Small Questions v.10088

Jon Weirgaryen

Do we know if there's a minimum age for the Night's Watch? I know they took Mance when he was very young. What I'm wondering is do people send unwanted children there ever, and who takes care of them.

Perhaps when children are old enough to make such a travel on their own. If parents don't want their child, they'll just dump the child somewhere, not travel all the way north to drop them off an the NW.

Children are taken young, by the wondering crows though. Arya was 10, the youngest orphans Yoren accepted were about 11 or 12.

I think they just prefer their recruits a bit older, but when they really can't find the men, they'll accept some younger ones, like Hot Pie, Lommy, or Mance.

Always. The genes for baldness are on the X chromosome, which in males is always inherited from the mother, as the Y is always inherited from the father. :)

It's a little more complicated, here is a link to the genetics involved.

http://genetics.thetech.org/original_news/news100

"Baldness happens because of the genes people inherit from both their mom and dad. Some studies show that 80% of balding is genetic."

Perhaps when children are old enough to make such a travel on their own. If parents don't want their child, they'll just dump the child somewhere, not travel all the way north to drop them off an the NW.

Children are taken young, by the wondering crows though. Arya was 10, the youngest orphans Yoren accepted were about 11 or 12.

I think they just prefer their recruits a bit older, but when they really can't find the men, they'll accept some younger ones, like Hot Pie, Lommy, or Mance.

Thanks.

Younger than that even A more certain example

"My lord, when I was looking through the annals I came on another boy commander. Four hundred years before the Conquest. Osric Stark was ten when he was chosen, but he served for sixty years. That’s four, my lord. You’re not even close to being the youngest ever chosen. You’re fifth youngest, so far.”

If he was chosen at age ten, he was surely with the Night's Watch a short while before that

Younger than that even A more certain example

If he was chosen at age ten, he was surely with the Night's Watch a short while before that

Yeah, probably.. Jon was at the NW for 1,5 years when he was chosen, so perhaps that would be a "sort of" minimum?

At least past the infant stage. Where the brothers don't have to constantly watch the children, because when that needs to be done, less work gets done ;)

Is there a time-line for when Robert became King and Jon A became Hand??

Within at least 9 months, Robert was properly crowned, and most likely Jon Arryn became the Hand of the King either that same day, or shortly after.

That said, Robert would most likely have been crowned shortly after he arrived in KL, shortly after the Sack, in 283AC

Archived