Sand Snakes

nastydream

So where do you stand on the Sand Snakes?

I personally think the 3 eldest are Oberyns with tits only with some kind of weird morality when it comes to vengeance.

To the younger ones we don't know much.

I like Elia though

What's your take on them anyway?

I like Sarella given she is intelligent and cool. The other Sand Snakes talk about killing Tommen and "those sweet young squires" yet are shocked at Cersei's plot to kill Trystane, saying it's "monstrous" and "The woman must be mad, he's just a boy."

I don't think I've seen enough of Elia to make a judgement about her. I think her younger sisters are fine if Ellaria raises them.

I love the Sand Snakes, though I know I am in the minority on this. I canNOT wait for Winds, so that Tyene and Nymeria's characters can be fleshed out a bit (hopefully) and they can stop getting ragged on so damn much. I think there's much more there than just "Oberyn with teats"--they each individually exemplify a facet of Oberyn's character and personality, and I'm excited to see how that develops over the course of Winds, especially with the potential of them all working together under Doran's orders.

That's another thing: they swore allegiance to Doran on Oberyn's grave, something they most definitely did not take lightly. I don't see them betraying that oath and going rogue any time soon, though, again, that's the minority opinion.

Through them we're also probably going to find out 1) who Doran's "friends" in King's Landing are, 2) why Darkstar is "the most dangerous man in Dorne," and 3) just what the hell Sarella's doing in Oldtown, all of which I am extremely interested to know more about (not the least of which being that all those will go a long way towards revealing whether or not Doran's plans are more extensive and well thought-out than they seem to be at the end of Dance, a thing that I hope is true).

There's probably more there that I could say but that's all I can think of right now. GOD SAVE THE SAND SNAKES

I like Sarella and Tyene because they're the closest to being their own character rather than just being "Oberyn with Teats", like they feel a bit more original and with their own personality

But Nym and Obara can take a hike, I can't stand them

Elia looks cool, even if we've barely seen her

I love the Sand Snakes, though I know I am in the minority on this. I canNOT wait for Winds, so that Tyene and Nymeria's characters can be fleshed out a bit (hopefully) and they can stop getting ragged on so damn much. I think there's much more there than just "Oberyn with teats"--they each individually exemplify a facet of Oberyn's character and personality, and I'm excited to see how that develops over the course of Winds, especially with the potential of them all working together under Doran's orders.

That's another thing: they swore allegiance to Doran on Oberyn's grave, something they most definitely did not take lightly. I don't see them betraying that oath and going rogue any time soon, though, again, that's the minority opinion.

Through them we're also probably going to find out 1) who Doran's "friends" in King's Landing are, 2) why Darkstar is "the most dangerous man in Dorne," and 3) just what the hell Sarella's doing in Oldtown, all of which I am extremely interested to know more about (not the least of which being that all those will go a long way towards revealing whether or not Doran's plans are more extensive and well thought-out than they seem to be at the end of Dance, a thing that I hope is true).

There's probably more there that I could say but that's all I can think of right now. GOD SAVE THE SAND SNAKES

Why I love dornish vinegar.Well said

Sarella is my favorite and i like Elia

I loved the big three once but every time i read those chapters again, my dislike grows stronger and stronger. They're full of hypocrisy, scorn, bad attitude, and have shown none of Oberyn's caring/loving side.

...and they're stupid. "Wait...you and Oberyn worked together?! Whaaaaaat?"

So where do you stand on the Sand Snakes?

What's your take on them anyway?

I think of all the Sand Snakes, the one I see as most worthy (of what, I don't know) is Tyene.

Obara is a brute with a chip on her shoulder, and doesn't seem all that bright. No grace, or charm, or subtlety. She could make a good spearwife north of the wall though !

Sarella is in an interesting place and clearly very clever, but aside from that, not too interesting (yet ?).

Nymeria is the most sexually appealing, and clearly very dangerous, but she suffers from a terrible arrogance - even insulting Doran to his face, after having been imprisoned once already.

Elia seems like a girl trying to play at being a woman, and though she is quite precocious, one gets the feeling she's going to make some big mistake soon.

However, Tyene seems to have a lot of what the others do not. I was actually reading some Dornish chapters again today, and of all the snakes, she seems to be the only one who has a grasp of the situation and can be charming and subtle enough to draw out her uncle's good side. She often seems to speak for the rest of them when they can't or won't express themselves properly. She is the real leader among them. There is also something appealing about how her wickedness lies carefully concealed under a stereotypically sweet appearance; I get the feeling of all of them she is the most dangerous one.

I just realized that al the Oberyn's daughters are bastards, although brought up in the proximity of the Dornish court. He seems to have had partners that are not eligible for a Dornish prince. But why didn't he marry for the sake of the dynasty (alliances, legal offspring)? Any ideas? Any speculations?

The only Sand Snake I care for is Sarella. She reminds me a bit of myself (minus the whole crossdressing as a boy thing). I can't say anything on the four younger ones because we haven't seen much of them.

Sarella is my favorite and i like Elia

I loved the big three once but every time i read those chapters again, my dislike grows stronger and stronger. They're full of hypocrisy, scorn, bad attitude, and have shown none of Oberyn's caring/loving side.

...and they're stupid. "Wait...you and Oberyn worked together?! Whaaaaaat?"

How is Sarella your favourite? We haven't really seen much of her.

The only one I really like is Sarella. She is smart and talanted, yet seemingly kind as well, if her attitude towards Pate and Sam is something to go by. I hope she and Sam return to the North and team up with Jon as I believe they can do great things togheter.

The other Sand Snakes are entertaining to read about, but I do not cheer for them nor do I truly "like" them. I eagerly await their next moves though, with Obara going after Darkstar, Nymeria being a representative in King's Landing, Tyene trying to infiltrate the Faith and Elia going with Arianne.

How is Sarella your favourite? We haven't really seen much of her.

We've seen her about as much as we've seen Obara, Nymeria and Tyene.

Archived