What if Catelyn survives the Red Wedding?

naseridrl

The Red Wedding still happens as it did in the books. Only somehow in the mess of it all Catelyn gets outside uninjured. From outside Arya sees Catelyn and a bit like the killing of the Frey soldiers in the show Arya and The Hound are somehow able to kill some Freys sent after Catelyn and get her out of there. What happens next? Does Catelyn try for Lysa or try to find the Blackfish. She's got one child back she assumed was dead. The Hound is sort of helping. If they stay in the Riverlands Nymeria is about as well.

Could Catelyn survive with Arya and would the North rally to her cause in anyway knowing she'd survived the massacre especially if somehow a Lord found out she had Ned's real little girl with her. Maybe Manderley might look for her, who better to find than the Mother who can verify the child he presents is true and has another true Stark child alive with her still.

What would Catelyn think of Arya after seeing her kill? Would mother and daughter now be able to build a more understanding bond after their hardships. What would Littlefinger do? Would the fall out from the Red Wedding be different if somehow Lady Catelyn survives, would Tywin make the Frey's suffer as a consequence that failed to kill her?

Or as I secretly hope would they go to Braavos and learn how to take some serious revenge. :devil:

Catelyn already saw Arya as a way of building allegiances, she had betrothed Arya to a Frey as part of the original deal, that would have obviously been cancelled after RW but Catelyn's first movement with Arya would be towards who she next saw as a possible allegiance through marriage.

would Tywin make the Frey's suffer as a consequence that failed to kill her?

No, we know from Tywin that the plan didn't involve killing Catelyn, he only cared that Robb was killed, with Ned dead Catelyn was no threat insofar as creating Starks, I'm pretty sure Walder wanted to take Catelyn hostage rather than kill her, but Catelyn made that impossible.

I don't know. At what point would she escape? In canon I feel like she lost it before she was murdered. Would she escape before or after she went mad?

I was sort of going for before, with any lingering madness helped by the fact she now knew she had a child who was in her arms and not lost to her or dead.

I'm don't think she would have had a chance to escape. I believe one of the first things the Frey's did was cut all access to and from the room before the bolts started flying. Any northemn who were in there, were either killed or captured.

I'm don't think she would have had a chance to escape. I believe one of the first things the Frey's did was cut all access to and from the room before the bolts started flying. Any northemn who were in there, were either killed or captured.

She could escape in a similar way as to one of Robb's bannermen escaped, by not being inside the hall when the massacre started.

She'd commit suicide if Arya doesn't come back and 'save' her with the hound, before the frey's could use her as they'd wish (politically or otherwise).

If Arya and the hound take Catelym, she'd have Arya to live for, albeit in a very fragile mental state. I don't think she'd be too interested in marrying off Arya as opposed to keeping her close; this is not the same woman in GOT, she is a shell clinging on to the only thing she has left. Where they would go? Not riverrun or Winterfell. Perhaps greywater watch, white harbour, bear island. The homes of the loyal stark bannermen i'd say.

I don't know.

I speculate what would have happened if she'd been captured. Forcible marriage to Tywin, I suspect.

Why Tywin? I suppose it would be so the Lannisters could get a stranglehold on her dynastic rights to Riverrun? But do we think that Tywin would try to sire additional children on her?

Archived