Line of succession

Hi, this is Reasno from the Chinese wiki project.

I am thinking, what if we make a new "line of succession" section for major houses?

For sure the succession line can be deduced from family trees but for some houses like the Freys it is a bit harder to guess at first glance. In addtion there are at least 3 different succession laws in Westeros. It may be helpful to list lines of succession and their respective disputes explictly.

What do you guys think?

I think it will be rather difficult to do this. Especially since we don't have actual "laws" spelled out in the books, other than "a son comes before an uncle, and a daughter comes before an uncle as well".

We can always try to write such texts, of course. But I'd advise posting those texts here first, so it can be judged whether it is correct and/or necessary.

I think it will be rather difficult to do this. Especially since we don't have actual "laws" spelled out in the books, other than "a son comes before an uncle, and a daughter comes before an uncle as well".

In AFFC Asha tells Victarion, "The Crow's Eye is a kraken. The elder brother comes before the younger. But I am the child of King Balon's body, so I come before you both."

The Freys don't seem to follow this, though. In ACOK after Luwin tells of Stevron's death:

Little Walder: Does this mean Ser Emmon's the heir now?

Big Walder: Don't be stupid. The sons of the first son come before the second son. Ser Ryman is next in line, and then Edwyn and Black Walder and Petyr Pimple. And then Aegon and all his sons.

If true, the Frey method ignores Edwyn's daughter Walda in favor of Edwyn's brother Black Walder, and it ignores Petyr's daughter Perra in favor of Ryman's brother Aegon. Jinglebell isn't mentioned as having any children in the appendices, however, so maybe the Frey boys are just unreliable?

In AFFC Asha tells Victarion, "The Crow's Eye is a kraken. The elder brother comes before the younger. But I am the child of King Balon's body, so I come before you both."

The Freys don't seem to follow this, though. In ACOK after Luwin tells of Stevron's death:

If true, the Frey method ignores Edwyn's daughter Walda in favor of Edwyn's brother Black Walder, and it ignores Petyr's daughter Perra in favor of Ryman's brother Aegon. Jinglebell isn't mentioned as having any children in the appendices, however, so maybe the Frey boys are just unreliable?

Perhaps the two Walders aren't the right source for this, as they say that Ryman is "past 40, I bet", while we later learn that Rymans younger brother is 50, which would make Ryman 10 years older as was previously suggested by the two boys..

Archived