Bronn vs The Mountain

Sir Bronn

Well, the chance was there. It's not like Gregor was undefeatable. After all, Oberyn would have won if he hadn't spent his time faffing about. At least this is something Bronn would avoid. But part of Oberyn's success was using a spear, an unlikely dueling weapon in Westeros, while Bronn would probably have gone with a sword, which Gregor was familiar with.

I think Clegane would have won, but there was obviously a chance for Bronn. He was smart enough no to take it.

Well, the chance was there. It's not like Gregor was undefeatable. After all, Oberyn would have won if he hadn't spent his time faffing about. At least this is something Bronn would avoid. But part of Oberyn's success was using a spear, an unlikely dueling weapon in Westeros, while Bronn would probably have gone with a sword, which Gregor was familiar with.

I think Clegane would have won, but there was obviously a chance for Bronn. He was smart enough no to take it.

There's nothing exotic about a spear, it's one of the most common weapons you can imagine in this context, and it's unbelievable that Ser Gregor Clegane would be unfamiliar with it. He was a knight, and on battlefield he'd have to be prepared to fight, mounted and on foot, against swords, axes, lances, hammers, clubs, spears, flails, poleaxes, farming tools hastily turned into weapons and whatnot. You never know. "He has long arms and a big sword, let's counter his range with something sufficiently long" isn't exactly rocket science. The question isn't whether spear was such a surprise for Clegane (it wasn't), but whether Bronn was expert with it.

Yes, Gregor was very big and strong and heavily armored and faster than he has any business to be with all the above, but clearly he could be killed even one-on-one. Nobody's unbeatable.

I could see Bronn winning he is by far the greater veteran of combat I'm positive he could of come up with something, he is everything opposite to clegane and I do NOT believe Bronn would let something cloud him like Oberyn.

There's nothing exotic about a spear, it's one of the most common weapons you can imagine in this context, and it's unbelievable that Ser Gregor Clegane would be unfamiliar with it. He was a knight, and on battlefield he'd have to be prepared to fight, mounted and on foot, against swords, axes, lances, hammers, clubs, spears, flails, poleaxes, farming tools hastily turned into weapons and whatnot. You never know. "He has long arms and a big sword, let's counter his range with something sufficiently long" isn't exactly rocket science. The question isn't whether spear was such a surprise for Clegane (it wasn't), but whether Bronn was expert with it.

Yes, Gregor was very big and strong and heavily armored and faster than he has any business to be with all the above, but clearly he could be killed even one-on-one. Nobody's unbeatable.

The thing is, I doubt Gregor ever met anyone trying to use a spear as anything put a long sharpened stick. Oberyn clearly put some time into actually developing some skill with the weapon. Skills that would be usefull no where put in a one on one fight.

A battlefield is not a duel. No one is trying to claim that Gregor has never seen a spear. They are not exotic weapons in Westeros, but they are unusual weapons to be used in the at least partly ritual- and tradition-driven one-on-one duels that are trials by combat. Spears seem to be primarily used in formation tactics and for hunting, not as a trained fighter's primary weapon, so it's likely that Oberyn had a skillset very distinct from almost everyone Gregor has ever fought. Of course "being unusual" is not in itself an advantage, going at Clegane with a short mace would have been unusual as well, and also suicide. As for why a spear was an effective choice in that situation, you answered that yourself - it countered Gregor's increased range, and put some distance between Oberyn and his physically superior foe.

I'm surprised most of the support is going towards The Mountain, cause Bronn definitely has the skill, the patience, and the discipline to pull it off. Lets analyse their strengths and weaknesses. Bronn is undoubtedly one of the most skilled sword fighters in the books. In the trial by combat he was in control almost the entire time while facing an experienced knight, and with very little amour and no shield. Tyrion even described him as almost as good as Jaime. Gregor on the other hand seems to rely on mostly brute strength and his aggression. In his duel with Oberyn he was almost never in control and Oberyn predicted almost all his moves. While I'm sure he's skilled to a degree, I doubt he comes close to the likes of Bronn, who was closer to Jaime and Oberyn's level. Bronn even stated that he could probably beat Gregor if he wore him out and get him on his feet, much like how Oberyn did. Gregor has thick armor but if can't protect everything, more over Bronn wouldn't fool around like Oberyn; once he sees a killing blow, he'll go for it. Now I'm not saying it would be a piece of cake, Gregor is a totally different beast from Vargis. The biggest obstacle to Bronn would be Gregors incredibly long reach with his one handed great sword, as well as his shield and thick armour. While Bronn could dodge around Gregors attacks, it's not going to be easy, especially in an enclosed fighting area. Oberyn's spear solved that issue, but Bronn will most likely be sticking with a longsword, so he would have to be extremely cautious and not over extend himself until he's sure Gregor good and worn down. Flanking him would be difficult too with the shield and the reach of his sword, though Bronn is a more skilled fighter so I wouldn't put it passed him to come up with a surprise tactic to take Gregor off guard and get at his vulnerable legs and neck. So all in all I'd say it's a 50/50 chance and contrary to what some of the above posters said Bronn didn't refuse to fight because he was scared. He even confirmed that he had confidence that he could pull it off, it was just not worth the risk and there was no profit in it: If he wins he loses the wife and castle Cersei promised him and Tyrion's not in a position to offer him anything better, except maybe Winterfell if Sansa was found and not put to death(and small chance of that happening). He made an intelligible business decision.

Clegane. The idea that the Mountain wouldn't hit Bronn once is absurd and Gregor only needs one. Besides, Gregor can move in his armor, that Vale knight (Vardis?) needed help from squires to get him up and even then he caught Bronn when he charged him. Also its kinda trying dodging blows all the time, its not effortless. And of course Gregor doesn't need a sword to kill. Oberyn got caught before delivering the killing blow, I don't see why Bronn would be any different

I also see some chances for Bronn. Of course much would depend on the space (in a limited space I would see less chances for Bronn).

With Vardis he mainly dodged, with the mountain he wuold have to figure out something more than that, something that is not based on strenght only.

He is an intelligent person, much more than the mountain IMHO.

So I wouldn't it give it for certain but he stands a chance for me..

I believe Bronn could defeat him. Bronn's style is similar to the Viper, stay at a distance and tire him out. The Vipers downfall was his pride and his hatred for the Mountain, which Bronn doesn't have.

Am I saying Bronn would win, or would win everytime, no, but absolutely he could.

Archived