My issues with the Blackfyre theory

Chebyshov

I might be one of the few who, despite liking Dany and Jon, wants Aegon as King instead. I like his plot and I like the kid. To me, thinking "he's there to spoil X's arc" is not enough.

Anyway, I've always said that if Aegon is not Rhaegar's son, people will notice, delusion or not. For instance, I was re-reading some Cersei last night, the parts when she daydreams about Aurane Waters. First, she think he's Rhaegar Reborn, but then, she realises that Valyrian looks is not enough to look like Rhaegar: they have completely different bone structure and features. While the Blackfyres have the same root, with time, they have mixed with other people. And Aegon also has/had Elia's blood, meaning, the Martell's.

About what's the significance of his appearance, Aegon is not the plotwist, and never was. In very old threads, there is a good amount of boarders who, as soon as the firs Tyrion chapter was released, figured out that Young Griff was going to be passed as Aegon, and he was either really Aegon, some kid or Griff's real son. What came as a surprise was Varys being part of it. Up until that, we don't know what he's up to, in the same way he didn't have much clear what LF was up to until the end of aFfC. Sometimes, the real mysteries aren't the person but that surrounding them. In Jon's case, what matters is the "why": why Rhaegar ran away with Lyanna? What was he expecting with him?. None of that has yet been answered. In Aegon's, is what Varys want. he says he does it for the realm, but does he? Even if Aegon is real, why Varys cares?

Introducing him earlier wouldn't work with the rest of the story. He was introduced at exactly the right time. The War of the 5 Kings is over. Stannis is busy up north. Tywin Lannister is dead. And Dany's still in Essos.

Just take a few minutes to think about how messed up and chaotic the whole thing gets if Young Griff shows up earlier. First of all there's no surprise twist (though actually I was expecting it from the moment I read that baby Aegon was unrecognizable), and second GRRM would have had to put him in Westeros a lot sooner which screws up the whole thing. No way he'd get away with two Targs playing around in Essos for most of the series.

Oh, I agree he was introduced at the right time for THIS story. I just believe that a story in which one of the heroes would turn out to be the real Aegon would have had to have been a different story from the beginning.

@JonCon, I agree...Varys's motives have always been the most intriguing to me. I'd also be fine with Aegon on the IT; he's kind of been painted as the "people's king," which I love. We'll see if he makes good on any of this though.

We know Varys has been planning for years and if it's to all end up in a puff of dragon smoke then well...it's shit.

I think maybe you like Varys too much. You realize that Varys is not going to be a hero in this story or win in the end, don't you? Varys is an important character, but his role is as a manipulator--not as an ultimate hero. In the end, the plans of a manipulator usually turn to shit. It won't just be a puff of dragon smoke, but it will be a grand battle--and (f)Aegon likely will die (at least that is my best guess). I don't care how long Varys has been planning, the best laid plans . . .

I think maybe you like Varys too much. You realize that Varys is not going to be a hero in this story or win in the end, don't you? Varys is an important character, but his role is as a manipulator--not as an ultimate hero. In the end, the plans of a manipulator usually turn to shit. It won't just be a puff of dragon smoke, but it will be a grand battle--and (f)Aegon likely will die (at least that is my best guess). I don't care how long Varys has been planning, the best laid plans . . .

Varys is far far down my list of favourite characters. It's just how he's been presented. On the other hand, LF is someone who's been presented as opportunistic and I don't expect any of his grand plans to come true.

Anyway, I hope Aegon has an important role. His introduction was a breath of fresh air in those dull Essos chapters.

Varys is far far down my list of favourite characters. It's just how he's been presented. On the other hand, LF is someone who's been presented as opportunistic and I don't expect any of his grand plans to come true.

Anyway, I hope Aegon has an important role. His introduction was a breath of fresh air in those dull Essos chapters.

I guess we disagree on how Varys has been presented. He has been presented as very clever and scheming, but not as someone who can be the "hero" or win the game of thrones.

I believe (f)Aegon will play an important role. As I said many times above, I believe he will be an adversary to other main characters like the Lannisters and Dany. I think he likely will be around for a while--but remember that he is not a POV characters, so we can only see him when he is around a POV character (and Tyrion is not with him any more). But I think his role will drive the narrative forward regarding the game of thrones and the fall of the Lannisters and ultimate rise of Dany in Westeros.

I guess we disagree on how Varys has been presented. He has been presented as very clever and scheming, but not as someone who can be the "hero" or win the game of thrones.

I believe (f)Aegon will play an important role. As I said many times above, I believe he will be an adversary to other main characters like the Lannisters and Dany. I think he likely will be around for a while--but remember that he is not a POV characters, so we can only see him when he is around a POV character (and Tyrion is not with him any more). But I think his role will drive the narrative forward regarding the game of thrones and the fall of the Lannisters and ultimate rise of Dany in Westeros.

JonCon is pov character, Aegon's unofficial hand. Soon we'll have another set of eyes in Arianne.

How can you tell he won't be some sort of unsung hero at the end? There is definitely more about Varys than him simply being some mummer with ambitions.

How can you tell he won't be some sort of unsung hero at the end? There is definitely more about Varys than him simply being some mummer with ambitions.

I cannot be 100% sure, but it is just the "read" I get from the tone of the author. While not a perfect analogy, after book 6 of Harry Potter, I had a debate with someone about Snape. I insisted that Snape was really trying to help Harry and she thought he was not. I thought the tone regarding how Rowling wrote Snape--and the other clues--made it clear that while he was not a nice person, but he was trying to help Harry (of course I was right and she was wrong). Usually--although not always--I am right about these things. So I might be wrong about Varys--but my sense is that he is set up for a fall and not to be a hero--unsung or otherwise. Now Jaime, on the other hand, is someone who I think is being set up to be somewhat of an unsung hero.

Archived