Meryn Trant - good swordsman or a joke?

Sir Bronn

What do you think?How good fighter he was?Imo ,he was tier 3-5.Jamie described him as a good fighter ,Margarey told that he was old and slow.I think ,that someone who is a member of the KG ,whose main work was hiting Sansa is not higher than average swordsman.

How do you see him for example against Bronn?Imo he would be out classed,but i have heard they are at similar level ,what i don't believe in.

He's still probably better than your average knight in westeros but I wouldn't say he's worthy of the white cloak. Its hard to judge as I don't think we ever seen him in a fight against another knight. He beat Syrio but he had some distinct advantages in that fight as well (armour and an actual blade). I'd still say Bronn could beat him though.

I would say it's a pretty sound bet that he's a skilled swordsman because he would have been trained properly, but also a pretty good bet he's not extraordinary because he's not famous like the 'giants' of Westerosi warfare. If Jaime says he's good I tend to believe it too. Jaime is very proud of his swordsmanship so he's not going to praise people who don't deserve it in this respect.

The difference between Bronn and Meryn is in the head. Bronn has the sneakiness to out think Meryn. I see the fight going similarly to when Bronn stepped up for Tyrion against the knight of the Vale. Meryn is probably well prepared, but we've seen how Bronn strategises and makes plans for people who aren't even a threat to him, just in case. Bronn already knows how he's going to win that fight.

What do you think?How good fighter he was?Imo ,he was tier 3-5.Jamie described him as a good fighter ,Margarey told that he was old and slow.I think ,that someone who is a member of the KG ,whose main work was hiting Sansa is not higher than average swordsman.

How do you see him for example against Bronn?Imo he would be out classed,but i have heard they are at similar level ,what i don't believe in.

Morale quality has no relevance for how skilled you are with the sword. So I would assume that his skill in arms does not shame the white cloak at the least.

I had always thought he's an above average swordsman. Certainly not on the level of Jaime or Barristan, but I imagine he's good with a sword. He's a complete asshole, but that doesn't preclude him from being good with a sword. I would say the only KG that is terrible with a sword is Boros. The rest, as dickish as they have been, are at least above average.

You kidding me?

I'm not, Meryn could kill young lords who know how to fight but are still average, like Robb and fAegon.

That's not really impressive but well we're talking about one of the weakest KG.

Can't murder someone who's already dead

Good point but Meryn is still a better swordsman than Robb ever was.

"You are slow, for a knight", Syrio to Trant. He's just OK; his major talent is whomping young girls, not fighting grown men.

"Meryn, we hates it. We hates if forever."

I think Syrio was rather trying to ashame and confuse Trant than to give a correct description of his fencing style :-) (Anyway, Trant is clearly not a second Barristan or Daemon Blackfyre, but he must be a capable swordsman if Jaime calls him one.)

Archived