in their own right.

Not really. History and prestige sometimes is before wealth that is why the Arryns of Gulltown are ignored by the rest of the *family*.

And no Manderlys are not prestigious like the Blackwoods, they are not even close. They are rich sure, but anything more than that? No.

I would not say, that the Manderlys lack either history or prestige. GRRM said, that the Mander was named for House Manderly, so House Manderly is one of the oldest houses in Westeros. Sure, they had to relocate a 1000 years ago, but they only seem to have gotten stronger because of it. The only thing, that works against the Manderlys is that the other Northern lords still see them as Southerners, but marrying a Blackwood would not help that problem.

Really? I haven't seen it mentioned. However Manderlys were Andals when Blackwoods are First men who were Kings on their own right. So by definition Blackwoods are older and should I mention that they were Kings on their own right with famous relatives?

Not really. History and prestige sometimes is before wealth that is why the Arryns of Gulltown are ignored by the rest of the *family*.

And no Manderlys are not prestigious like the Blackwoods, they are not even close. They are rich sure, but anything more than that? No.

So pray tell, what makes the Blackwoods more prestigious than the Manderlys

So pray tell, what makes the Blackwoods more prestigious than the Manderlys

I've already said it; history, family connections, famous family members.

The Freys are the richest of the Tully's bannermen but they are not prestigious. Someone being rich doesn't mean that he has prestige.

Archived