US Politics: Tax Inversions are a result of Political Gridlock

lokisnow

That "nominal Democrat" did what no Republican would ever have done: signed into law a marriage equality bill. So I'll take a nominal Democrat any day.

Maybe, maybe not. Four of the New York State Senate GOPers voted in favor of the bill, and it was the GOP Senate Majority Leader that let the bill come to the floor in the first place. Cuomo's entire schtick has been pairing progressive cultural policies with conservative economic policies, a path that the right GOP leader could easily take as well under the right circumstances, particularly in a state like New York.

Maybe, maybe not. Four of the New York State Senate GOPers voted in favor of the bill, and it was the GOP Senate Majority Leader that let the bill come to the floor in the first place. Cuomo's entire schtick has been pairing progressive cultural policies with conservative economic policies, a path that the right GOP leader could easily take as well under the right circumstances, particularly in a state like New York.

I read a good deal about that situation, and it turns out that Cuomo was instrumental at bringing those Republicans on board. They didn't just listen to their better natures; they were given assurances of support by Cuomo. Also, the governor got gay rights groups to hold their fire while the deal was being constructed.

That being said, I'm not opposed to pushing Democratic governors to the right, which I believe last week's primary may have done. The Working Families Party had been giving him quite a bit of heat, and that's to the good, IMO.

I was disputing the notion that Kansas is a 'basket case'. I mean wtf?

Terra are you claiming that California is more fiscally sound than Kansas? They have some of the biggest unfunded liabilities in the country, I think only Illinois is in a worse position?

You are aware that Kansas is coming up short for its bills by millions, sometimes almost a hundred million dollars every single month?

Archived