R+L=J v.101

BearQueen87

Another possibility is that Lyanna wasn't in any position to command them at the time. Remember, the dream narrative is not a literal account of events. Just because she was able to scream for Ned in the dream doesn't mean she would have been able to give orders to the 3KG in reality, even if they would have listened to her.

Must...finish...ToJ essay... 3000 words down, about 600 to go...

Lyanna screamed

As they came together in a rush of steel and shadow, he could hear Lyanna screaming. .---aGoT page 410

and she called for Eddard.

"Eddard" she called, A storm of rose petals blew across the blood-streaked sky, as blue as the eyes of death.

"Lord Eddard," she called again.--aGoT page 410

That being said,

You'll need to wait for future books to find out more about the Tower of Joy and what happened there, I fear.

I might mention, though, that Ned's account, which you refer to, was in the context of a dream... and a fever dream at that. Our dreams are not always literal.--GRRM

http://www.westeros....he_Tower_of_Joy

Luckily we have a non-dream scene to establsh Lyanna was able to communicate.

"I was with her when she died." Ned reminded the king. "She wanted to come home, to rest beside Brandon and father." He could still hear her at times. Promise me, she had cried in that room that smelled of blood and roses. Promise me, Ned. The fever had taken her strength and her voice had been as faint as a whisper, but when he had given his word, the fear had gone out of his sister's eyes. Ned remembered the way she had smiled then, how tightly her fingers had clutched his as she gave up her hold on life, the rose petals spilling from her palm dead and black. After that he remembered nothing. They found him still holding her body. Howland Reed, had taken her hand from his, Ned could recall none of it. "I bring her flowers when I can," he said. "Lyanna was... fond of flowers."--aGoT page 40

Admittedly we only have that Lyanna died after the showdown. She could have been been worse and then gotten better and then died.

Holy moly, I just thought about something.

A promise is being swirled around Ned and Lyanna..... a PRINCE THAT WAS PROMISED????!!!!!!

*ding ding ding*

I'm waiting on Mambru to answer some of these now :)

Come out Mambru!

Well, Ned saw her alive after he fought his way into the Tower, and now she's dead so...

They found him "after" (the showdown and Lyanna's death)

Ok, I hope we are pinned by morning. I need sleeeeeeeeeep.

Ok, I hope we are pinned by morning. I need sleeeeeeeeeep.

This is the second time this week you've stay up for R+L=J thread reasons :-)

And the first time today I managed to ninja you!

How do we know that?

He dreamt an old dream, of three knights in white cloaks. and a tower long fallen, and Lyanna in her bed of blood.---aGoT page 409 paperback.

we do have Lyanna with the 3 knights in white cloaks and the tower. This is the narrator, not Ned's words or the description of the dream.

As they came together in a rush of steel and shadow, he could hear Lyanna screaming. .---aGoT page 410

Dead people usually are not big screamers.

We also have that she died.

"I was with her when she died." Ned reminded the king. "She wanted to come home, to rest beside Brandon and father." He could still hear her at times. Promise me, she had cried in that room that smelled of blood and roses. Promise me, Ned. The fever had taken her strength and her voice had been as faint as a whisper, but when he had given his word, the fear had gone out of his sister's eyes. Ned remembered the way she had smiled then, how tightly her fingers had clutched his as she gave up her hold on life, the rose petals spilling from her palm dead and black. After that he remembered nothing. They found him still holding her body. Howland Reed, had taken her hand from his, Ned could recall none of it. "I bring her flowers when I can," he said. "Lyanna was... fond of flowers."--aGoT page 40

Ned could have gone to the Tower of Joy, talked with Lyanna as she died. Then left and came back to have the showdown.

Well, Ned saw her alive after he fought his way into the Tower, and now she's dead so...

Do we know the fight was before he saw her alive?

After her death, where does it say after the showdown?

As they came together in a rush of steel and shadow, he could hear Lyanna screaming

---aGoT page 410

Dead people usually are not big screamers.

Yep, but remember:

I might mention, though, that Ned's account, which you refer to, was in the context of a dream... and a fever dream at that. Our dreams are not always literal.--GRRM

...so we don't know that actually happened.

Ned could have gone to the Tower of Joy, talked with Lyanna as she died. Then left and came back to have the showdown.

Can anyone point to anything that actually precludes the possibility that the fight with the 3KG happened after Lyanna's death, without assuming that GRRM's warning about the dream isn't a complete red herring? Yes, it's strongly implied in the dream, and yes it seems counter-intuitive at first, but is there any actual evidence?

Do we know the fight was before he saw her alive?

After her death, where does it say after the showdown?

Yep, but remember:

...so we don't know that actually happened.

Can anyone point to anything that actually precludes the possibility that the fight with the 3KG happened after Lyanna's death, without assuming that GRRM's warning about the dream isn't a complete red herring? Yes, it's strongly implied in the dream, and yes it seems counter-intuitive at first, but is there any actual evidence?

You have a point fine person...

He dreamt an old dream, of three knights in white cloaks. and a tower long fallen, and Lyanna in her bed of blood.---aGoT page 409 paperback.

we do have Lyanna with the 3 knights in white cloaks and the tower. This is the narrator, not Ned's words or the description of the dream.

There is a link but not a timeline.

The dreams are not always literal does not apply.

Firebent the wight in Mormonts room. Jon is the next Avatar. After being stabbed he will access the Avatar State and surpress the mutineers with help from Tormund and his member

Actually, given Bran's experience in his coma, I think that Jon's Avatar state is not so much out of question :P

I'm not really clear what you're saying there. It's the narrator, but the narrator is telling us about the contents of Ned's dream.

I don't doubt there really was a tower long fallen, Lyanna in her bed of blood and three knights in white cloaks in both reality and Ned's dream, but as for the received order of events (Ned arrives at tower, Ned fights 3KG, Ned talks to Lyanna, Lyanna dies), I'm struggling. I really can't find anything that demands that things happen in this order unless you accept that the dream is a close parallel of what actually happened, in the order they happened -- and that's a leap of faith, particularly given GRRM's comment that "...dreams are not always literal". Did I miss something? Anyone?

Thanks BearQueen87 for the new thread - and the restoration of the missing dot, too!

:ack:

(also: I just noticed your new #FUCKHBO siggy. Poor sad JonCon and his red beard)

What happened there? You mean no Aegon and no JonCon @ HBO? Or no red beard?? Or what is it?

Archived