Small Questions v.10088

Jon Weirgaryen

How did the Spicers get their surname? There don't seem to be any other examples of lowborns with a family name in the books, so were they named for their trade in an Essosi fashion, did they make enough money to get above their origins and give themselves a surname, or was there a small house that happened to be called Spicer which they married into?

Do they have a coat of arms, even if they have never born arms?

The Spicer's coat of arms is three black pepper pots (what the hell? :dunno: ) one a saffron bend across a field of green and silver stripes. (From the wiki)

Since they were traders, I imagine they were able to buy their land and titles. This might even have been under the rule of Tytos Lannister, but I'm not sure.

Is there any mention in the books of a sighting of the moon in daytime ? Seems like the moon is mostly, if not only, noticed during the night. This quote from Clash 17 makes it look like moonrise is a time in the night :

If it's true, that would be a difference between Planetos and Earth that I don't remember seeing mentioned. Could it have been magically induced, like the disturbed seasons ?

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but we shouldn't be able to see the moon during the day nearly as much as we do, westeros hasn't entered the industrial era yet.

Hi !

I have a couple of questions, that might seem rather strange !

Does anyone, at any point... fart in the books ? ... secondly, does anyone in the book..ahem.. masturbate ? There's all types of sexual depravity afoot in the books, but never at one point does it refer to, say Tyrion drinking wine and beating off.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but we shouldn't be able to see the moon during the day nearly as much as we do, westeros hasn't entered the industrial era yet.

Could you please elaborate ? I'm not sure I understand the link with the industrial era. Do you mean there is more artificial light during the night in an industrial era ?

Hi !

Does anyone, at any point... fart in the books ? ... secondly, does anyone in the book..ahem.. masturbate ? There's all types of sexual depravity afoot in the books, but never at one point does it refer to, say Tyrion drinking wine and beating off.

I'm not positive but we may very well "see" Tyrion masterbate in Dance but I could be wrong. As for farting, Barristan tells us he shit his pants at his first battle. Another "sexual depravity" most people miss, is that there is a subtle line hinting at Theon having blown Ramsay on his wedding night.

Could you please elaborate ? I'm not sure I understand the link with the industrial era. Do you mean there is more artificial light during the night in an industrial era ?

No not during the night, google it, pollution in the air causes some light refraction of something like that and allows us to see the moon during the day, which would otherwise be a very rare occurance.

Does anyone, at any point... fart in the books ?

According to the Queen of Thorns, there's at least Garth Tyrell. From Feast 7 :

Then (Mace's) mother appeared and slid her arm through his own. "It would seem that Lord Tywin did not share his plans with our regent, I can't imagine why. Still, there 'tis, no use hectoring Her Grace. She is quite right, you must write Lord Leyton before Garth boards a ship. You know the sea will sicken him and make his farting worse." Lady Olenna gave Cersei a toothless smile. "Your council chambers will smell sweeter with Lord Gyles, though I daresay that coughing would drive me to distraction. We all adore dear old uncle Garth, but the man is flatulent, that cannot be gainsaid. I do abhor foul smells."

Hi !

Hi !

Garth Tyrell, better known as Garth the Gross, is the uncle of Lord Mace Tyrell. He serves his nephew as the Lord Seneschal of Highgarden, as he served Mace's father LordLuthor[1]. He has two bastard sons, Garse and Garrett Flowers. He is flatulent.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Garth_Tyrell

No not during the night, google it, pollution in the air causes some light refraction of something like that and allows us to see the moon during the day, which would otherwise be a very rare occurance.

The only link I could find between the moon and air pollution is the phenomenon of "orange moon," or "Harvest moon" (source)

And on the contrary, articles such as this one or this one state it's not unusual to see the moon by day.

However as it gets closer to the New Moon, the Moon gets closer to the sun. This may make the moon less visible at night but it sure makes it more visible in the day.

So that is why we can see the moon during the day. The moon is highly reflective and close to the Earth so it is very visible both day and night. Its orbit increases its visibility because the Moon gets close to the sun towards the beginning of the lunar cycle as travels around the sky. So it increases visibility during the day.

Secondly, does anyone in the book..ahem.. masturbate ?

There's Dany, doing it alone before Irri wakes and helps her. From Storm 23 :

Once, so tormented she could not sleep, Dany slid a hand down between her legs, and gasped when she felt how wet she was. Scarce daring to breathe, she moved her fingers back and forth between her lower lips, slowly so as not to wake Irri beside her, until she found one sweet spot and lingered there, touching herself lightly, timidly at first and then faster. Still, the relief she wanted seemed to recede before her, until her dragons stirred, and one screamed out across the cabin, and Irri woke and saw what she was doing.

I'm not positive but we may very well "see" Tyrion masterbate in Dance but I could be wrong. As for farting, Barristan tells us he shit his pants at his first battle. Another "sexual depravity" most people miss, is that there is a subtle line hinting at Theon having blown Ramsay on his wedding night.

where is that implied about theon. arent you confusing it with the fact he did that to jeyne poole?

There's Dany, doing it alone before Irri wakes and helps her. From Storm 23 :

Tyrion does it on the Shy Maid too, whilst thinking of Lemore. I don't have the books to quote from at the minute, but its something to the effect of being.unable to sleep and reaching down a hand or something like that. I remember it because I've answered this before...

I found the quote about Tyrion...

“Good morrow, Hugor.” Septa Lemore had emerged in her white robes, cinched at the waist with a woven belt of seven colors. Her hair flowed loose about her shoulders. “How did you sleep?”

“Fitfully, good lady. I dreamed of you again.” A waking dream. He could not sleep, so he had eased a hand between his legs and imagined the septa atop him, breasts bouncing.

:leaving:

35 in early 298AC. Since it is unknown whether his nameday had already passed in that year or not, he was born in either 262AC or 263AC

How many years passed between AGOT and ASOS ? In GOT S4 Jaime was 40 years , if it was less than 5 years between AGOT and ASOS then Jaime was older than Ned or does the show change the age of the characters?

How many years passed between AGOT and ASOS ? In GOT S4 Jaime was 40 years , if it was less than 5 years between AGOT and ASOS then Jaime was older than Ned or does the show change the age of the characters?

Show =/= books.

ShowJaime is 40 in season 4. If that mentioning was prior to Joff's wedding, that was in 299AC, if after, it was in 300AC.. BookJaime was born in 266AC, and turned 33 in 299AC, and 34 in 300AC.

A Game of Thrones occurs mostly in 298AC (prologue is 297AC, possibly the first few Dany's as well, the last few chapters of the book are 299AC). Entire Clash is 299AC, and up until Joff's wedding, Storm is 299AC as well.

So in short, yeah, the show changed ages :) they also have more time between the rebellion and the start of the story. They aged everyone up due to the low ages some POVs have in the books, and how some scenes could be seen as illegal if the ages of the characters were kept.

Can anyone tell me about how much time passed between arya leaving Harrenhal and Pate dying in oldtown?

In other words, was it possible for jaqen (assuming he was indeed this omnious alchemist) to travel from Harrenhal to Braavos and from there all the way to oldtown in the same time?

Archived