Sand Snakes

nastydream

Obara is emotionally screwed up, very similar to Brienne, doesn't care about presenting as overly feminine.

Lady Nym I have her down as the most dangerous. Arrogant, lethal, gay (? the Fowler twins are both girls, right?), for me she is the one who most resembles Oberyn outwardly (widow's peak) and inwardly. I love her and want her to be awesome.

Tyene a bit of a cypher that one, I think she has Doran and her mother's outward mildness but inside, she's a schemer.

Sarella, the brainiest and most scholarly of the lot. The Sphynx is clearly impressing her masters at Old Town but don't forget there's probably a lot of hard graft involved too.

However, Tyene seems to have a lot of what the others do not. I was actually reading some Dornish chapters again today, and of all the snakes, she seems to be the only one who has a grasp of the situation and can be charming and subtle enough to draw out her uncle's good side. She often seems to speak for the rest of them when they can't or won't express themselves properly. She is the real leader among them. There is also something appealing about how her wickedness lies carefully concealed under a stereotypically sweet appearance; I get the feeling of all of them she is the most dangerous one.

It's always the quiet ones, right? No, I think Tyene is going to sow chaos in the sept before she's done.

I just realized that al the Oberyn's daughters are bastards, although brought up in the proximity of the Dornish court. He seems to have had partners that are not eligible for a Dornish prince. But why didn't he marry for the sake of the dynasty (alliances, legal offspring)? Any ideas? Any speculations?

Lady Nym's mother was an Essos noblewoman... Hence the "Lady" bit and probably also why of Oberyn's daughters Doran chose her to take his seat on the small council.

I don't think Oberyn wanted to be tied down by something as conventional as a marriage. I think it was important to him to be true to himself... and his sexuality.

I like Sarella and that's it. She is the only one with brains and a pleasant personality at least for now.

I despise the other ones with their warped morality, disrespectful attitude toward their uncle and cousin and probably everyone else who doesn't fit their hot-blooded, rash personality, blind devotion to Oberyn (who was despite everything an asshole) and their hypocrisy. Even Elia Sand. What an annoying teenager! I don't think she is precocious. Compare her to Robb, Jon and Dany at this age. They didn't go around like mischievous little brats.

I like Sarella and that's it. She is the only one with brains and a pleasant personality at least for now.

I despise the other ones with their warped morality, disrespectful attitude toward their uncle and cousin and probably everyone else who doesn't fit their hot-blooded, rash personality, blind devotion to Oberyn (who was despite everything an asshole) and their hypocrisy. Even Elia Sand. What an annoying teenager! I don't think she is precocious. Compare her to Robb, Jon and Dany at this age. They didn't go around like mischievous little brats.

Oberyn an asshole?

The only asshole-y thing I can think of is poisoning lord yronwood

(and that's not even confirmed)

Oberyn an asshole?

Oberyn is kind of an asshole yes. An awesome asshole, but an arse even so. I mean, the first thing he does when meeting Tyrion is bullying him, mocking him and trying to get in under his skin. He seem to grow to respect him more later, but he's not exactly a friendly guy. The way he treated Obara's mom was also kinda dickish (slapping her in the face and taking away her daughter, leaving her alon to cry herself to death). Cool he may be but friandly he was not.

Oberyn an asshole?

It's not confirmed but very likely IMO. He does poison his weapons. And who had to pay the consequences? Quentyn who had to be fostered away from his family and (for some reason) earned the scorn of the Sand Snakes. Oberyn got away scott-free if we consider he did poisoned Yronwood. Also there is the way he treated Obara's mother.

I don't really dislike him and I appreciate his hatred for Tywin and the Lannisters but I don't like him either. Just my opinion. I know he is popular and he is indeed a fascinating character.

I like Sarella given she is intelligent and cool. The other Sand Snakes talk about killing Tommen and "those sweet young squires" yet are shocked at Cersei's plot to kill Trystane, saying it's "monstrous" and "The woman must be mad, he's just a boy."

This. Also, they are portrayed as very one-dimensional: "this one is the lover, this is the fighter, this is the poisoner and they are the badasses sand snakes."

Oberyn is kind of an asshole yes. An awesome asshole, but an arse even so. I mean, the first thing he does when meeting Tyrion is bullying him, mocking him and trying to get in under his skin. He seem to grow to respect him more later, but he's not exactly a friendly guy. The way he treated Obara's mom was also kinda dickish (slapping her in the face and taking away her daughter, leaving her alon to cry herself to death). Cool he may be but friandly he was not.

I only remember the "spear or your mother" part.

