Small Questions v.10088

Jon Weirgaryen

Can anyone tell me about how much time passed between arya leaving Harrenhal and Pate dying in oldtown?

In other words, was it possible for jaqen (assuming he was indeed this omnious alchemist) to travel from Harrenhal to Braavos and from there all the way to oldtown in the same time?

It's not yet perfect, but it's starting to get close.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aj_uNZmcJaTddG9BVU5tRnJJTE5KcE5JRkFha1ZfNUE#gid=8

Arya leaving Harrenhal has been placed at 10/3/299, Pate's death at 1/26/300

Would such a journey (Harrenhal -> Braavos -> Oldtown) be possible? No, too little time, most like.

From Harrenhal directly to Oldtown? Yes, probably.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aj_uNZmcJaTddG9BVU5tRnJJTE5KcE5JRkFha1ZfNUE#gid=8

Arya leaving Harrenhal has been placed at 10/3/299, Pate's death at 1/26/300

Ah thank you, this timeline is really good :)

And with its help I came to the same conclusion

conclusion. Between jaqen leaving Harrenhal (got that wrong in my original question) and Pate dying lie little more than 6 months.Apparently getting from saltpants to Braavos already took Arya one month, so it is indeed quite unlikely.

Can anyone tell me about how much time passed between arya leaving Harrenhal and Pate dying in oldtown?

In other words, was it possible for jaqen (assuming he was indeed this omnious alchemist) to travel from Harrenhal to Braavos and from there all the way to oldtown in the same time?

The reason I am never specific about dates and distances is precisely so that people won't sit down and do this sort of thing.

My suggestion would be to put away the ruler and the stopwatch, and just enjoy the story.---GRRM

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Chronology_and_Distances

So no... nobody can tell you how much time passed between Arya leaving Harrenhal and the Pate prologue.

My suggestion would be to put away the ruler and the stopwatch, and just enjoy the story.---GRRM

Like most people on this site, I'm already far too deep into the story to actually take any joy out if it.

... No seriously, I was just trying to puzzle out what this FM acting as jaqen might be up to and if could possibly have been to Braavos again to get new orders ;)

Jaime. He slept with her when he was Aerys' Kingsguard (I.think) and on the morning of her wedding

Not while he was a KG for Aerys (as Tywin had resigned and Cersei thus was at CR while Jamie was in KL), but after Jamie was knighted, and visited KL (when Tywin was still Hand), they had sex. And perhaps even younger too.

And the morning of Cersei's wedding indeed. And during her marriage as well, of course.

Not while he was a KG for Aerys (as Cerseii was at CR and Jamie in KL), but after Jamie was knighted, and Jamie visites KL, they had sex. And perhaps even younger too.

And the morning of Cersei's wedding indeed. And during her marriage as well, of course.

Yeah, I was trying to remember when they met at the Inn at King's Landing, I assume thay was the one.after he was knighted?

Ah yes, was that not where the idea of being.a Kingsguard was put forward, now I think on it

Like most people on this site, I'm already far too deep into the story to actually take any joy out if it.

... No seriously, I was just trying to puzzle out what this FM acting as jaqen might be up to and if could possibly have been to Braavos again to get new orders ;)

It is possible... because the timeline is loose... it is very hard to exclude much.

That response from GRRM was to a few holes like the one you are suggesting might be created by having JH go to Bravos. My answer was even if it does, it does not prevent GRRM from writing it.

Why not look at Sam's journey from the wall to Old Town over Bravos. That started at the beginning of aFfC.. JH was further south and could have started at the end of aCoK.

Not while he was a KG for Aerys (as Tywin had resigned and Cersei thus was at CR while Jamie was in KL), but after Jamie was knighted, and visited KL (when Tywin was still Hand), they had sex. And perhaps even younger too.

I remember right Cersei and Jaime was caught having sex when they where younger.

eta: never miind, was answering to a stale part of the thread of the past and did not realize it.

Being up-to-date now:

I was just trying to puzzle out what this FM acting as jaqen might be up to and if could possibly have been to Braavos again to get new orders ;)

There might have been no need for that. He might have had current orders all the time. Both Jaquen and The Kindly Man teach Arya (and us readers) that it does not matter how much time passes before the gift of death is given once a person has been chosen. So the clue is a big one that he already has got orders.

Orders might have been relayed by some another member of the House of Black and White. We have not seen that happen, so maybe that thought is off.

The other thing people have been wondering is if he stopped by at Pyke, maybe 299-11-15 ...

I could be mistaken, but I think trees grow on the slopes aroubd the Titan

ETA: Meaning its probably not the clinate. Specially since we know trees grow in the Courts of the mighty. So it can't be a climate in which they can't grow

how much time would it take jaqen to go from harrenhal to pyke, and then to oldtown?

difficult one.

A higly motivated expert rider might make HH-Lannisport in 16 days. Double that for normal people.

Find a ship to Pyke and a berch means good luck, I most favourable constant winds a good sailing ship might make it from LP to Pyke in two days. Otherwise, any possible amount of time longer.

So: 3-6+ weeks.

ASAP?

Really?

Aeron knew some Farwynds, a queer folk who held lands on the westernmost shores of Great Wyk and the scattered isles beyond, rocks so small that most could support but a single household. Of those, the Lonely Light was the most distant, eight days' sail to the northwest amongst rookeries of seals and sea lions and the boundless grey oceans. The Farwynds there were even queerer than the rest. Some said they were skinchangers, unholy creatures who could take on the forms of sea lions, walruses, even spotted whales, the wolves of the wild sea.

[...]

His eyes, Aeron saw, were now grey, now blue, as changeable as the seas. Mad eyes, he thought, fool's eyes. The vision he spoke of was doubtless a snare set by the Storm God to lure the ironborn to destruction. The offerings that his men spilled out before the kingsmoot included sealskins and walrus tusks, arm rings made of whalebone, warhorns banded in bronze.

AFfC 19 The Drowned Man

Archived