Was ASOIF largely influenced by Byzantium?

paramount

As I have read the series I am starting to notice lots of similarities between A song of Ice and Fire and Imperial Byzantium and for a while I have wondered weather Byzantium and its politics would have influenced George RR Martin.

Reasons why I think that is because I would say that Qarth is based off the Byzantine capital Constantinople and Imperial Volantis would be largely based off Byzantium as an empire. If we assume that Valyria was Rome and Volantis Byzantium it would match since Volantis is claiming to be successor to Valyria just like Byzantium was to Rome. Also the Volantene factions the Elephants and Tigers may actually be based off the Byzantine factions Blues and Greens.

I can see much influence in politics and intrigue as well especially since the Byzantines had eunuchs in their government as officials just like Varys was to the kings of Westeros. Also in the power play between houses such as Doukas,

In terms of characters I can also see Byzantine influence Justinian II is almost a historical equivalent of Viserys both went made in exile but only in Justinian's case he was able to restore himself to the throne.

With 1000 year long Byzantine history, there are bound to be some similarities between it and elements of ASOIAF. Some of them were likely intentional (e.g. Qarth=Constaninopole or Rome=Valyria), but others just fall short: Viserys (who can just as easily be compared to any exiled prince) was delusional and dumb, while Justinian II was pretty intelligent (prior to getting crazy); Volantis conquered two cities and held them for a century, while Byzantine Empire at its height held large parts of Europe, western Asia and northern Africa (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-51Fr-fjUNOg/TrXZ0Zagy2I/AAAAAAAABgU/aZ7K4fMXw80/s1600/ByzantMapJustinian1st565.jpg) ; power play between powerful houses exist in every empire...

Archived