Dorne Appreciation Thread

Chebyshov

Not really, I mean the King ordered them to call the banners and all that and Doran was, like, "nah, they're just gonna hang out in the Boneway." But I guess the same can be said for the Vale, but whatever.

The fact that Dorne got to keep its own legal system and that the Martells got to continue to style themselves as sovereign rulers suggests to me that the treaty that made Dorne part of the Seven Kingdoms was ridiculously favourable to them and what really just window dressing so that they could stop with the constant petty boarder wars.

Ahhh okay. Yeah I see what you're saying. They are indeed de jure part of the Kingdoms, but de facto are definitely more autonomous than anything else. Thank the gods ;)

And I totally agree with that reading of the treaty, I think that's exactly what it was.

And yet, when they had the opportunity, they chickened out, just like all the other greenlanders.

I mean independence has never been on the agenda of the Martells, so there's no sense in pursuing it. Now, if I were Prince of Dorne...

Let's change the topic somewhat:

What will Arianne do next?

Will Elia Sand try to jump fAegon's bone?

Daemon Sand and JonCon, will Jonny be able to forget his silver prince?

What the hell will the High Sparrow do when he meets Tyene?

Cersei and Nym. 'Nuff said.

What will Arianne do next? - Gonna go out on a limb here and go with "attempt to seduce fAegon"

Will Elia Sand try to jump fAegon's bone? - Wouldn't doubt it.

Daemon Sand and JonCon, will Jonny be able to forget his silver prince? - JonCon is too busy trying to win a war before he dies from Greyscale to worry about such matters

What the hell will the High Sparrow do when he meets Tyene? - Die, hopefully

Cersei and Nym. 'Nuff said. - 'Nuff indeed.

I like the fact that the Targaryens had to marry Dorne to finally have them as part of the Seven Kingdoms. And not only they married a Martell woman, the sent a Targaryen princess to them, making the Martell's future generations, part royal as well. Can any other realm say so openly "we also descend from dragons?". Suck it, Tywin Lannister.

Be mad because...

Nope. Aegon will.

He could be thinking about Rhaegar the whole time he's humping Daemon for what I care...

Say "hubba hubba"

Be mad because...

Nope. Aegon will.

I find the idea that Arianne would give up ruling Dorne to be Queen Consort rather silly.

What's that story about Julius Caeser passing through a village in the Alps and saying he would rather be the first man there than the second man in Rome?

Yeah that.

I find the idea that Arianne would give up ruling Dorne to be Queen Consort rather silly.

What's that story about Julius Caeser passing through a village in the Alps and saying he would rather be the first man there than the second man in Rome?

Yeah that.

If Aegon feel attracted to Elia, there is no much she can do about it, even if she actually manages to have sex with him. What's she going to say "you have to marry me because you dishonour me"?

If Aegon feel attracted to Elia, there is no much she can do about it, even if she actually manages to have sex with him. What's she going to say "you have to marry me because you dishonour me"?

fAegon strikes me as easily manipulated. I mean, Tyrion didn't even have to have sex with him to get him to do exactly what he wanted.

But I'm mostly objecting to the "Arianne will marry fAegon" theory.

Or that she's mad at Dany because by letting Viserys die she doesn't get to be Queen.

Get in the kingmaking business

if she stops sucking facing with that one guy...Feathers? Or whatever

Sadly the way his hair blew in the wind is one-of-a-kind.

Think, "my gods does white suit her complexion. "

Cersei and Nym. 'Nuff said.

I'm so excited for this.

fAegon strikes me as easily manipulated. I mean, Tyrion didn't even have to have sex with him to get him to do exactly what he wanted.

Or that she's mad at Dany because by letting Viserys die she doesn't get to be Queen.

Ok, I will defend Aegon because he's part Martell until proved otherwise :P

We give Tyrion too much credit for him going to Westeros. Even if Tyrion had say nothing at all, Dany would be still unavailable. The GC was never going to go and fight the mess in Meereen because that would take years. Aegon, otoh, was already showing some independence much before Tyrion. When he's ordered to stay hidden during the stone men attack, he says he wants to stay and fight.

Aegon is his own man, who takes in all he hears, we can't forget his counsel labelled how dangerous the rooad to SB was.

How else would the line of Daemon and his beloved Daenerys unite and the line of the Aegon the Dragonsbane continue without her lovey hips? Through Arianne the black Dragon will be born again as bright as the sun.

Dorne is the best place in all Westeros. It's where I'd choose to live if I was there.

Ha. I was actually chatting with a dude about this. He was all "I wanna live in the Reach or the North or BEYOND THE WALL! Def beyond the Wall" and I was all "Lol, nope Dorne",

Not sure why people like Arianne.I mean considering she didn't care about a young girl dying (Myrcella) and killed one of the only "good" ( I say good because the rest of the KG are pretty much all terrible while he at least didn't hit Sansa hard and actually feels terrible about it) members of the KG after lying to the poor bastard about loving him.

I just don't really like her or the Sand Snakes cause they want to avenge the death of children by.....murdering children.