Thanks holy goat

I find Tyene annoying but she's definitely smarter than the others, along with Sarella. I think they both are the only ones who, if given a plan of action, won't let their emotions to surface and ruin it, and actually play their roles up until the end. Nym and Obara are all blah blah blah and that can get you killed. Nevertheless, I think we haven't yet completely know the SS. We were introduced to them when they all lost their father, of course they were going to be mad and wanting revenge. Once we see them all doing the tasks they have been trusted with, that's a different matter.

About the little girls, we only know Elia so far. She seems cool. I think she's going to be quite important later. Maybe being the one Aegon falls for.

Ayyy...

About Oberyn being an asshole, the other option was to let Obara with her mother and grown up like a prostitute and having her virginity sold for a dragon to some random stranger.

We don't know the whole story. Maybe Oberyn first offered to take the girl with good manners or promised she would occasionally visit her, but the mother refused. Remember she first denied the girl was his to keep her. Sometimes, love is also making sacrifices: the girl was definitely going to have a better life with Oberyn than with her. Besides, I dunno about you all, but if some ex lover of mine tells me that he's raising my daughter to be later a prostitute or anything endangering while I can offer her something much better, I would simply take the girl and run.

^But the way he handled the situation... being a prince and all he could have offered a better life to the woman and let her see her daughter. No, he took away her daughter forcefully and later she killed herself because Obara was the only person she had by her side. And Obara seems immensely proud about it. No, there's something seriously wrong with that story IMO.

Obara is emotionally screwed up, very similar to Brienne, doesn't care about presenting as overly feminine.

Lady Nym I have her down as the most dangerous. Arrogant, lethal, gay (? the Fowler twins are both girls, right?), for me she is the one who most resembles Oberyn outwardly (widow's peak) and inwardly. I love her and want her to be awesome.

Tyene a bit of a cypher that one, I think she has Doran and her mother's outward mildness but inside, she's a schemer.

Sarella, the brainiest and most scholarly of the lot. The Sphynx is clearly impressing her masters at Old Town but don't forget there's probably a lot of hard graft involved too.

Yep, the Fowler twins are both women! Hoping that Nym does turn out to be exclusively attracted to women folk, it'd be a refreshing inclusion on the part of GRRM.

I like Sarella given she is intelligent and cool. The other Sand Snakes talk about killing Tommen and "those sweet young squires" yet are shocked at Cersei's plot to kill Trystane, saying it's "monstrous" and "The woman must be mad, he's just a boy."

I don't think I've seen enough of Elia to make a judgement about her. I think her younger sisters are fine if Ellaria raises them.

This is pretty much exactly how I feel. If Ellaria raises the youngest then they'll turn out really well.

Obara,Nymeria,Tyene and Elia resemble a lot their father in different ways.They are all great characters.If Sarella is Alleras she is the best.I wonder how their friendship with Arianne will go if she becomes Aegon's queen and how Tyene can influence High Septon.But I doubt they will all survive.

This. Also, they are portrayed as very one-dimensional: "this one is the lover, this is the fighter, this is the poisoner and they are the badasses sand snakes."

Now now, let's reserve judgement for later, we really haven't seen much of any of the Sand Snakes, plus we only ever saw them from Arianne and Areo's POV.

If they are Oberyn with teats they will get themselves killed soon enough.

He who lives by the sword, or in this case, she who lives by the spear, will die by it.

Very true, she has chip in her shoulder regarding her origins as the daughter of a whore who would have followed in her profession had her father not arrived. Obara doesn't even express any sorrow or grief when she mentions her mother drank herself to death as result of Obara being taken away from her. Her plan is to burn Oldtown, even though Oldtown had nothing to do with the deaths of her father or Elia and her children. She really wants to eliminate every trace of her past. As Doran said, she is chasing after something she can never catch.

Now now, let's reserve judgement for later, we really haven't seen much of any of the Sand Snakes, plus we only ever saw them from Arianne and Areo's POV.

The OP created a thread about people's opinion on the Sand Snakes, and that is how they were portrayed to me so far.

Very true, she has chip in her shoulder regarding her origins as the daughter of a whore who would have followed in her profession had her father not arrived. Obara doesn't even express any sorrow or grief when she mentions her mother drank herself to death as result of Obara being taken away from her. Her plan is to burn Oldtown, even though Oldtown had nothing to do with the deaths of her father or Elia and her children. She really wants to eliminate every trace of her past. As Doran said, she is chasing after something she can never catch.

Hmmm, so clever old Doran decides to give her someone to catch....

Archived