Meryn Trant - good swordsman or a joke?

Sir Bronn

Jaime wanted an opportunity to fight Ned because he thought he might be a challenge. Though he said Trant was good, he didn't seem to think him exceptional, so I'd say that he's probably up in the top 10% of swordsmen but not quite as good as Ned...or maybe Jaime thought Ned was an interesting fighter because of his sword. An expertly wielded Valyrian steel greatsword could be very dangerous even to a more skilled swordsman, especially one wielding plain castle forged steel.

Where does this come from? I don't recall anything like it. Ned wasn't nearly in Jaime's class and both knew it. A Valyrian sword would give an edge (no pun intended) to a fighter in a near-equal contest but won't make up for a skill deficit as was demonstrated when Jon fought Qhorin Halfhand.

In the book it's Shagga or Dolf or someone that Tyrion threatens Meryn with, isn't it? Or at least the clansmen are present. I'd keep my mouth shut too tbh.

ETA:

Tyrion Lannister raised an eyebrow. “I am not threatening the king, ser, I am educating my nephew. Bronn, Timett, the next time Ser Boros opens his mouth, kill him.”

He doesn't even threaten Meryn in the books.

What was the exact word Jaime used? "Adequate"?

If he's just average by knight standards (like, say, Ned), then I reckon he can probably beat Bronn one vs one, in a fair fight, going by Bronn's performance against a knight suffering several ridiculous handicaps in an area that gave Bronn an advantage. And by "fair", I mean Trant gets full plate and Bronn doesn't.

Yeah, TV!Trant isn't really Meryn Trant. He's a mix of Trant and Boros Blount (even though Blout is technically in the series), kind of like how Show Polliver is a mix of Polliver and Raff.

Meryn loses a joust against Loras Tyrell (but that said, the real question would actually be who doesn't lose against Loras on a horse) and "sort of" loses a duel against Syrio Forel (who is supposed to have been the best swordsman in Braavos, under the Sealord's direct orders - not a normal warrior). Both aren't a real indicator of anything, in my opinion.

Actually Meryn Trant and Boros Blount should be both competent fighters, given that they are trained knights.

To answer OP's question - Bronn is able to kill at least two trained knights in the series: despite the show making him look very strong, we have to remember that Vardis Egen was handicapped (wrong sword and wrong behavior durng the fight) and Balman Byrch taken by surprise.

Not to underestimate or overestimate Bronn, but to show that if people let him do what he wants, they pay for it.

If a clash between Bronn and Meryn would happen, it's a tie unless Meryn allows Bronn to execute whatever strategy he may have in mind. And in that case he's most likely dead.

I get the impression that Trant is a perfectly capable swordsman, although he is getting older and perhaps hasn't kept training as hard as barristan to maintain his ability. His real issue is that he doesn't seem to have any real interest in dying for his king like a good white cloak, and as a result can't really be trusted to serve well.

Jaime wanted an opportunity to fight Ned because he thought he might be a challenge. Though he said Trant was good, he didn't seem to think him exceptional, so I'd say that he's probably up in the top 10% of swordsmen but not quite as good as Ned...or maybe Jaime thought Ned was an interesting fighter because of his sword. An expertly wielded Valyrian steel greatsword could be very dangerous even to a more skilled swordsman, especially one wielding plain castle forged steel.

Yeah also Ned was pretty unknown as a fighter to Jaime, never having faced before on a tourney or something, that would make Jaime curious I think

Yeah also Ned was pretty unknown as a fighter to Jaime, never having faced before on a tourney or something, that would make Jaime curious I think

Also, he should be aware that he killed several KG at the Tower of Joy, that should give him a reason to be interested.

Also, he should be aware that he killed several KG at the Tower of Joy, that should give him a reason to be interested.

Are we certain that Ned did kill one of the KG? I thought he had fought Arthur Dayne along with other guy and utterly failed to vanquish him. It was only Howland Reed's intervention which saved him. I don't remember he ever saying he killed a KG.

Are we certain that Ned did kill one of the KG? I thought he had fought Arthur Dayne along with other guy and utterly failed to vanquish him. It was only Howland Reed's intervention which saved him. I don't remember he ever saying he killed a KG.

That's all we know about the fight, that HR saved Ned's life. There is no evidence of who killed which KG, to declare The Ned a great or bad fighter based on what may or may not have happened at ToJ is entirely speculative. Why is this even discussed in a Meryn fucking Trant thread, anyway?

I think Jaime calls him adequate. Cersei doesn't want her life depending on his martial skills, so he can't be a great/good swordsman.

If the Lanns gave him a position where he was guarding a basket with most of Tywin's eggs, then he at least had to be trustworthy and capable enough to cut some peasant or smack little girls. Jaime who knows his shit when it involves swordsmanship and is very proud about his skill seems to consider Trant a capable man.

In the other hand, the only KG that Jaime considered dangerous was Mandon Moore and not precisely because of his skill. So it's fair to assume that Trant was surely far from being Balon Swann, Brienne or Barristan, let alone the Red Viper of Dorne or both Cleganes, but still good enough to be of more use than the idiot of Boros Blount and that fool of Arys Oakheart.

What makes Moore more capable is a seemingly functional brain...something Trant and Blount lack.

But I agree, Jaime had been sparring against Trant for years and felt Trant was adequate.

Archived