Ellaria Sand is the only person I like as shes the only smart person.I mean Doran seems fixated on killing as many members of his family as possible.Sending Quentyn on a mission that Oberyn would have done far far far better with as he has actually been to Essos has contacts with sellswords and is one suave motherfucker.And instead send your hotheaded brother to KL and expect him to act calmly when he has never ever acted as such.

And now why not send his daughters who are just like him into the same place that got him killed.

Ellaria is the only person in/from Dorne still alive that I like

(I like Oberyn but his Montoya moment was so stupid."My Name is Oberyn Martell you kill my sister and her children prepare to die")

"Brace yourself citrus fruits being thrown at you are coming"

Not sure why people like Arianne.I mean considering she didn't care about a young girl dying (Myrcella) and killed one of the only "good" ( I say good because the rest of the KG are pretty much all terrible while he at least didn't hit Sansa hard and actually feels terrible about it) members of the KG after lying to the poor bastard about loving him.

I just don't really like her or the Sand Snakes cause they want to avenge the death of children by.....murdering children.

Ellaria Sand is the only person I like as shes the only smart person.I mean Doran seems fixated on killing as many members of his family as possible.Sending Quentyn on a mission that Oberyn would have done far far far better with as he has actually been to Essos has contacts with sellswords and is one suave motherfucker.And instead send your hotheaded brother to KL and expect him to act calmly when he has never ever acted as such.

And now why not send his daughters who are just like him into the same place that got him killed.

Ellaria is the only person in/from Dorne still alive that I like

(I like Oberyn but his Montoya moment was so stupid."My Name is Oberyn Martell you kill my sister and her children prepare to die")

"Brace yourself citrus fruits being thrown at you are coming"

I think that the points you raise are quite interesting.

In regards to Arianne, I had the same feeling when I started reading FFC. I don't mind characters who are flawed or do mistakes (Jaime is my favourite character btw) but Arianne seemed insipid and vapid. In a story, where Catelyn is present when Renly is assassinated, Sansa is Joffrey's hostage, Arya is wandering the Riverlands under many secret identities, Asha invades the North, Dany becomes a conqueror and Brienne fights a bear, Arianne greatest accomplishment was seducing a troubled knight and unsuccessfully plotting to crown Myrcella.

And then in her last FFC, I read this and it was the moment when I started to like her.

That night she cried herself to sleep . . . for the first time, if not the last. Even in her dreams she found no peace. She dreamt of Arys Oakheart caressing her, smiling at her, telling her that he loved her . . . but all the while the quarrels were in him and his wounds were weeping, turning his whites to red. Part of her knew it was a nightmare, even as she dreamt it. Come morning all of this will vanish, the princess told herself, but when morning came, she was still in her cell, Ser Arys was still dead, and Myrcella . . . I never wanted that, never. I meant the girl no harm. All I wanted was for her to be a queen. If we had not been betrayed . . .

The fact that she feels guilty about Arys and Myrcella, made her character well-rounded. I am not really interested in the wrong deeds that characters commit but rather at the impact of those deeds on them.

Arianne and to extent all the Martells with the possible exception of Oberyn suffer from lack of exposition.

Their introduction is too abrupt.

We know that the main theme in the westerosi chapters is the Stark/Lannister conflict. Houses such as the Greyjoy, Tyrell and Baratheon are also heavily involved in the conflict. Loras Tyrell and Renly Baratheon were introduced in GOT, Stannis and Davos in COK, Theon in GOT and became POV in COK.

But the Martells were completely absent. Apart from a few, scarce references, they remain uninvolved in the affairs that shock westeros.

If GRRM had decided to include a chapter that takes place in Dorne, in SOS or if he had given Myrcella chapters, perhaps the introduction wouldn't have been so abrupt and the impact on the reader would have been greater. Arys, like Quentyn, is a redshirt. His purpose is to die in a way that will alter the heroine, in that case Arianne. Still, Arys was a minor character in the books, of little importance. He will be known as the KG knight who beat Sansa less fierce than the rest.

Nevertheless, unlike her cousins, Arianne does feel guilty and hopefully she will learn from her mistakes.

WOW

In her chapters though, she seems to be more conscious of her mistakes and more mature. There is still hope, I hope.

I absolutely agree about Ellaria and her speech is one of the reasons worth reading the books in the first place.

As for Doran, unless you subscribe to the Dornish Master plan, I cannot understand why he is regarded as a dangerous player.

Doran plays to win, whether at cyvasse or the game of thrones

This is what GRRM said, but win what?

His greatest enemy, Tywin died at the hands of his own son, nothing to do with the Martells.

Ser Willem died and Viserys became too impatient and in the end it cost him his life.

His personal life is a disaster, due to Oberyn's antics he lost Quentyn, then he lost Mellario and he has failed to establish a fatherly bond with his daughter.

I feel sorry for him, and his life is quite tragic, but the fact is that after a certain point he became too cautious and lost control of everything.

I absolutely agree with the bolded part.

Their plans for vengeance are ludicrous, especially Obara whose idea of avenging Oberyn's death, at the hands of a man from the westerlands is to destroy Oldtown :rolleyes:

Archived